PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Thurs., 01/02/2014

MeSlew
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Hello All! Job one: a happy new year to all of you that read this page. I'm about to start year three of the public Slew, and it has been fun.

For Thursday, the 2nd day of 2014 we have a short list of tracks and races to deal with:

Aqueduct - 1,7,8
Gulfstream - 1,5,7,8,9,10
SantaAnita - 1,2,4,5,7,8

We also have a familiar name as a Key Horse for Thursday:

No Silent - SA ( 7) DMR 07/25/13 # 7

As many of you know by now, a large part of my approach to these races is what I call the Key Horse. Now this guy (or gal) is a horse that I focus on because I believe that the animal is an athlete. I'll take him or her out of a fast race and follow the horse for a while. Sometimes, years. Our Key Horse for Thursday is one that I have watched for quite a while now, and he is kind of special.

No Silent, by Silent Name out of the War Chant mare Two Names is trained by Gary Mandella and was last seen on 12/8/2013 in a triple dead heat for place at Hollywood park in race #4. Folks, a triple dead heat. If you ain't never seen such a thing, you can see the chart on DRF or Bris. Very cool. Except if you are stuck on the rail and are so busy fighting the two horses to your outside that you don't even know Boat Trip is coming wide to nip you at the wire by a slim 1/2 length. But that won't happen again as Boat Trip, also in this contest, will not get a :443 half to run into. Not for this mile go on the turf course at Santa Anita.

Martin Garcia rides for the second time in a row, and why not. This guy can run and I'm sure he would like nothing more than to have another crack at Boat Trip. Except this time, he will have a chance to see him coming. And another angle I tend to like is the reversal of positions. It is statistically common for horses to reverse their finish positions in back to back races. In this second off the 3 1/2 month layoff and fitting the rather tight conditions of this 80K N3xOC, the biggest problem may be the odds. I'll look to get creative with this 5 year old and see if I can make a few $$$ on the cheap. He fits, and if he is kicking holes the stall walls, he may just love the mile run.

Enjoy the Thursday racing...good luck and good 'capping!