01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Hello All! For Saturday 1/4/2014 we have the following tracks and races on tap:

Gulfstream - 1,6,8,9,10
SantaAnita - 1,2,3,4,7,8
Tampa - 3,5,8,10
Calder - 6
Fairgrounds - 5,7
Parx - 3,7,8

We are keeping our fingers crossed that our key Horse from Thursday, No Silent, is OK and lives to fight another day. Crossing the finish line in a slow trot is never a good sign. Hopefully, he was just exhausted from his previous photo finish and the race was simply a bad call from trainer Gary Mandella who won just 10 races last year. Pressing on however, we have another Key Horse running on Saturday:

Floral Romance - GP ( 9) GP 12/29/12 # 9

So on January 20, 2013 I wrote the following:
We will finish up on December 29th, 2012 in race # 9 with Bill Mott, Pam and Martin Wygod and Floral Romance. I see why, after breeding her...they kept her! After breaking her maiden at Belmont in her first try, she really looked special handling first level allowance company at Gulfstream Park...
I might as well have stuck a pin in my Floral Romance bobble head doll, as she proceeded to lose 4 in a row before winning an allowance at Belmont Park in October. A two month time out and here she is in the Florida sun on the same turf course where she impressed me enough to pen the poetry noted above. Mott sees fit to bring her back in her toughest contest to date, the Marshua's River Stakes - G3. A race by the way that was the kiss of death for last years winner Hard Not To Like.

At first glance, it looked to me as if the race came up fairly easy and while her speed figs are not impressive, I thought Mott found a spot. But upon further review, that call won't stand. It appears that the horse to beat, Abaco, brings an impressive form cycle to this contest for Shug and world-beater, Castellano. Notable is that she has done this before, as she reeled off 4 consecutive wins between July and December of 2012, the last of which was also on this course.

And what is a turf contest without Chad '29%' Brown and the 'I'm never out of the money on this course and are you sure you can spell my name' Deanaallen'skitten, who is always sharp with 18 in-the-money finishes out of 20 lifetime starts. All three have a penchant for closing in these turf contests and there should be enough pace to run at with Miss Montreal and Angelica Zapata, two familiar foes, duking it out early. That is of course, if they can keep up with sprinter Silverette. They will catch her I suspect, but by then our trio will be running for the money.

Looking at the form, were it not for Mott calling the shots and Rosario riding, I would be looking elsewhere. But if she is ready, this might be a breakout performance. And with Mott winning at 25% for this layoff type, you have to give pause to the thought. But I am more interested to see how she looks against graded company. If however, the ML of 8-1 holds, some sort of wager is in order. And if she is ready to come home in 11.83 secs for the final furlong as she did the last time she ran on this turf...

Look out.

Enjoy the Saturday racing...good luck and good 'capping!