PDA

View Full Version : 1/5 Electric Eddie DQ @ Santa Anita

TheEdge07
01-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Electric Eddie in the first at 1/5 was disqualified..it was legit.

Stillriledup
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I was hoping he would be placed last...you know, so i can crush my show bets! :(

Greyfox
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Electric Eddie in the first at 1/5 was disqualified..it was legit.

1/5?
I missed a play on him a couple back when he ran second at 40-1.

moneyandland
01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I guess with DQ's and inquiries you just have to toss it all up as blind luck, because there's no consistency anywhere and it's anybody's guess as to what constitutes a DQ or interference...

You'd be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable horseplayer who thinks that the bump in the SA race affected the outcome of the race, don't get me wrong an incident like that should not go unpunished by the stewards but a jockey fine or days should be the way to go.

Today's 5th race at AQU didn't even have an inquiry and the events of that race had far more impact on the results than the bump at SA. The AQU race was determined by a nose, the winner drifted and brushed with the 2nd place finisher very late in the race and yet nothing is even said.

Stillriledup
01-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I guess with DQ's and inquiries you just have to toss it all up as blind luck, because there's no consistency anywhere and it's anybody's guess as to what constitutes a DQ or interference...

You'd be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable horseplayer who thinks that the bump in the SA race affected the outcome of the race, don't get me wrong an incident like that should not go unpunished by the stewards but a jockey fine or days should be the way to go.

Today's 5th race at AQU didn't even have an inquiry and the events of that race had far more impact on the results than the bump at SA. The AQU race was determined by a nose, the winner drifted and brushed with the 2nd place finisher very late in the race and yet nothing is even said.

I'm a fan of paying the winners and handling the "Administrative stuff" behind closed doors.

Some_One
01-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't have dq'ed, I think it's very tough to prove that the 2 would have won without the dq especially with the fav drawing off late and didn't lose 2nd because of it.

taxicab
01-03-2014, 04:19 AM
The Colt that was put up ( Oh Billy Billy ) could be a 3yo with a future.
An Unusual Heat that goes for 400k is more than your usual Cal. Bred.
Bred by Harris Farms, but sent to the Keenland Sales speaks loudly also.
Harris Farms doesn't like to part with their good stock as a rule of thumb, so they must of known this colt would bring a big number @ Keen.
Out of a Moscow Ballet mare, you know speed will be in the package ( grass also ).
Unusual Heat's can run forever and a day, so any route of ground should be no problem.
With all of the money out there for 3yo's this time of year, I don't think Oh Billy Billy will be running in any Cal. bred races in the immediate future.
Billy will get his chance in the west coast 3yo prep races.

pondman
01-03-2014, 12:11 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable horseplayer who thinks that the bump in the SA race affected the outcome of the race,.

Just about knocked Martin off his horse on the rail, and Mario had his whip ready, threw it right out in the face of the horse, trying to shut it down. He needed to settle this horse down and he didn't. It was very reckless riding How much more does another rider have to take? I don't think you want to be betting races or in a game if this type of behavior is occurring.

pondman
01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
An Unusual Heat that goes for 400k is more than your usual Cal. Bred.
Bred by Harris Farms, but sent to the Keenland Sales speaks loudly also.
Harris Farms doesn't like to part with their good stock as a rule of thumb, so they must of known this colt would bring a big number @ Keen.
Out of a Moscow Ballet mare, you know speed will be in the package ( grass also ).
Unusual Heat's can run forever and a day, so any route of ground should be no problem.
With all of the money out there for 3yo's this time of year, I don't think Oh Billy Billy will be running in any Cal. bred races in the immediate future.
Billy will get his chance in the west coast 3yo prep races.

There was to much interest in this horse for Harris to not put it up for Sale. Look who bought it. Should tell you that it's a horse to keep on your horses to bet list.

Hope it didn't get injured

Some_One
01-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Just about knocked Martin off his horse on the rail, and Mario had his whip ready, threw it right out in the face of the horse, trying to shut it down. He needed to settle this horse down and he didn't. It was very reckless riding How much more does another rider have to take? I don't think you want to be betting races or in a game if this type of behavior is occurring.

Yes it was a foul, but that is only half of what you need to dq, you also need to show harm and I don't think the bump affected the outcome of the race. Give the jock a couple days vacation, but leave the horse up for the win.

Phantombridgejumpe
01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
What if my horse is taking the lead and comes over too soon and causes serious contact with the pace-setter?

To me that is a foul and a DQ. I would never ask myself if the pace-setter was going to beat my horse. In some situations I understand that criteria, but not all.

If I'm wrong please let me know.

Some_One
01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
What if my horse is taking the lead and comes over too soon and causes serious contact with the pace-setter?

To me that is a foul and a DQ. I would never ask myself if the pace-setter was going to beat my horse. In some situations I understand that criteria, but not all.

If I'm wrong please let me know.

You're wrong, it's a foul, that's all.

Rules need to be consistent for every race, every furlong, you either dq for every foul regardless of impact (see 2010 Japan Cup), or you do like most tracks do and judge the impact before dq'ing.

GMB@BP
01-04-2014, 12:23 AM
You're wrong, it's a foul, that's all.

Rules need to be consistent for every race, every furlong, you either dq for every foul regardless of impact (see 2010 Japan Cup), or you do like most tracks do and judge the impact before dq'ing.

I am all for DQ'ing all fouls, would be fair to all in that case.

Was wondering how you quantify what a bump does in a race? I mean is there a percentage you attribute to the severity of the bump.

Of course I am not a big fan off this herding horses out 7 paths and often times there is no contact so I am sure I am at the opposite end of the spectrum.

appistappis
01-04-2014, 12:24 AM

I couldn't agree more...i had the super there 10 times before the dq and there was quite a discussion at our o.t.b. after the race.

cj
01-04-2014, 12:47 AM
That horse hung in to finish close enough that I don't even see how there is a question about this particular DQ.

Some_One
01-04-2014, 02:03 AM

Was wondering how you quantify what a bump does in a race? I mean is there a percentage you attribute to the severity of the bump.

Of course I am not a big fan off this herding horses out 7 paths and often times there is no contact so I am sure I am at the opposite end of the spectrum.

So how many dq's would there be in the Derby then? 4 or 5?

Phantombridgejumpe
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
That it has to cost a horse a placing...

If that is a standard I would like to see it, if it is simply your standard that isn't good enough.

If my horse lacks room at the top of the stretch and simply creates a hole by forcing his way through two tiring horses, I do not think that is okay. Is it?

Stillriledup
01-28-2014, 02:06 AM
Had Eddie knocked Garcia off the horse, the huge show bet would have been paid out to the lucky show bet holders of the other horses, Eddie had a HUGE show bet on him, in the hundreds of thousands.

In an ironic and odd twist, Electric Eddie raced on Jan 25th and broke down in the stretch.....Martin Garcia, riding the same horse Eddie bumped on Jan 2nd (Oh Billy Billy) fell off Billy after being bothered by Electric Eddie.

GaryG
01-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Good news...Eddie is doing well after surgery and is expected to recover.

http://www.drf.com/news/premium/santa-anita-electric-eddie-recuperating-leg-surgery

dilanesp
01-28-2014, 08:47 PM

In pro football, it's only pass interference if the ball is catchable. In pro basketball, you only get the ball back after the foul shots if the player had a clear path to the basket and was likely to score. In soccer, you only get a penalty kick if the foul is inside the box.

I don't think you can criticize horse racing for applying a common sense rule that is found in many other sports.

GMB@BP
01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
In pro football, it's only pass interference if the ball is catchable. In pro basketball, you only get the ball back after the foul shots if the player had a clear path to the basket and was likely to score. In soccer, you only get a penalty kick if the foul is inside the box.

I don't think you can criticize horse racing for applying a common sense rule that is found in many other sports.

When was the last time anyone died in a basketball game?

If riders who are making a move on the best horse can take chances and know that they will not come down because they were on the best horse they will take advantage of it, and this creates a dangerous riding situation.

Heck Pval and Nakatani lived on this edge for years.

dilanesp
01-29-2014, 02:59 PM
When was the last time anyone died in a basketball game?

If riders who are making a move on the best horse can take chances and know that they will not come down because they were on the best horse they will take advantage of it, and this creates a dangerous riding situation.

Heck Pval and Nakatani lived on this edge for years.

That's why there's a racing commission and stewards.

Disqualification is simply a matter of purse money and mutuel payouts. They are trying to make sure a horse doesn't gain a placing through misconduct.

But stewards should liberally hand out days or even months for dangerous race-riding. And indeed, some of the problems with our sport concern suspensions, not disqualifications. There should not be a designated race rule, and the appellate process should be extremely quick and with a very limited standard of review. Suspensions should hit hard.