PDA

View Full Version : AQueduct: January 1, 2014

Teach
01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I want to again wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year, particularly the folks on this Pace Advantage forum and the people at NYRA.

Notes: As one of my racing pals used to say (he passed away this past year):

1) “All it takes is one!”

2) “Make a mental bet and lose your mind.”

3) “You can’t swing hard at every pitch.”

Oh, I should mention I walked the mile this morning in 13:12.1 on a fast road, breezing. Equipment change: glasses on. It helps me stay focused and I won‘t walk into parked cars.

Race One:

:6: Dr. Wesley is my pick in this allowance sprint. The Fappiano-bred gelding was third in his last against tougher. The gelding should benefit from cutting back a furlong. It’s the gelding’s second start off a layoff. Trainer Jason Servis is good with second off a layoff.

Attribute this to a “Bloody Mary” I had this morning. I need my morning dose of Vitamin C.

If I may, I’m intrigued by the gelding’s owners: White Wabbit Wacing Llc.
A quick story: A rabbit was found in a refrigerator. What are you doing in the refrigerator, Mr. Rabbit?” the homeowner asked. The rabbit responds, “Is this a Westinghouse?” “Yes, the homeowner replies, “Well, I’m just westing.” Anyway…

Others to consider are: : :7: Bet The Power; :2: Non Stop.

Race Two:

:6: Lily Lynn with Jose Ortiz is my choice in this allowance route. The Michelle Nevin trainee has been second in her last two. The 6 year-old mare should be closing on the outside as the horses move to the top of the stretch. Trainer Nevin does well with dirt starts.

Others to consider are: :5: Sus Annmaries Gold; :4: Princess Mara; :3: Bozique.

Race Three:

In the Affectionally Stakes to be contested over the distance of one mile and one-sixteenth for a purse of $100,000, I like: :3: Royal Lahaina (can owner Jim Riccio win two in a row?) won the Go for Wand (who could forget the sadness of that 1990 Breeders Cup?) at Aqueduct a little over a month ago. The Todd Pletcher-trainee looks like a major player in this race. Jose Ortiz rides.

Others to consider: :1: Centring (the logical); :5: Teen Pauline

Race Four:

:5: Red Constitution is my pick in this maiden claiming route. The A.P. Indy-bred filly has been third in her last two. Any slight improvement… Jockey Cornelio Velasquez for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Trainer Rodriguez is good with maiden claimers.

Also: :7: Please No Emails; :1: Charming Eyes; :6: Check the Credit.

Race Five:

In this optional claiming route, I like :5: Mr Palmer. The A.P. Indy-bred colt was second in his last, an optional claimer. Prior to that, the 4 year-old ran in the Discovery Handicap, Indiana Derby and Wood Memorial (he finished off the board in each; although he did manage a fourth-place finish in The Wood). Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, trains; Cornelio Velasquez rides.

Others to consider are: :1: Midnight Taboo; :4: Writingonthewall; :2: Rush Now.

Race Six:

In this claiming sprint, non-winners of two, I like :3: Blue Ballerina. The 4 year-old filly bobbled at the break and was steadied, yet she still managed to finish third. A cleaner trip would all that would seem necessary for this Bluegrass-sired distaffer to get her picture taken. Enrique Arroyo trains; apprentice Manuel Franco is in the irons.

Others to consider are: :6: Colorme Kitten; :7: Pegasus Blue; :4: Julesco.

Race Seven:

:3: Giant Finish gets my nod in this optional claiming route. This Giant’s Causeway-bred colt was decidedly overmatch in both The Belmont Stakes and Kentucky Derby. The 4 year-old colt now returns to the races some six months after The Belmont. The colt’s morning work-tab has been very good. If the colt shows any semblance of his previous form, it could be tantamount to a walk-over. On the other hand, I wonder why the colt’s connections have waited six months to put him back on the racetrack and, I might add, why is entered into such a non-descript race

Others to consider are: :9: Go Get The Basil; :5: Street Lord; :1: Papa Tom

Race Eight:

In the Interborough Stakes I like :5: Delightful Quality. The 5 year-old Gone West-bred mare has hit the board in all ten of her recent starts. Her last race was a second in the Garland of Roses at Aqueduct in early December. Anything resembling that effort and should be standing in the winner’s circle. Jose Ortiz for trainer Tom Albertrani.

Also: :4: Fantasy of Flight; :6: Baby J; :2: Lion D n A

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-special sprint, I like :7: Handy Stan. The Dehere-bred gelding was steadied in his last, yet he managed to finish third, just a neck off the winner. A cleaner trip could very well allow this 4 year-old gelding get all the enchiladas. Jockey Angel Arroyo for trainer Mark Shuman. Shuman, by the way, is very good with maiden-claiming to maiden-special.

Others to consider are: :3: Horatio; :10: Perfect Disco; :1: Between the Lines

Teach
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
First Race:

Three-horse field. :7: is scratched.

LAP_520
01-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Teach ~ wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year ..

And a big THANKS for taking time to handicap and post your views on the thoroughbred races ...

Cheers,

LAP_520

Teach
01-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks LAP 250.

I think with a three-horse field in the opener, you've got to be looking at doubles and/or gimmicks: Pick-3, Pick-5. I don't usually play Pick-5s, but I might just take a shot with the early short fields.

As always, everyone is a free agent, but if I do decide to play the Pick-5, this is probably what the ticket will look like:

Race One: :6:

Race Two: :6: , :5: , :3:

Race Three: :3: , :5: , :2:

Race Four: :5: , :6:

Race Five: :5: , :2:

I believe eighteen "smackers" covers it.