PDA

View Full Version : Calder "Live" Race-by-Race about Noon E.S.T.

Teach
01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Good morning from snowy Massachusetts, actually Framingham, a town about 20 miles west of Boston. The snow has finally let up. We got about eight inches here, but places north of Boston, near Cape Ann, e.g., Ipswich, Rowley, Boxford, Gloucester, etc. got upwards of two feet! Areas south of Boston and down toward The Cape also got high amounts. Oh, by the way, the temperature here currently is 6 degrees above zero. Hey, we're having a hit wave; it was nearly zero at about 7 a.m.

Well, I'll fire up the ol' snowblower (as my father used to say: "Watch your fingers; they don't grow back!") and then see what handicapping options are available. By now, I'm sure you're aware the Aqueduct and Freehold are closed due to the storm. It'll be interesting to see if those tracks can get up an running for their Saturday cards.

I'm thinking that if I can get my driveway cleaned off in the next hour or so, I'll probably take a look at Calder; they're running an eight-race card. If I do Calder, I'll probably go "live" as I won't have time to both handicap the races and type out my thoughts.

mabred
01-03-2014, 09:55 AM
teach
where is there simulcasting in ma??

or do u play at home??

Raynham closed and I won't go to plainridge

Teach
01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
mabred,

I play at home.

Teach
01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Race One:

A short field - six horses; you’d think you could come up with somebody fairly easily. Someone should stick out. Right! I’m not so sure. In this claiming sprint, I can make a case for three horses: :4: Pom Pom would appear to be the top choice; the Boundary-bred mare has a lot going for her, at least on paper. Let me run down the list: (1) relatively recent claim by solid trainer, Chris Gatis. Gatis is good with second start off a claim; (2) The mare is dropping into the kind of company she should handle; (3) rider switch from apprentice to hot jock, Edgard Zayas (Zayas is 24: 7-2-4 in last seven days); (4) Highest last race speed rating; highest speed figure at today’s distance, and (5) steadied at the start in her last. All this should add up to a trip to the winner’s circle.

:3: Gotcha Chu Chu was steadied at the start in her last. There’s a jockey switch to Andre Ramgeet. Yet, Ramgeet is only a 5% jockey (that doesn’t exactly instill a lot of confidence). Yet what catches my attention is this 4 year-old Skip Trial-bred filly’s recent (and I mean recent) morning work: she “drilled” three panels in :36.2 breezing from the gate. That speaks volumes. I mean decibels, even. Does that equate with a board-hitting effort, only time will tell.

Then, there’s :1: Your Sister. The Storm Cat-bred filly should be out and going from her rail post when the bell sounds. How far and fast can her legs take her? I’m thinking a minor award. Frankly, I don’t see much early speed (maybe Pm Pom Power will challenge her). If the filly has her own way on the front she becomes that much more dangerous. Her trainer, Fred Warren, is having a decent meet; yet the filly’s jockey, Sandre Ridley is winless in 44 tries. The filly has only one win in nineteen starts.

If you’re playing gimmicks, maybe :6: Flower Jac can hang on for a minor award.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2014, 12:23 PM
They aren't shy about betting down a favorite at Calder !

1/5 on the :4:

Teach
01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Should win, Bob; however no lead-pipe cinch.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Batting 1.000 today, Teach!

Teach
01-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah, with a 2-to-5 shot!

Robert Fischer
01-03-2014, 12:44 PM
at Gp, i think the 3 is going to run today

/Took them to the stretch off a year and a half layoff but faded. Not a bad workout for that horse 1st time back.

Teach
01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Race Two:

In this claiming sprint, n3L, I tend to like the “outside” horses. I’m giving my tepid nod to the outside-starting post 5 year-old mare, 7 Miss Bikini Bottom. First, the mare has faced better. Also, she’s drawn a lot of inside posts and may well benefit from an outside starting post. Eduardo Nunez is most capable in the irons. The mare is also getting a bit of weight help. Although Barry Croft is a solid trainer, the mare is 0-for-three at that 6-furlong distance. I can also make a case for 6 Baby Gaviota. The Storm Cat-bred filly has hit the tote at this distance in six out of nine tries. She also adds a hot jock, Edgard Zayas. His prolific trainer Antonio Sano hit’s the tote with a sold percentage of his trainees. This filly, too, may well benefit from an outside starting post. 3 Ellerslie Park is cutting back a couple panels. This horse could be “the sleeper” in this field. The Halo’s Image-bred filly should relish the cut back. This sprint may be a more suitable distance. She may well be on the engine. Angel Quiroz is a top-notch trainer. He’s good with sprints. Finally, 5 Quality First should not be ignored. The 5 year-old Elusive Quality filly won her last. That doesn’t necessarily mean she can come right back and get her picture taken, but, having said that, in this relatively weak field - anything’s possible. Antonio Sano trains.

Teach
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Race Three:

In this maiden-claiming sprint, I’m giving my tepid nod to :1: Grisha. It’s hard to quantify, buit the Dynaformer-bred filly’s works have been steady and solid. The rail appears to be an advantageous place. The filly’s trainer, Efren Loza, Jr,, has a high winning percentage, albeit with a limited number of trainees. The trainer stat indicates that this conditioner is outstanding with first-time starters. My only caveat: I worry about first-timers racing greenly, especially from the rail. If this filly doesn’t take a left turn, she can be a player here.

Others I would consider are :2: Woman of Troy, another first-time starter with solid morning works. The dam, Friendly Goose, had three winners from four starters.

:7: Nile Tunes hung on gamely for a third place finish in her last. The filly has hit the tote in three of her five tries. Should receive a lot of attention at the windows. Juan Delgado for Barry Croft. Croft is very good with beaten favorites. If the aforementioned first-timers don’t fire, then this filly becomes “the horse”. Finally,

:3: Miss Nalenee could be “The Sleeper” here. The first-time Yes It’s True- (I like Yes It’s True first-time starters) bred filly is capable of surprising. Trainer Bisnath Parboo is good with maiden claimers. I wouldn’t be surprised if this filly were to become a factor here.

Teach
01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd be surprised if :7: can now be beat.

Teach
01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Race Four:

This is a fairly good-sized field for this maiden-claiming turf route. I’m going out on the limb in this nondescript field. I’m leaning toward a first-time starter who might just pop; I’m talking about :9: Mongol Ring. What immediately catches my attention is this colt’s dam-side breeding: Rahy. Rahy is an excellent turf pedigree sires. Having said that, just because the colt’s pedigree includes Rahy doesn’t necessarily equate with victory. Watch the tote. Watch him on the track. Manny Cruz is a very good reinsman; the horse’s trainer, Enebish Ganbat is good with debut maiden claimers.

Others to consider are: :7: Windtalker. The 3 year-old Hennessy-bred colt is trying the grass for the second time. In his first effort, he was checked at the start and finished off the board; I’m willing to give him a second chance on the lawn. Solid connections in jockey Jeffrey Sanchez and trainer William White.

:5: Pinetree Pro has a series of pluses and minuses. On the plus side: solid trainer, Kathleen O’Connell and solid jockey in Eduado Nunez. The storm Cat-bred gelding has hit the tote in two of three lifetime tries; however, he’s never racing on the grass (yet, his breeding suggests he should handle the lawn). Further, the gelding hasn’t raced in five months. And, his morning works are nothing to write home about. I’d tread cautiously with him. Keep an eye on the tote and how he looks of the gelding on the track.

Finally, :1: Ceiba Honor is dropping in class today. He admittedly finished up the track in his last, a dirt race. The colt’s pedigree suggests he might well handle the lawn. Diego Gomez for trainer Javier Negrete.

Teach
01-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Race Five: :7: , :8: , :2:

Teach
01-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Race Six:

:4: Riversrunrylee; :7: Luigi Q; :5: He's Spectacular; :6: Sweeping Victory

Teach
01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Race Seven: :3: , :2: , :4: , :8:

Race Eight: :8: , :6: , :3: , :7:

coachv30