PDA

View Full Version : its was so cold at Northlands Park today that...

Just a Fan
01-04-2014, 10:49 PM
the wings of the starting gate would not open for the 4th race. But did they cancel? No!

Check out the replays for Jan 4th, races 4 and beyond. I've never seen this.

http://www.northlandspark.ca/racing/thoroughbred-racing/watch-live-replays

Stillriledup
01-05-2014, 02:32 AM
You don't see many harness cancellations, a little cold doesn't bother those guys.

Ray2000
01-05-2014, 06:03 AM
It was my only pic3 hit :lol:

Greyfox
01-05-2014, 09:27 AM
You don't see many harness cancellations, a little cold doesn't bother those guys.

I'm not a harness player but I admire the work ethic of harness guys and the hard work done daily by the standardbreds day in and day out.
Even in very cold weather mornings those trainer-drivers and horses are putting several miles in.
I don't know that many fans appreciate their dedication.
Cheers to harness drivers and horses. :ThmbUp:

wilderness
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Generally speaking the reasons for cancellations in today's harness racing are all transportation related.

Most tracks no longer offer FREE-on-grounds-stabling and don't have 800-1200 horses standing out-back.

Horses are hauled in from remote locations in 2-, 4-, 6 and even larger horses trailers on race day. The horses, the horsemen and the trailers are required to fight the traffic (and the weather) to and fro.
In addition, they need to arrive at the track in order to comply with standard pre-race deadlines.

Something as simple as ice in a water bucket can and does create havoc.

IMO, the best time to visit and harness racing stable is on the coldest day of the year.
All the normal visitors are at home in their warm surroundings and the die-hard-attitude is admired and appreciated.

cecil127
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
IMO, the best time to visit and harness racing stable is on the coldest day of the year.
All the normal visitors are at home in their warm surroundings and the die-hard-attitude is admired and appreciated.

+1
and coffee never hurts for tryin to pry a tip outta someone in the barn :D