PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Sports Day

aardvark
01-05-2014, 10:54 PM
One of the better sports days in recent history. Chargers win against the Bengals--San Diego State wins in college hoops at Kansas--then we get kicked in the gut with the announcement that WWII and Korean War veteran, former NY Yankees 2nd baseman, and long-time Padres radio announcer Jerry Coleman passed away today at the age of 89.

Overlay
01-06-2014, 12:30 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hall-of-fame-broadcaster-yankees-world-series-mvp-jerry-coleman-dies-at-89-010514

Jerry Coleman was the only major leaguer to see combat in both World War II and the Korean War. He was the Associated Press rookie of the year in 1949 and the MVP of the 1950 World Series, and played on four world championship teams with the Yankees until he retired as a player after the 1957 season. He managed the San Diego Padres for one season (1980) before joining their broadcast team. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame as a broadcaster.

NJ Stinks
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Definitely a day to remember, Aardvark.

reckless
01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
I believe Ted Williams, in addition to Jerry Coleman, served heroically in both WW II and Korea.

Overlay
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I believe Ted Williams, in addition to Jerry Coleman, served heroically in both WW II and Korea.
Thank you for that additional note. The linked article on Jerry Coleman in my post worded it as "the only major leaguer to see combat in two wars." I'm not prepared to vouch for the validity of that statement one way or the other, or to determine whether the "combat" qualifier excludes Ted Williams, or possibly other major leaguers who may have performed military service in both wars, but not been in actual combat in one or both. I was just summarizing/quoting the content of the link, which I took at face value. I intended no slight or disrespect to any players who performed such service, whether they saw combat or not.

aardvark
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hall-of-fame-broadcaster-yankees-world-series-mvp-jerry-coleman-dies-at-89-010514

Jerry Coleman was the only major leaguer to see combat in both World War II and the Korean War. He was the Associated Press rookie of the year in 1949 and the MVP of the 1950 World Series, and played on four world championship teams with the Yankees until he retired as a player after the 1957 season. He managed the San Diego Padres for one season (1980) before joining their broadcast team. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame as a broadcaster.
Just one correction--Mr Coleman joined the Padres broadcasts in 1972, took the manager's job in 1980, and went back to the booth in 1981.

Overlay
01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Just one correction--Mr Coleman joined the Padres broadcasts in 1972, took the manager's job in 1980, and went back to the booth in 1981.
Thanks, also. (I misinterpreted the way that the article was worded.)