PDA

View Full Version : Caixa Eletronica

maclr11
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Steve byk reporting that a horrific accident occurred at Belmont training track. Claimed life of the hard knocking millionaire gelding. For repole and pletcher. Also reported serious injury to exercise rider. Anyone sees any updates please post. Would be a tough one to swallow if true.

FiveWide
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Racingwithbruno ‏@Racingwithbruno 33s
Details on the incident at Belmont according to Racingwithbruno sources two horses collided violently on the track, more details coming soon

via Twitter

-Five

Shelby
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this!

maclr11
01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
@Racingwithbruno: Sources tell me from NY that a loose horse was cause of incident, will not identify barn on twitter, collided with Caixa near starting gate

The barn I'm sure will be revealed in time

maclr11
01-04-2014, 10:52 AM
@Hennigracing: RIP Caixa, such a warrior! Prayers for riders involved. #toughgame

Tom
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Sad to hear - he was a real race horse.

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Wow, very sad. I always had a soft spot for Caixa Eletronica, and part of that was his funky name.

There was a video out there of two horses colliding head on. That is something I have never watched, never want to watch, and will never watch. This is the most horrifying accident that I can think of that can happen on track, for human and equine alike.

FiveWide
01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Steve Byk ‏@Steve_Byk 30m
@bigtonypug Collision with loose Englehart horse..

via Twitter

-Five

maclr11
01-04-2014, 11:02 AM
@DRFGrening: Caixa Eletronica and Six Drivers suffered fatal injuries in a head-on collision on Belmont training track this morning. 1/2
@DRFGrening: 2/2 Carlos Castro, rider of Caixa, taken to local hospital was conscious complaining of leg pain. Julio Pezua, rider of Six Drivers, is fine

horses4courses
01-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Only a few horses deserve the description of "warrior".
That fellow wasn't afraid to battle.
RIP

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Very glad to hear riders are apparently ok, for the most part.

magwell
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
In the dictionary under "Race Horse" was his picture ....... Toughest game played outdoors...... SAD day for racing.........:(

lamboguy
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Very glad to hear riders are apparently ok, for the most part.
thank god

JustRalph
01-04-2014, 11:24 AM
http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107263

Sucks.........really like that one......... :bang:

Wickel
01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Was just confirmed on HRTV. Apparently there was a head-on collision between Caixa and a loose maiden this morning. Both suffered fatal injuries and were euthanized. Very sad. Was a big Caixa fan.

classhandicapper
01-04-2014, 12:24 PM
This is beyond horrible news.

I realize this was an accident that could have happened to any horse. It's also hard to a make a strong case for retirement when a horse is still as competitive as Caixa was. But I've been calling for this horse to be retired to Old Friends all year. This one is killing me after Saginaw. I'm sick over this. That horse deserved better.

Shelby
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
DRF article:

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-caixa-eletronica-killed-training-accident

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 12:31 PM
This is beyond horrible news.

I realize this was an accident that could have happened to any horse. It's also hard to a make a strong case for retirement when a horse is still as competitive as Caixa was. But I've been calling for this horse to be retired to Old Friends all year. This one is killing me after Saginaw. I'm sick over this. That horse deserved better.If he would have broken down, your point might be valid.

However, something like this could have easily have taken place before he ever stepped foot in a starting gate for the first time. Therefore, not applicable to even hint of laying even the tiniest amount of blame on the connections for this one.

classhandicapper
01-04-2014, 12:36 PM
If he would have broken down, your point might be valid.

However, something like this could have easily have taken place before he ever stepped foot in a starting gate for the first time. Therefore, not applicable to even hint of laying even the tiniest amount of blame on the connections for this one.

Look, I qualified the statement exactly that way if you actually read it!

But there comes a point where the longer you go, the greater the chances of something bad happening. This horse had done more than enough even if soundness was not a factor in his demise.

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
DRF article:

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-caixa-eletronica-killed-training-accidentThe following basically says it all:

“[Pletcher] was as devastated telling me as I was hearing the news,” Repole said. “I’m in shock. For such an iron horse to unfortunately pass away this way really makes no sense.”
Repole said he had considered retiring Caixa Eletronica at the end of both is 7- and 8-year-old seasons, but the horse was sound and seemed to enjoy running and training so much that he kept him going. Repole said he turned down offers from farms in Indiana, Oklahoma, and overseas to stand the horse as a stallion. Repole said his plan was to retire the horse to Old Friends in Saratoga.

“Growing up in Queens these are the horses that I fell in love with, not the Saturday horses, but the Wednesday and Thursday horses,” Repole said. “Caixa was that type of horse that turned into a special horse.”

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Look, I qualified the statement exactly that way if you actually read it!What makes you think I didn't read it? I read it. And I know what I came away with after reading it, which is what prompted my reply.

classhandicapper
01-04-2014, 12:51 PM
What makes you think I didn't read it? I read it. And I know what I came away with after reading it, which is what prompted my reply.

No one has to share my views/values on the proper way to handle horses.

As I said, I couldn't make a good case for his retirement even when I called for it several times during the year. But my view is there comes a time where even if a horses is still sound and competitive it should be retired. It could have happened to any horse at any age. But it didn't. It happened to Caixa Eletronica, a 9 year old warrior that deserved better after all he had given to the sport and me.

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
It happened to Caixa Eletronica, a 9 year old warrior that deserved better after all he had given to the sport and me.Something we can all agree on.

OntheRail
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Sad to read this. Have to wonder if weather had a factor is this horrific accident. In these frigid temperatures keeping ones head down or cocked to the side is a reflex... not to mention goggles fogging.

Terrible news.

Midnight Cruiser
01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I think the collision happened in the dark early in the am. Apparently there were no lights or at least they were not turned on...

Saratoga_Mike
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM

As I said, I couldn't make a good case for his retirement even when I called for it several times during the year. But my view is there comes a time where even if a horses is still sound and competitive it should be retired. It could have happened to any horse at any age. But it didn't. It happened to Caixa Eletronica, a 9 year old warrior that deserved better after all he had given to the sport and me.

Freak accidents happen - think Saint Liam - wouldn't have ever predicted that.

maclr11
01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
@DRFGrening: Carlos Castro, exercise rider aboard Caixa Eletronica, suffered a fractured pelvis and will need reconstructive surgery on his face.

iwearpurple
01-04-2014, 03:09 PM

So you would have retired John Henry at 8 also?

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
@DRFGrening: Carlos Castro, exercise rider aboard Caixa Eletronica, suffered a fractured pelvis and will need reconstructive surgery on his face.Early reports were much more pleasant (leg pain). Terrible...

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Terrible news.

I never stopped to think how dangerous it must be during morning training.
With all the traffic on the course, a loose horse is lethal. Throw in the possibility of morning fog and this is a powder keg.

TheEdge07
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Might change things in the morning now that this has happen..

nijinski
01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

I spend a good deal of time trying to getting battle weary warriors off the track . I really don't think Caixa was in danger , I believe he was very well
cared for and sound for his age . That said I was hoping it was coming
soon . But this was unpredictable and unfortunate . The connections
are not to blame though .
My prayers for the rider for a full speedy recovery .
May this fine horse RIP , he will be missed !

Saratoga_Mike
01-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Might change things in the morning now that this has happen..

The collision occurred at approximately 8 a.m. as Caixa Eletronica was galloping on the training track. The 9-year-old Arromanches collided with Six Drivers, who was running loose after unseating his rider behind the starting gate.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82659/caixa-eletronica-dies-in-training-collision#ixzz2pSxPDgel

What would have prevented this accident? Beyond one horse on the track at a time?

atlasaxis
01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
I obviously don't know all the details, but head on collisions should NOT happen if the exercise riders were properly trained on what to do when the loose horse siren goes off. There really needs to be a training program and certification for exercise riders. So tragic!

atlasaxis
01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
What would have prevented this accident? Beyond one horse on the track at a time?

If you want the answer to this question Spa Mike, read this book: How to Exercise a Thoroughbred Race Horse by Janice L. Blake. A very quick read that will hold your attention from cover to cover and it's packed full of practical information for on and off the track.

http://www.janicelblake.com/

there's also an e-book version

nijinski
01-04-2014, 04:25 PM
RIP Six Drivers !

maclr11
01-04-2014, 04:36 PM
The guy was working for Pletcher, hate him or love him he hires top guys. This horse would not have some bad gallop boy on him. In a split second decision with a loose horse, they happened to veer the same way. That's how I imagine it. This was a freak accident, not anyone's fault. The rider of Englehart's got dumped, which happens often enough, who knows what the horse did, it was a young maiden in a new barn, new surroundings, new equipment. They are fragile, spooky animals and you cant totally control them, that's the wild spirit in them, that's the mystery of them. The game would be no fun if they were all machines. This was horrible, but I doubt it was preventable. For all you know, the horse could have dumped his rider twenty yards ahead of the guy and turned straight around. Or the track had fog, or there were other horses on the track and the exercise rider did the right thing, but the loose horse spooked into him. You don't know the facts and I don't think anyone has the right to comment on his ability as an exercise rider. Wait at least until the facts come out if they ever do. The top winning trainer in the country, with the best horses, trusted this guy, I would too.
A sad sad day, don't make it about who screwed up, cause the most likely answer is no one.

Saratoga_Mike
01-04-2014, 04:43 PM
If you want the answer to this question Spa Mike, read this book: How to Exercise a Thoroughbred Race Horse by Janice L. Blake. A very quick read that will hold your attention from cover to cover and it's packed full of practical information for on and off the track.

http://www.janicelblake.com/

there's also an e-book version

It sounds like you've read the book, so I'd love to hear your answer. In my opinion, the most skilled and well trained exercise riders and/or jocks will get thrown off a horse from time to time, resulting in a loose horse. I don't see how this accident could have been prevented, but I'd like to hear your ideas.

VeryOldMan
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Bringing it back to Caixa Electronica - what a versatile rugged horse. Was a fan of his hard-knocking style. RIP

tanner12oz
01-04-2014, 05:41 PM
This is a really sad story for such a game horse

classhandicapper
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
I spend a good deal of time trying to getting battle weary warriors off the track . I really don't think Caixa was in danger , I believe he was very well
cared for and sound for his age . That said I was hoping it was coming
soon . But this was unpredictable and unfortunate . The connections
are not to blame though .
My prayers for the rider for a full speedy recovery .
May this fine horse RIP , he will be missed !

I hate repeating myself when I've already been as clear as possible that I understand that this was an accident that could have happened to any horse.

My personal view is that this is a dangerous game for riders and horses. IMO, at a certain point it's time to call it quits even if you (or the horse) is still fit and sound enough to participate successfully. That point is when there's almost no upside left, but there's a lot of downside and the risks are growing. That's why I called for the horse's retirement at least twice during the year. To put it in gambling terms, it was a bad value bet to continue.

If I was Gary Steven's brother I would suggest that he stop riding, but that's just me. He's already done it all.

maclr11
01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Shouldn't Gary be telling his older brother Scott to quit lol

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Shouldn't Gary be telling his older brother Scott to quit lolNope...plenty of upside left for Scott Stevens...

FantasticDan
01-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Awful stuff. :( . Reminds me of the loose horse on the training track collision that killed Big Apple Triple and graded stakes winner Tin Cup Chalice on opening day of Finger Lakes in 2009.. :(

Tom
01-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I was thinking that, too Dan.
Sad day at the track that day.

jldonah
01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I went to this pedigree website as soon as I saw the tweet about accident this morning and someone there had already written a career summary and short obit. (Tap the little "i" in the circle next to the horse's name to view). I've been thinking about this all day and was glad-in-sadness to see I am not alone.

I had wondered why this horse wasn't at stud at his age. Perhaps he was infertile, or just the type who was frustrated except in training. I do not believe he would not have been kept racing at 8-1000K claiming levels. Doesn't really matter at this point, because he was a throwback stakes horse who was still competitive at the time of his death.

We should treasure the memories of the tough ones who seem not to age just like we treasure the brilliant ones who only have a few races. And all the rest too, even the slowest maidens who probably should be pleasure mounts after a few tries.

It's nice to know this horse was well loved and respected.

LAP_520
01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Very Sad news...

Just thinking about Caixa Electronica and Saginaw and the "battles" they had this past Summer.

Now, they are together again.

R.I.P. and enjoy "your wings".

the little guy
01-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Look, I qualified the statement exactly that way if you actually read it!

But there comes a point where the longer you go, the greater the chances of something bad happening. This horse had done more than enough even if soundness was not a factor in his demise.

You should have quit while you were behind. I have grown to expect inane stuff from you, but this is even bad for you.

So, let me get this straight, this horse that has shown nothing if not soundness, should have been retired because the longer he raced the more likely it would be that he was killed in a freak accident? I hope for your sake you simply posted without thinking.

Caixa Eletronica was a wonderful racehorse. It is a particularly sad day for racing fans.

JustRalph
01-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I've got a ten year old car that is in perfect shape. I guess I should retire it

jldonah
01-04-2014, 08:46 PM
"I do not believe he would <x>not</x> have been kept racing at 8-1000K claiming levels."

Meant to say I do believe he would not have been allowed to race after showing an inability to compete at high level racing. I should have caught this but I was a little verklempt while writing.

Don't want want to be misunderstood in this case.

nijinski
01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
"I do not believe he would <x>not</x> have been kept racing at 8-1000K claiming levels."

Meant to say I do believe he would not have been allowed to race after showing an inability to compete at high level racing. I should have caught this but I was a little verklempt while writing.

Don't want want to be misunderstood in this case.

Totally understood and I agree . I believe he was for his connections ,
very special and to his many followers too .

Investorater
01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Today in racing history:

From About.Com horse racing forum:

Jan. 4, 1946: Canadian-born jockey George Woolf, known as the "Iceman" for his coolness in the saddle, died after falling head first from his mount, Please Me, during a race at Santa Anita Park the previous day.

He was 35. During his career (1928-1946) Woolf had 3,784 mounts, 721 wins, 589 seconds and 468 thirds, with earnings of $2,856,125.

Since 1950, Santa Anita Park has annually presented the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award to a rider who demonstrates high standards of personal and professional conduct, on and off the racetrack.

RIP Caixa Electronica

samyn on the green
01-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Caixa Electronia was my favorite horse in training. So sorry he had to leave the temporal world in such a cruel way. He really was something special and cut accross the grain of the times. He will be remembered very fondly.
R.I.P.

thaskalos
01-04-2014, 10:08 PM
It would be nice if we honored the fallen horse by at least taking the time to make sure that we spelled his name right.

Warriors deserve as much...IMO.

FiveWide
01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
From http://www.pedigreequery.com/six+drivers

"January 4, 2014: Died of a neck fracture after breaking loose and colliding with another horse, Caixa Eletronica, during training hours at Belmont. Both horses were killed instantly."

If the 'killed instantly' is accurate which I have no reason to believe it's not then at least neither horse suffered. So sad. RIP to both of these horses.

-Five

samyn on the green
01-05-2014, 12:12 AM
One more point. Caixa Electronica was a horse not a gelding. We could use more like him. He shoud have been the linchpin in all future breeding programs.

samyn on the green
01-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Another hard knocking horse, Arromanches who was Caixa Electronica's sire died earlier this year. May they both enjoy their time in horsey heaven, father and son.

http://www.drf.com/news/indiana-sire-arromanches-dies-age-20

NY BRED
01-05-2014, 05:45 AM
I am sending an email to Steve Byk and will request he post the link
from his archives which contains a discussion he had with Michael
Repole last year. I'm sure it will bring a smile(and/or tear) to
many of you when Mike details his heated discussions with Todd
prior to entering Caixa in the Charles Town Classic.

This interview, in my opinion, highlighted the respect between the
owner, trainer , and equally as important to our warrior,
Caixa Electronic

Rest in Peace Caixa Electronica.

PICSIX
01-05-2014, 07:52 AM
So sad, may they both RIP.

burnsy
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
This is why its easier to be a bettor over an owner. I see theres a whole thread on the subject. If you love this game and want to see what REALLY goes on......you gotta be there in the morning when the track is at "work". Once that "alarm" goes off because of a loose horse.......its a life and death situation with possible accidents around the entire track. Like any sport this is a rough one, maybe the roughest, life and limb are part of the "gamble". I'm a bettor, the track may extract some of my money when i lose. For the people that ride, train and own, often this game can extract a "pound of flesh." For Mike Repole owner, Island Wind Racing (Evan Gewirtz) and the riders Carlos Castro (broken pelvis) and Julio Pezua...theres no "mythical million dollar bankroll" they are dealing with the harsh reality of racing. This is why i get pissed when so called "journalist" diss this game as a bunch of cheaters........one guy is getting "reconstructed" in a hospital, another is dealing with "the Accident" and two organizations are surely crying today as they deal with the death of 2 beautiful animals that they had invested their money, heart and souls in. I feel bad for them, but if i lose a few bucks....i get to go home. Once you become part of this game as an actual participant....it owns you. Theres no avoiding what these people are dealing with this morning. These "jackasses" that constantly diss racing won't be sitting with these folks today. I hope everyone involved recovers from this tragedy, people on the "outside" often don't understand this is way beyond "money" and making money by cheating. The great majority of people do it because they love it and love the animals. Some of these people that write these stupid stories about racing, should be forced to observe some mornings at the track..when most are not even awake yet..7 days a week, 365 days a year.......these people work their asses off and there is danger around every corner. Yeah, thats what its all about....they are all cheaters........F you too is what i say......you are not in their shoes this morning.

098poi
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
A rare and horrific accident. Praying for a full recovery of the jock. Both horses RIP.

rrpic6
01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
I've got a ten year old car that is in perfect shape. I guess I should retire it

Was thinking the same thing. Should Payne Stewart have retired or not taken out a pilot's license? Every living thing dies at some point. Some deaths are peaceful while others are violent and tragic.

RR

classhandicapper
01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
You should have quit while you were behind. I have grown to expect inane stuff from you, but this is even bad for you.

So, let me get this straight, this horse that has shown nothing if not soundness, should have been retired because the longer he raced the more likely it would be that he was killed in a freak accident? I hope for your sake you simply posted without thinking.

Caixa Eletronica was a wonderful racehorse. It is a particularly sad day for racing fans.

It's hard to believe people are having such a tough time understanding what I am saying. In your case I always excuse your comments because your reputation for a lack of interpersonal skills and combativeness precedes you. As much as I'd like to like you, you make it difficult.

I'll try one more time.

Where did I say the probability of an accident grows as a horse ages?

Perhaps you should read my comments again. I said it was an accident that could happen to any horse, but later added that it was a dangerous game because it's relevant to my view. I also think as horses get older, the chances of a break down do increase even though that's not the issue here.

IMO, there is a point at which a very good horse has peaked, is getting much older, and has probably begun it's long inevitable downturn. Even if it's sound and competitive, at that point, I would simply retire it. That's why twice this year I called for the horse to be retired. He was still good, but he was at that age. There was no longer upside to continuing, but the downside (however small the probability) was going to start growing due to age and be catastrophic.

When Saginaw went down, it was a particularly sad day because he was such a popular and successful older horse. Caixa was the same. What makes this kind of thing more painful with some horses (or people) is the connection we make with them over time.

I don't get to make the rules and no one has to think the way I do, but I think retiring the popular old timers BEFORE they decline badly or the unthinkable happens would be a good idea. We (or at least I) want to see them go out still doing well, alive and healthy, to retirement places like Old Friends etc...

I thought that about Ali, Holyfield, (and many other boxers) that were past their primes but passed their physicals and boxed. I think it about some jockeys. I think it about some horses. I think it about everyone that has already had a lot of success where the upside is limited or gone and the downside is a low probability disaster. My standard is not can he still compete. My standard is getting out alive and healthy. I think the industry would be better off if we moved sooner.

You don't have to agree with me, but if if you don't understand what I am saying, I can't help you.

the little guy
01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
It's hard to believe people are having such a tough time understanding what I am saying. In your case I always excuse your comments because your reputation for a lack of interpersonal skills and combativeness precedes you. As much as I'd like to like you, you make it difficult.

I'll try one more time.

Don't.

I am sure that I am among the many here that are not interested in reading, or hearing, your endless screeds. You said something as indefensible as it was insensitive. Leave it at that.

Brogan
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
This is why its easier to be a bettor over an owner. I see theres a whole thread on the subject. If you love this game and want to see what REALLY goes on......you gotta be there in the morning when the track is at "work". Once that "alarm" goes off because of a loose horse.......its a life and death situation with possible accidents around the entire track. Like any sport this is a rough one, maybe the roughest, life and limb are part of the "gamble". I'm a bettor, the track may extract some of my money when i lose. For the people that ride, train and own, often this game can extract a "pound of flesh." For Mike Repole owner, Island Wind Racing (Evan Gewirtz) and the riders Carlos Castro (broken pelvis) and Julio Pezua...theres no "mythical million dollar bankroll" they are dealing with the harsh reality of racing. This is why i get pissed when so called "journalist" diss this game as a bunch of cheaters........one guy is getting "reconstructed" in a hospital, another is dealing with "the Accident" and two organizations are surely crying today as they deal with the death of 2 beautiful animals that they had invested their money, heart and souls in. I feel bad for them, but if i lose a few bucks....i get to go home. Once you become part of this game as an actual participant....it owns you. Theres no avoiding what these people are dealing with this morning. These "jackasses" that constantly diss racing won't be sitting with these folks today. I hope everyone involved recovers from this tragedy, people on the "outside" often don't understand this is way beyond "money" and making money by cheating. The great majority of people do it because they love it and love the animals. Some of these people that write these stupid stories about racing, should be forced to observe some mornings at the track..when most are not even awake yet..7 days a week, 365 days a year.......these people work their asses off and there is danger around every corner. Yeah, thats what its all about....they are all cheaters........F you too is what i say......you are not in their shoes this morning.

yeah...what he said!

Nicely put.

classhandicapper
01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Don't.

I am sure that I am among the many here that are not interested in reading, or hearing, your endless screeds. You said something as indefensible as it was insensitive. Leave it at that.

I know what you wanted to hear.

You wanted to hear how badly I felt for Repole and Pletcher etc... because they lost a horse I am sure they loved and cared for. I do feel badly for Repole because everything I've read suggests he loves his horses. I also read he considered retiring the horse previously, but didn't because he was still doing well, which has to make him feel even worse.

But the fact of the matter is that expressing my sympathy won't change a damn thing.

In a few months or next year we'll be reading about some other super popular old timer that was run into the ground, broke down, or died in a freak accident and how horribly we all feel for the connections and because we are all so connected to the horse.

Or maybe we'll all learn something from our mistakes and stop on them sooner.
If being insensitive helps fix it, I'm OK with that.

There will always be breakdowns and loss in a game like this. It's unavoidable. But we are allowed to learn and don't have to maximize the pain with losses like this. I'm as tired of that and your attitude as you are of my opinion.

elhelmete
01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Can you not differentiate between a random, horrible loss like what happened to CE versus one where it happened during a race?

Two minutes later, the accident could have happened to two unremarkable 3yo claimers...it's random and horrible.

It's like blaming his age if Ali had died in a car accident during the ride over to the boxing ring...

thespaah
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM

I'll try one more time.

Where did I say the probability of an accident grows as a horse ages?

Perhaps you should read my comments again. I said it was an accident that could happen to any horse, but later added that it was a dangerous game because it's relevant to my view. I also think as horses get older, the chances of a break down do increase even though that's not the issue here.

IMO, there is a point at which a very good horse has peaked, is getting much older, and has probably begun it's long inevitable downturn. Even if it's sound and competitive, at that point, I would simply retire it. That's why twice this year I called for the horse to be retired. He was still good, but he was at that age. There was no longer upside to continuing, but the downside (however small the probability) was going to start growing due to age and be catastrophic.

When Saginaw went down, it was a particularly sad day because he was such a popular and successful older horse. Caixa was the same. What makes this kind of thing more painful with some horses (or people) is the connection we make with them over time.

I don't get to make the rules and no one has to think the way I do, but I think retiring the popular old timers BEFORE they decline badly or the unthinkable happens would be a good idea. We (or at least I) want to see them go out still doing well, alive and healthy, to retirement places like Old Friends etc...

I thought that about Ali, Holyfield, (and many other boxers) that were past their primes but passed their physicals and boxed. I think it about some jockeys. I think it about some horses. I think it about everyone that has already had a lot of success where the upside is limited or gone and the downside is a low probability disaster. My standard is not can he still compete. My standard is getting out alive and healthy. I think the industry would be better off if we moved sooner.

You don't have to agree with me, but if if you don't understand what I am saying, I can't help you.
This is where your commentary went off the rails
"but later added that it was a dangerous game because it's relevant to my view. I also think as horses get older, the chances of a break down do increase..."
That is not relevant to the event.
If you feel strongly enough to discuss 'older horses and increased chances of breakdowns" then perhaps you should start a thread on that subject.
This was an accident.
it could have happened between two baby horses in training.
Hell, it could have happened in a crash where horses died while being shipped.

thespaah
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM

You wanted to hear how badly I felt for Repole and Pletcher etc... because they lost a horse I am sure they loved and cared for. I do feel badly for Repole because everything I've read suggests he loves his horses. I also read he considered retiring the horse previously, but didn't because he was still doing well, which has to make him feel even worse.

But the fact of the matter is that expressing my sympathy won't change a damn thing.

In a few months or next year we'll be reading about some other super popular old timer that was run into the ground, broke down, or died in a freak accident and how horribly we all feel for the connections and because we are all so connected to the horse.

Or maybe we'll all learn something from our mistakes and stop on them sooner.
If being insensitive helps fix it, I'm OK with that.

There will always be breakdowns and loss in a game like this. It's unavoidable. But we are allowed to learn and don't have to maximize the pain with losses like this. I'm as tired of that and your attitude as you are of my opinion.
I cannot believe you are doubling down on this...
It's a different subject altogether.
Surely, you must realize that...

classhandicapper
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
"I cannot believe you are doubling down on this...It's a different subject altogether.Surely, you must realize that..."

"That is not relevant to the event. This was an accident.
Hell, it could have happened in a crash where horses died while being shipped."

"Can you not differentiate between a random, horrible loss like what happened to CE versus one where it happened during a race?"

Ummm, I said that accidents and breakdowns are a different issue in almost every post. I think it's ridiculous to continue citing it, but apparently some people would rather criticize what I don't think instead of listening to what I do think and considering it.

What I am coming away with from this thread is that as long it's an accident and there was no irresponsible behavior, it's just one of those terrible tragedies when one of our favorites dies on the track.

I disagree.

Some people may not agree with my standards for retirement, but I think we should pull the trigger quicker on these old time favorites for the benefit of the game, in appreciation for the horses that participate in a dangerous sport, and because every single time one them goes down for any reason some fans get upset (me among them)!

Instead of insensitivity towards the connections who thought they were doing the right thing, perhaps I'm too sensitive to the fate of the horses to which I become attached. But I think I have a better idea and standard to avoid "accidents" to old timers too.

That's all I am going to say on this.

If you don't get it, it's hopeless. Next time there's an "accident" or a breakdown of one of my old favorites, I'll keep my mouth shut and shake my head.

thespaah
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
"I cannot believe you are doubling down on this...It's a different subject altogether.Surely, you must realize that..."

"That is not relevant to the event. This was an accident.
Hell, it could have happened in a crash where horses died while being shipped."

"Can you not differentiate between a random, horrible loss like what happened to CE versus one where it happened during a race?"

Ummm, I said that accidents and breakdowns are a different issue in almost every post. I think it's ridiculous to continue citing it, but apparently some people would rather criticize what I don't think instead of listening to what I do think and considering it.

What I am coming away with from this thread is that as long it's an accident and there was no irresponsible behavior, it's just one of those terrible tragedies when one of our favorites dies on the track.

I disagree.

Some people may not agree with my standards for retirement, but I think we should pull the trigger quicker on these old time favorites for the benefit of the game, in appreciation for the horses that participate in a dangerous sport, and because every single time one them goes down for any reason some fans get upset (me among them)!

Instead of insensitivity towards the connections who thought they were doing the right thing, perhaps I'm too sensitive to the fate of the horses to which I become attached. But I think I have a better idea and standard to avoid "accidents" to old timers too.

That's all I am going to say on this.

If you don't get it, it's hopeless. Next time there's an "accident" or a breakdown of one of my old favorites, I'll keep my mouth shut and shake my head.
If these two are different, then why bring it up?
Accidents are what they are.

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
It would be nice if we honored the fallen horse by at least taking the time to make sure that we spelled his name right.

Warriors deserve as much...IMO.Agree...which is why I immediately corrected the spelling on the title of this thread. But I don't have it in me to go through each and every reply looking for that errant 'c'.

5k-claim
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM

You wanted to hear how badly I felt for Repole and Pletcher etc... because they lost a horse I am sure they loved and cared for. I do feel badly for Repole because everything I've read suggests he loves his horses. I also read he considered retiring the horse previously, but didn't because he was still doing well, which has to make him feel even worse. I also read he considered retiring the horse previously, but didn't because he was still doing well, which has to make him feel even worse. Actually, it shouldn't. And I hope it isn't.

A horse tells you when to step on the gas. Or when to let off the gas and coast. Or when to step on the brakes. The horse tells you. If a horse is happy and sound and tells you he wants to go then... you go. That is true at the micro (daily) level as well as the macro (yearly).

Of all the thoughts running through the connections' heads right now as they work through this heartbreaking time, second guessing themselves about this should not be one of them.