PDA

View Full Version : Report: Lovie Smith to Tampa

Clocker
01-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Got to be a lot of happy Bucs tonight.

Smith will be hired by Tampa Bay and the two sides are finalizing a contract on Wednesday night, Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reported. Tampa Bay fired Greg Schiano on Monday and wasted very little time in hiring Smith, the former coach of the Bears.

Story here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/lovie-smith-gets-another-chance-reportedly-hired-coach-015446166--nfl.html)

headhawg
01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Big mistake. Defense wasn't their problem. Their offense was 31st in the NFL. Lovie can't find a good OC because he doesn't care about offense. He hires Tedford who has no NFL experience. Great choice. :rolleyes: Clearly the article writer who thinks that Smith is a good fit for TB didn't watch nine years of poor gameday decision-making and four OCs during that time. Of course, he's not going to have nine years this time.

Clocker
01-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Big mistake.

Anybody that can make it to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as QB is a football genius in my book.:p

JustRalph
01-02-2014, 03:52 AM
Anybody that can make it to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as QB is a football genius in my book.:p

2nd that motion.

Ten game winner and gets fired...........come on man!

headhawg
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Clearly you guys don't watch every second of every Bears game like I do, so I will cut you some slack. I never said that Lovie wasn't a very good defensive coach -- he is. No argument. But as a head coach, he has terrible in-game clock management, has poor in-game decision-making skill, can't make good halftime adjustments, and doesn't give a rat's ass about offense. Explain the genius that hired Terry Shea. Or promoted Mike Tice to OC. Or hired Mike Martz -- he of the mandatory 7 step drop passing game -- with a sieve of an offensive line.

Yes, he took the Bears to the Super Bowl with Grossman. For the first five games of that year, Grossman was pretty darn good. Threw one of the nicest deep balls in the game. Then defenses figured out that if you blitz him he would make the dumbest plays you would ever see. Bears defense was good all year but especially early in the season. Smith is fond of preaching "finishing strong". He doesn't practice what he preaches as his teams nearly always falter late. Look at his last season with the Bears. Lost five out of the last eight to miss the playoffs. Again.

Tampa could have made a worse hire than Smith for sure. But if they have championship aspirations there you can forget it. 25 mil for five years is too much to pay a guy for mediocrity.

JustRalph
01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Lovie take over on track

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10240276/leslie-frazier-says-joining-tampa-bay-buccaneers-defensive-coordinator

Ex Minn coach going to be DC

ronsmac
01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Clearly you guys don't watch every second of every Bears game like I do, so I will cut you some slack. I never said that Lovie wasn't a very good defensive coach -- he is. No argument. But as a head coach, he has terrible in-game clock management, has poor in-game decision-making skill, can't make good halftime adjustments, and doesn't give a rat's ass about offense. Explain the genius that hired Terry Shea. Or promoted Mike Tice to OC. Or hired Mike Martz -- he of the mandatory 7 step drop passing game -- with a sieve of an offensive line.

Yes, he took the Bears to the Super Bowl with Grossman. For the first five games of that year, Grossman was pretty darn good. Threw one of the nicest deep balls in the game. Then defenses figured out that if you blitz him he would make the dumbest plays you would ever see. Bears defense was good all year but especially early in the season. Smith is fond of preaching "finishing strong". He doesn't practice what he preaches as his teams nearly always falter late. Look at his last season with the Bears. Lost five out of the last eight to miss the playoffs. Again.

Tampa could have made a worse hire than Smith for sure. But if they have championship aspirations there you can forget it. 25 mil for five years is too much to pay a guy for mediocrity.That sounds exactly like John Harbaugh.

Striker
01-04-2014, 02:00 PM
2nd that motion.

Ten game winner and gets fired...........come on man!
But when you miss the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons like the Bears did, something needs to change.

Valuist
01-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Lovie is definitely not good at game day decision making but he will strengthen the defense and special teams, and the Bucs will win the turnover battle. It won't be pretty, but Tampa will be improved in 2014.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, getting to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as your QB is no small feat.

Bears O really improved this year w/out Lovie, but what about the rest of the team? Defense became terrible, and special teams, at least in coverage, fell off.

Striker
01-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Smart move here for an offensive mind especially with QBs. If Smith can get Marinelli also for the D line, this looks like a pretty good staff around him.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-announce-tedford-as-offensive-coordinator/2159646

Robert Goren
01-04-2014, 04:46 PM
He was work cut out for him at TB. There isn't much talent there including no real starting QB.

headhawg
01-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Smart move here for an offensive mind especially with QBs. Good for quarterbacks at the college level -- maybe. Check out this list before you call it a smart move:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
A.J. Feeley
Joe Ayoob
Nate Longshore
Kevin Riley
Zach Maynard
I wouldn't pencil Tampa in for a Super Bowl any time soon.