PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Picks: Tuesday, December 31

Teach
12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Tuesday, December 31:

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

The Pick-6 must be paid out today, the last day of the calendar year. Going in, the pool stood at nearly 95-Thou. I’m sure by 4th race post time, about 1:47, it will have risen to much loftier levels. Good Luck!

Race One:

:7: Sheedbedawon has the services of a solid jockey, apprentice Manuel Franco; trainer Thomas Morley is good with claimers. This lightly-raced filly has a third, a first and a second on the turf in her last three tries. In this non-descript field, I believe the filly shows the most consistency. She’s hit the tote five times in eleven tries in this non-winners of two.

Others to consider are: :6: Kate is a Ten; :4: Maxana; :9: Bargaining Table

Race Two:

:7: Jimmy Soul gets my nod in this maiden-special sprint. If he pops, he’ll certainly bring value. The gelding now cuts back a panel and one-half from his most recent effort about a month ago; he finished off the board in that one. Blinkers are off. Trainer Dominick Schettino does very well with horses who are discarding blinkers. The veteran Mike Luzzi is in the irons. At his best, this gelding has a shot. I’m trying to beat the logical favorite, below.

Others to consider:

:2: Father Johns Pride (the logical); :6: American Progress; :1: Vona

Race Three:

I like the :1a: , Whatabouthonor in this claiming sprint. He was bumped at the start of his last and ended up finishing third. The colt should get a clean trip from his outside post.

Others to consider are: :6: Road Agent; :8: Beeliner; :2b: Denzel

Race Four:

In this maiden-special sprint I’m leaning toward the :2: Sun and Moon. The filly just missed winning at this distance against similar. Any slight improvement… The red-hot Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin.

Also: :1: Tizarocket (razor-sharp morning works); :5: Sustainable; :4: Image of Anna.

Race Five:

In this optional claiming sprint, I’m going with the outside horse, :11: Moments Notiz. The well-named Tiznow-bred gelding won his last against loftier company. However that victory came less than a week ago. The gelding’s time in that one was very sharp. Can he repeat on such short notice?

Others to consider are: :2: Exley; :7: Quick Money; :8: Newton Crescent

Race Six:

Out on the limb with a low-percentage jockey combined with a hot trainer in this maiden-special sprint, I like :8: Mark Twain. The colt breezed four panels in :48 from the gate last Thursday; that signals he’s ready. If he fires, it could be at a price. I'll take a look at him on the track.

Also: :3: [B]Forged; :7: American Creed; :9: Winnitude

Race Seven:

In this optional claiming sprint, I’m going with :1: Sidearm. The colt narrowly missed in this company last time. A low-percentage jockey for a most capable trainer, Gary Contessa. Just might pop, at a price.

Others to consider are: :6: Eye Luv Lulu; :8: Sing the Dream; :7: Sandcat

Race Eight:

:7: Fortify is the logical here. Won his last, albeit on a muddy track. He's faced serious competition in the past, including competing in Breeders Cup Juvenile a little over a year ago. Based on his class alone, he should be strongly considered.

Also: :9: Cease; :5: Snake Pit; :10: This Hard Land

Race Nine:

My pick in the finale, a optional claiming New York State-bred route, is :2: Petrocelli. This horse has been declared more times than a $1 scratch ticket. This may well be this Citidancer-bred gelding’s spot. Switches from turf to dirt. Good morning work-tab.

Also: :8: Chilton; :7: Star of New York; :5: Tycoon Cat