PDA

View Full Version : Northeast blizzard coming?

JustRalph
12-31-2013, 02:56 AM
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/northeast-snowstorm-alert-thursday/21493316

These weather guys drive me nuts. But it might get ugly in the northeast at the end of the week

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/RadarLoop/bgm_None_anim.gif

ManU918
12-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Saying 4-8 inches in Philly on Friday...

Robert Goren
12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Time for TLG to dig out his list of "snowers":D

Saratoga_Mike
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
...another reason to move to Texas

Redboard
12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
...another reason to move to Texas

Not with Jerry Jones there.

:)

Grits
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
My Weather Channel page says there may be snow today in NYC. Big A watching in the snow is nice. Wish I was there, terribly so. I like snow, I don't see enough of it.

On the other hand, on Thurs and Fri with forecast highs of 30 and 16 and winds of 20 to 25 mph? Ouch!!! No.

Poor jockeys and horses. Racing may be cancelled for Friday. For their sake, I hope so.

RunForTheRoses
12-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm going to need some warm PJs like Ralph, that onesie comes in handy for at least something, and can't forget the Hot Chocolate.

badcompany
12-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Don't think they'll be racing in Saratoga this Friday.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/null_zpsd586f72d.png

JustRalph
12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm going to need some warm PJs like Ralph, that onesie comes in handy for at least something, and can't forget the Hot Chocolate.

I was wearing my onesie just last week :ThmbUp:

It's been cold in Dallas............

I look like Jackie Gleason playing baby new year...........but I'm warm!

Jay Trotter
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
It's been cold in Dallas............:lol: Daily low -53 C (with windchill) which equals -63.4 F But hey, it was sunny! :rolleyes:

JustRalph
12-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Thought you would like that one..........

Rookies
01-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Funny, that you showed that. The Weather Channel on my IPod has Saratoga as the home.Very amusing to see the weather now v.s. when you're baking live in August!

Try Lake George, where some of us stay. The proverbial brass monkey would be challenged! :lol:

Rookies
01-01-2014, 08:32 AM
:lol: Daily low -53 C (with windchill) which equals -63.4 F But hey, it was sunny! :rolleyes:

Saw some of those yesterday. Lots of brutal ones from coast to coast.

That storm could affect the 100k at the Winter Classic in Mowtown!

badcompany
01-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Funny, that you showed that. The Weather Channel on my IPod has Saratoga as the home.Very amusing to see the weather now v.s. when you're baking live in August!

Try Lake George, where some of us stay. The proverbial brass monkey would be challenged! :lol:

I've been up there in the winter a few times. It's weird seeing the place with snow on the ground.

badcompany
01-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Looks like Boston, Upstate and Western NY are gonna get hit the hardest, 12-15". NYC is looking at 5-8".

JustRalph
01-02-2014, 08:36 PM
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
656 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...A COASTAL STORM WILL BRING HEAVY SNOW ALONG WITH DANGEROUSLY
LOW WIND CHILLS TONIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING...

...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN
PLYMOUTH COUNTY AND CAPE COD TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING...

MAZ013>017-020-021-030800-
/O.CON.KBOX.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-140103T1500Z/
WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-
EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-
SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...
BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...FALL RIVER...NEW BEDFORD...
MATTAPOISETT
656 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST
FRIDAY...

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...AS WELL AS THE
SOUTH COAST OF MASSACHUSETTS WEST OF THE CANAL.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILLS.
CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS POSSIBLE AT TIMES TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 10 TO 14 INCHES.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY. THE
HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR TONIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING...
WHEN SNOW MAY FALL AT 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR.

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/RadarLoop/bgm_None_anim.gif

Tom
01-02-2014, 08:53 PM
20 inches in north Rochester, 12 where I live so far - expected to keep up another 10 hours.

Temps dropping to -9 by morning.

Counted 45 cars off the road on the NYS Thruway coming home, then gave up.
9 accidents involving 2-3 cars.

Oh, yay!

JustRalph
01-02-2014, 08:55 PM
20 inches in north Rochester, 12 where I live so far - expected to keep up another 10 hours.

Temps dropping to -9 by morning.

Counted 45 cars off the road on the NYS Thruway coming home, then gave up.
9 accidents involving 2-3 cars.

Oh, yay!

I take it you will be off tomorrow........... :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
New York City and Long Island expected to get 5-10 inches...big whoop...

They're making it like it's never snowed around here before...

Grits
01-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Stay warm, stay safe... stay home and off the roads if you can.

PaceAdvantage
01-03-2014, 02:10 AM
OK, so it's been snowing here for something like seven hours...and I can still clearly see the concrete on my back patio...and I can still see some of the grass on my front lawn and the walkway to my house has yet to be "filled in."

What does this mean?

Either it's not going to be anywhere near as much snow as they say, or there is an eight foot snowdrift just out of sight that will block out the sun tomorrow... :eek: :lol:

Greyfox
01-03-2014, 02:15 AM
OK, so it's been snowing here for something like seven hours...and I can still clearly see the concrete on my back patio

What does this mean?

It means your homeless and sleeping under a bridge. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
01-03-2014, 02:18 AM
I think the most striking weather event between now and Monday is the fact that on Monday, the high is predicted to be 46 degrees during the day, and the low at night is predicted to be 10. Don't ever recall such an extreme during the winter in such a short period of time.

Must be the global warming messing with my head.

JustRalph
01-03-2014, 02:32 AM
I think the most striking weather event between now and Monday is the fact that on Monday, the high is predicted to be 46 degrees during the day, and the low at night is predicted to be 10. Don't ever recall such an extreme during the winter in such a short period of time.

Must be the global warming messing with my head.

69-25 yesterday in some places near Dallas yesterday. Going to do the same on Saturday here........

lamboguy
01-03-2014, 02:37 AM
i just got done after 2 hours of blowing my snow. so far the snow has been close to a foot. it was pretty cold out there, it was close to zero if not less. the only thing i know is that i am getting to old for this stuff.

badcompany
01-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I'd say we have about 6", here. The forecast was basically spot on. With the cold, 11 degrees, right now, could be a treacherous day.

burnsy
01-03-2014, 07:30 AM

yeah, we're racing sled dogs......the blizzard has come and gone.......20 below tonight!

badcompany
01-03-2014, 07:43 AM
yeah, we're racing sled dogs......the blizzard has come and gone.......20 below tonight!

Congress Park must look nice.

I've been up there when there was a lot of snow on the ground. The problem is many of the streets are narrow and it becomes a matter of where to put the snow.

burnsy
01-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Congress Park must look nice.

It looks nice, the snow always looks nice....its the freakin cold that gets me! 12+ " here......

badcompany
01-03-2014, 07:52 AM
It looks nice, the snow always looks nice....its the freakin cold that gets me! 12+ " here......

Yeah, I like Toga when it's warm enough to sit outside without being cold, obviously not the case, today. Good luck.

burnsy
01-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I like Toga when it's warm enough to sit outside without being cold, obviously not the case, today. Good luck.

Going out to snowblow my driveway and walks now.....for the second time since yesterday.....thanks. Yeah, living up here is fine but the winters suck and you have to "earn" the great summer living we enjoy. Got to make my yearly vacation plans....this year i think i'm going to Gulfstream Park in February.

Redboard
01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Got about 10 inches of dry powder here in south jersey. Not too bad shoveling it away.

Everything's closed so I'm staying home and playing gulf.

cmp92
01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
In Buffalo it is currently 1 degree. Wind chill of -18.

I saw a nasty accident on my way home from work last night. I was going a safe speed given the road conditions. Roads were pretty good, not perfect, so I was still going under the speed limit. Guy in a Corolla guns past me and tries to move back in to my lane after passing. Well, he hit the small patch of snow/ice in between the lanes and ends up completely sideways about a car length ahead of me. My first reaction is to jam on the brakes, but I feel my car slide so I cut the wheel and somehow manage to slide around him. He ended up hitting the guard rail on the right side of the road head-on. He then bounces off of that and then slowly drives off the road on the left side and into a grassy median area.

I called 911 right away. I would have stopped but it was already past midnight and there are no street lights on this particular expressway.

notoutofpounds
01-03-2014, 12:53 PM
In Buffalo it is currently 1 degree. Wind chill of -18.

Did you follow the exploits of the Buffalo News hockey beat writer ?

Poor fellow found it cold here, it was only -38 F when I went out for a skate that day :lol:

It sounded like he missed the palm trees and ocean breeze back home.

Robert Goren
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
What kind of shot does AQU have of running tomorrow (Sat)?

lamboguy
01-03-2014, 01:10 PM
What kind of shot does AQU have of running tomorrow (Sat)?almost 100% and the same for Parx

Rookies
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
No snow in TO, by -23C this morning when I left for work. Some bad ass cold here for a couple of days.

Tom
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
21 inches and -11.
Up to 1 now.
Uh, oh....global warming kicking in!

Three accidents on one bridge this morning, all within 100 feet or so!
33 cars off the road on the Thruway today......people driving like idiots - the roads were very slippery.

Worst of all, the Saturday DRF did not make it to town today..... :mad:

Tom
01-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Calling now for a flash freeze Monday as we go from 40 to -5 rapidly - melting ice will re-freeze in minutes! Should be a good drive home.

Robert Fischer
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Calling now for a flash freeze Monday as we go from 40 to -5 rapidly - melting ice will re-freeze in minutes! Should be a good drive home.

Tom, it's so cold, I just saw a 'gangsta' pull up his pants.

Tom
01-05-2014, 04:02 PM
It is so cold......

Grandpa’s teeth were chattering - in the glass!

Starbucks was serving coffee on a stick!

The politicians had their hands in their OWN pockets!

thaskalos
01-05-2014, 04:12 PM
As God is my witness, if I make it out of Chicago alive this winter, I will never put up with this craziness ever again.

I am moving to Florida...right across the street from Lamboguy.

Greyfox
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
As God is my witness, if I make it out of Chicago alive this winter, I will never put up with this craziness ever again.

Then in the summer you'll be cursing hurricanes, mosquitos with denque fever,
snakes and so on. :lol:

Tom
01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
And the lawn lizzards. :eek:

jdhanover
01-05-2014, 10:44 PM

My wife and I thinking the same thing. But we know we are 'stuck' here for a few more years due to our son. Then we are thinking maybe around Tampa. or AZ (but I think Tampa will win out)

tucker6
01-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Never understood the fascination with FL. It is ungodly humid for 4-5 months a year, which is equal to Chicago cold in nastiness IMO. That's why I moved to the SC coast. Only ungodly humid for two months and we still average 60F in January for highs.

badcompany
01-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Never understood the fascination with FL. It is ungodly humid for 4-5 months a year, which is equal to Chicago cold in nastiness IMO. That's why I moved to the SC coast. Only ungodly humid for two months and we still average 60F in January for highs.

Moving to Florida is a tacit admission that you've given up.

Rookies
01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Canadians aren't called 'Snowbirds' for nada. The Seniors evacuate the country lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels anytime from November- April, but most in a tighter window than that. That way, they skim the cream off the year in Florida and return at a normal time.

Most of the N.E. is full of humidity in the summer, but boosting the effect when the temp is 100 in summer, is not for me!

In any case, I'm going to join them for 2.5 weeks post retirement in February! :jump: Just... to test the waters for the future... ;)

tucker6
01-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Canadians aren't called 'Snowbirds' for nada. The Seniors evacuate the country lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels anytime from November- April, but most in a tighter window than that. That way, they skim the cream off the year in Florida and return at a normal time.

Most of the N.E. is full of humidity in the summer, but boosting the effect when the temp is 100 in summer, is not for me!

In any case, I'm going to join them for 2.5 weeks post retirement in February! :jump: Just... to test the waters for the future... ;)
Yeah, we get tons of snowbirds from Jan thru March. I can certainly see the advantage of living in FL during that time, but not from May through Sept. That's just nuts. The new trend I've seen is that people in FL are starting to migrate back north a little into GA, SC, and NC. Partly due to the humidity and partly to be closer to family in the north.

ArlJim78
01-06-2014, 11:33 AM
temperature (not wind chill) of -16 this morning in Chicago.:eek:

Ocala Mike
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
61 degrees in Ocala right now, but the wind has picked up, and the front with a little rain has moved through. Expected to drop by 40 degrees to around 20 by tonight. Put blankets on the horses, and getting our ducks in a row for the big game later.

lamboguy
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
i just looked at that line for the game. Florida State is a 10 point favorite. Florida State has done nothing but blow people out the whole season. they played in a decent conference but not as good as the SEC. if i were playing i would be on Auburn.

Greyfox
01-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote of the Year?

"Excessively high temperatures" are "already" harming public health nationwide, Pres. Obama declared on Nov. 1, 2013, two months before today's assault by record low temperatures - See more at: http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/craig-bannister/executive-order-excessively-high-temperatures-already-harming-public#sthash.zBydELtl.dpuf

thaskalos
01-06-2014, 01:58 PM
temperature (not wind chill) of -16 this morning in Chicago.:eek:

Partly sunny and -14 at the present time...without the wind chill.

It's going to feel like summer come Wednesday, when the temperature shoots all the way up to 16 degrees above.

PhantomOnTour
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
We here in the south have never had to shovel through two feet of humidity just to get to our car.
Nor have we had to plug our cars in at night because the humidity is so bad it may freeze our battery :D

That being said - it is going to get down into the teens here in Cajunland tonight. Currently 31 degrees.
I ain't doing shit today

Rookies
01-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Tomorrow in TO... sinking again... down to 2F... taking about overnight wind chills of down to -40! :eek:

Making it tough for my last 6 weeks of work! ;)

lamboguy
01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
its supposed to get real cold in the northeast tuesday. i am hearing that Parx will probably cancel because the track will be a sheet of ice. its a mess today the way it is too.

woodtoo
01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Weyburn Saskatchewan a few hundred miles west had windchill of -63 F
last hour.

heading to midwest.:faint:

Valuist
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM

I'm in Chicago right now and I guarantee you, any of us here would take Florida humidity in a heartbeat. At noon, its still 13 below before windchill. About 35 below windchill. I will take 90 and 90 no question.

tucker6
01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm in Chicago right now and I guarantee you, any of us here would take Florida humidity in a heartbeat. At noon, its still 13 below before windchill. About 35 below windchill. I will take 90 and 90 no question.
no you wouldn't, and I don't even need to know you to know that answer. I come from the north myself, and I have personally experienced 93 temp and 84 dewpoint down here. It is steamier than anything you can dream up. You sweat just going to your car in the garage. It can go three months solid without the dewpoint getting below 75, and in southern FL, make that five months. At least you'll be above freezing in a few days. Those who say it gets humid in the summer in the north don't understand how laughable that is. You might get several days at dews above 70 and that's it. :D

PhantomOnTour
01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
no you wouldn't, and I don't even need to know you to know that answer. I come from the north myself, and I have personally experienced 93 temp and 84 dewpoint down here. It is steamier than anything you can dream up. You sweat just going to your car in the garage. It can go three months solid without the dewpoint getting below 75, and in southern FL, make that five months. At least you'll be above freezing in a few days. Those who say it gets humid in the summer in the north don't understand how laughable that is. You might get several days at dews above 70 and that's it. :D
You're correct...the humidity is thick.
That makes the hot hotter and the cold colder...but being born and raised in the deepest of the deep south I just cannot handle the cold.
What a wuss :D

Once it gets below about 40 degrees I basically shut it down.

Valuist
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM

So you are in the heat and humidity, you keep hydrated, the worst that can happen is you get sweaty. Be outside in 15 below temps for 10 minutes and you can get frostbite. Being sweaty is an inconvenience; not a health hazard. Bitter cold is painful to the skin.

Why do scores of people travel to the Caribbean where it IS very humid? I don't see anyone traveling to the Midwest in January if its not for business.

How come plenty of people are outside, golfing, walking, jogging, and swimming when its 90 and humid, yet nobody today is outside, other than to get to their car? Because nobody wants to be outside.

TJDave
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Palm Desert, CA checking in. It is currently 72 with a high of 74 predicted. Warming trend the rest of this week with Saturday's forecast high of 80. Evenings will be brutal with lows continuing in the 40's. No wind chill though so I guess that's something to be thankful for.

thaskalos
01-06-2014, 03:03 PM

I have felt extreme heat...and I have felt extreme cold.

And heat is better.

thaskalos
01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Palm Desert, CA checking in. It is currently 72 with a high of 74 predicted. Warming trend the rest of this week with Saturday's forecast high of 80. Evenings will be brutal with lows continuing in the 40's. No wind chill though so I guess that's something to be thankful for.

You are living the life I would have liked to live. :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I was in Vegas when it was 117 degrees.
That was about 17 past my limit.

What made it worse was BillW drank all the water.:eek:

tucker6
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE]So you are in the heat and humidity, you keep hydrated, the worst that can happen is you get sweaty.

No, the worst that can happen is you get heat stroke and die. Many do.

Being sweaty is an inconvenience; not a health hazard.

See above. That 93 temp and 84 dewpoint equated to a 121 heat index. Hot enough for ya?

Why do scores of people travel to the Caribbean where it IS very humid?

Because they have kids out of school and need to go somewhere. Besides, the trade winds keep the sweat away.

How come plenty of people are outside, golfing, walking, jogging, and swimming when its 90 and humid

No one is outside doing ANY of those things except swimming when the dewpoint is above 75. Nobody. The golf courses run special afternoon rates here in the summer to get people to the courses. I've gone for walks at 7pm and come back looking like a wet rag. :D

Robert Fischer
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
If possible, I will at least have a nice winter home somewhere eventually.

Warm weather person here.

TJDave
01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
You are living the life I would have liked to live. :ThmbUp:

It may sound unbelieveable but roads actually lead here.

tucker6
01-06-2014, 03:14 PM
I have felt extreme heat...and I have felt extreme cold.

And heat is better.
no doubt, and I would agree. But to equate an occasional cold snap or heat wave to long seasonal events in the far north or far south is comparing apples and oranges. You cannot escape winter in Winnipeg for months and you can't escape summer in FL. That's all I'm saying.

tucker6
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Palm Desert is my second favorite stop. Has everything one would need.

Edit to add that I once saw a woman go out on the town around 7pm wearing a coat and boots and the temp had barely gotten south of 90. By 10pm though, it WAS chilly, so she knew her climate. :D

thaskalos
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I am liquidating my assets as we speak...

thaskalos
01-06-2014, 03:25 PM
no doubt, and I would agree. But to equate an occasional cold snap or heat wave to long seasonal events in the far north or far south is comparing apples and oranges. You cannot escape winter in Winnipeg for months and you can't escape summer in FL. That's all I'm saying.

The weather in the Chicago area has changed considerably in recent years.

It isn't just that the winters are nasty, for the most part; the summers are not what they are supposed to be either.

The Chicago-area summer is becoming like what fall used to be...and fall is starting to resemble winter.

Mystic
01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
How many of you remember or experienced the blizzard of '78?

Kevin Murphy, 56, of Barberton, described the blizzard as ''something I will never forget.''

''You literally had to hold on to things if you were going outside,'' he said.

He recalls watching in disbelief as his neighbors tried to put out their trash. ''As soon as they set the bag down, it just took off,'' he said. :lol:

http://www.ohio.com/news/the-blizzard-of-1978-ohio-residents-will-never-forget-big-storm-of-30-years-ago-1.86302

Valuist
01-06-2014, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=Valuist]

No, the worst that can happen is you get heat stroke and die. Many do.

See above. That 93 temp and 84 dewpoint equated to a 121 heat index. Hot enough for ya?

Because they have kids out of school and need to go somewhere. Besides, the trade winds keep the sweat away.

No one is outside doing ANY of those things except swimming when the dewpoint is above 75. Nobody. The golf courses run special afternoon rates here in the summer to get people to the courses. I've gone for walks at 7pm and come back looking like a wet rag. :D

Again, you get sweaty. So what? Everyone else is sweaty. Drink plenty of fluids and wear a hat and its no big deal. I've been to Vegas in July; 116 degrees; granted little humidity but we've had 100 degree heat in the Midwest WITH humidity. I've been to Orlando in June when it was 90/90. I've been to Evansville and St. Louis in August when it was 95 degrees and very humid. I've been to Jamaica, Mexico, Miami, Brownsville and Phoenix. Like Phantom on Tour said earlier, ever have to shovel your way to get to your car with the high heat index? Not to mention all the other inconveniences bitter cold causes: better make sure you have plenty of gas in your car so it can start. Better make sure when you do start it, it runs long enough so it starts when you come back. Shoveling and/or snow blowing driveways and sidewalks. Always having to wear boots not to bring slush and snow into the house.

I find it ironic I'm arguing about climate with somebody who CHOSE to move to South Carolina from the north. Something motivated you to change. I doubt you see anybody moving from South Carolina to the Midwest for the weather.

TJDave
01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Palm Desert is my second favorite stop.

So, where's #1?

I'll move.

highnote
01-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I was in Salem, Ohio then. I don't remember this blizzard as being anything out of the ordinary for that part of Ohio. I was just a teenager so my friends and I probably had fun. The only thing I remember about Ohio winters is that I hated every one of them and couldn't wait to move away! :D

The winters in Kent were the worst. I remember one February we had to walk from a parking lot to the dormitory and didn't know if we could make it because the wind was blowing so hard it caused a whiteout. We kept our heads down and plowed on, but it was miserable. Other times, the wind would whip through the student center plaza that was horse shoe shaped. It was treacherous because of the ice on the paving stones -- not to mention the subzero temperatures that caused the inside of your nostrils to freeze when you breathed in.

I live near the ocean now in Connecticut and it has only gotten to 5 degrees once in the past 30 years. It is much milder here. Not as nice as San Diego, though.

How many of you remember or experienced the blizzard of '78?

Kevin Murphy, 56, of Barberton, described the blizzard as ''something I will never forget.''

''You literally had to hold on to things if you were going outside,'' he said.

He recalls watching in disbelief as his neighbors tried to put out their trash. ''As soon as they set the bag down, it just took off,'' he said. :lol:

http://www.ohio.com/news/the-blizzard-of-1978-ohio-residents-will-never-forget-big-storm-of-30-years-ago-1.86302

JustRalph
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
15 in Dallas last night. Onesy time!

Rookies
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM

Dave... no need to bludgeon it in ! :lol:

badcompany
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Makes you wonder if there's anything that could make Hcap renounce his Global Warming theories.

NJ Stinks
01-07-2014, 02:54 AM
10 to 3 in the morning and the wind is howling here. The temp is 9 degrees.

The pain from not having a roof over one's head tonight is beyond my imagination.

hcap
01-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Makes you wonder if there's anything that could make Hcap renounce his Global Warming theories.No. Global warming isn't expected to abolish winter in the U.S. anytime soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/06/can-global-warming-be-real-if-its-cold-in-the-u-s-um-yes/?tid=pm_pop

JustRalph
01-07-2014, 07:00 AM
No. Global warming isn't expected to abolish winter in the U.S. anytime soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/06/can-global-warming-be-real-if-its-cold-in-the-u-s-um-yes/?tid=pm_pop

I thought the science was settled? Keep campaigning.........

fast4522
01-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Global warming is a hoax, our Earth will do what it wants and when it wants.
The term is bantered about by the elite people in power to raise taxes to pay for the unending thirst of government to spend money. There is NO more money left in this country because we are borrowing from China at a all time alarming rate. Put your house in order, when the middle class wakes up, you will be the first to feel the effects of other desperate people who will mark you as easy pray because they think that you are weak and vulnerable. Baby it is cold outside, next year might not be as cold as this year, this is the way of the world. Either you are a man of the world and brave the cold or, you know.

hcap
01-07-2014, 07:07 AM
I thought the science was settled? Keep .......It is except among the anti-science right wing.

Campaigning? Badcompany asked a question. I answered

"Very Slow" is wrong as usual :lol:

tucker6
01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
No. Global warming isn't expected to abolish winter in the U.S. anytime soon.

not so fast my furry friend ...

From the year of our Lord 2000:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

LOLOLOLOLOL

HCAP, so which is it? Are we to expect less snow or more snow? More cold or less cold?? It's 17F right now in my backyard down here in Hilton Head, SC. Broke the record for the date by 4 degrees. And since you're answering questions, why is it that every time it gets cold, your climate "scientists" get all defensive rather than leap for joy that the Earth's fever is going down? :D

tucker6
01-07-2014, 07:14 AM
It is except among the anti-science right wing.

Campaigning? Badcompany asked a question. I answered

"Very Slow" is wrong as usual :lol:
odd that I know many scientists outside the "climate scientist" circles, and most say that GW is not as real as portrayed. Many of them are meteorologists. I wonder what the support for GW is among those feeding at the money trough versus those looking at the science objectively. If you lifted your head up long enough, I think you'd see the house of cards starting to lean quite a bit.

hcap
01-07-2014, 07:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_North_American_cold_wave

Everything is relative , speaking long term of course.

February
February 1936 US Temperature, in degrees Fahrenheit. Record warmest and coldest is based on a 112 yr period of records, 1895–2006.

February was by far the coldest month in the severe cold wave. The states of South Dakota, Minnesota, and North Dakota saw their coldest month on record, and average temperatures were below 0 °F (−18 °C). More heavy snow and severe wind chills created very dangerous conditions. Wind chills in some locations were near −100 °F (−73 °C). This intense cold compelled some people to wear seven layers of clothing before going outdoors. And two states in this February saw their coldest temperatures on record, −58 °F (−50 °C) in McIntosh, South Dakota, and −60 °F (−51 °C) in Parshall, North Dakota. These two states also recorded all-time high temperatures in July, less than five months later.

And...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1912_United_States_cold_wave

The freeze started around Christmas time in 1911 and continued through 1912. The cold air moving south from the Arctic caused many places in the northern United States to be severely cold, with extreme wind chills. In early January cold air kept moving south from an Arctic pressure system, bringing some of the coldest air seen in the United States since around 1886. The cold wave is reported to have killed 47 Americans in the first two weeks.[1]

In January 1912, Sioux Falls saw a record low temperature for the 20th century of −38 °F (−39 °C). That area also saw the longest stretch of below-zero weather for a single winter. Niagara Falls froze over so hard that some people were able to safely cross on ice bridges. Some states, such as Minnesota, saw their all-time coldest month, averaging below zero. Minneapolis set a record with 186 consecutive hours of sub-zero temperatures, from 8 pm on December 31 until 1 pm on January 8; after four hours slightly above zero the temperature dropped below for another 121 hours, until 10 am on January

hcap
01-07-2014, 07:45 AM
How quickly they forget
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/

The globally-averaged temperature for November 2013 was the highest for November since record keeping began in 1880. November 2013 also marks the 37th consecutive November and 345th consecutive month with a global temperature above the 20th century average.

Many areas of the world experienced higher-than-average monthly temperatures, including: much of Eurasia, coastal Africa, Central America, central South America, parts of the North Atlantic Ocean, the south west Pacific Ocean, and the Indian Ocean. Much of southern Russia, northwest Kazakhstan, south India, southern Madagascar, parts of the central and south Indian Ocean, and sections of the Pacific Ocean were record warm. Meanwhile, northern Australia, parts of North America, south west Greenland, and parts of the Southern Ocean near South America were cooler than average. No regions of the globe were record cold.

tucker6
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
How quickly they forget
except that this wasn't true HCAP. The satellite temps (you know, the ones that aren't manipulated by humans for personal gain) showed an average month. I wonder which dataset I should believe ... :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
01-07-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't if there is global warning or not, but I do know that the climate where I live is changing. It has become a place of extremes. We no longer have anything resembling a normal summer or winter. It is either way above normal or way below normal. You talk to anybody over the age 60 and they will all tell you that the weather we have now is not the weather of their childhood. A lot of things have changed in the last 50 years and it is highly unlikely that the only thing not effect by the those changes is the weather.

hcap
01-07-2014, 08:23 AM
except that this wasn't true HCAP. The satellite temps (you know, the ones that aren't manipulated by humans for personal gain) showed an average month. I wonder which dataset I should believe ... :rolleyes:Again

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/06/can-global-warming-be-real-if-its-cold-in-the-u-s-um-yes/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2014/01/december-2013-temperature-anomalies.png

What happens when you add it all up? Early data suggests that December 2013 was tied for the 2nd-hottest December on record since 1979, the beginning of satellite measurements, according to data from the University of Alabama-Huntsville. Meanwhile, global average temperatures for all of 2013 are expected to be among the 10 highest since 1850 (though we still don't have a final count yet).***

.................................................. .

Ok, why don't we see what happens temp wise after this cold snap?

jdhanover
01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Most scientists talk about climate change (vs "global warming") citing increased volatility of weather.

The (legitimate) debates are the underlying cause and the extent to which it will wreak havoc . Is it man-made (excess industrialization)? Is it 'natural' (the earth 'cycles')? Will it mean coastline erosion and mass flooding? Or just a few more storms, heat waves and cold snaps?

Biggest question - is there anything we can do about it?

Personally - I'd like the attention on 'climate change' shift and be focused on pollution of the planet (it is bad and getting worse). Coral reefs are struggling worldwide. More species going extinct. Air/water pollution is horrible in some parts of the world. We can/should do things abou this problem because we KNOW we are the cause.
Just my two cents

tucker6
01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Again

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/06/can-global-warming-be-real-if-its-cold-in-the-u-s-um-yes/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2014/01/december-2013-temperature-anomalies.png

What happens when you add it all up? Early data suggests that December 2013 was tied for the 2nd-hottest December on record since 1979, the beginning of satellite measurements, according to data from the University of Alabama-Huntsville. Meanwhile, global average temperatures for all of 2013 are expected to be among the 10 highest since 1850 (though we still don't have a final count yet).***

.................................................. .

Ok, why don't we see what happens temp wise after this cold snap?
The difference between you and me is that I don't trust data that has been manipulated by the human hand before I can see it, and even then I'm only given half the story.

hcap
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Must-see morning clip: Don’t trust those “global warming scientist thousandaires”

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/07/must_see_morning_clip_dont_trust_those_global_warm ing_scientist_thousandaires/

http://media.salon.com/2014/01/Screen-Shot-2014-01-07-at-9.13.46-AM-620x348.png

Donald Trump is a genius :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hcap
01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
While Most of U.S. Froze, Parts of Alaska Set Record Highs

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/while-most-of-u.s.-froze-parts-of-alaska-set-record-highs-16817

Along Alaska's northern coastline, which lies above the Arctic Circle, the warmest December temperatures on record in at least 70 years occurred this past week. At the airport in Deadhorse, which serves the oil production hub of Prudhoe Bay, the temperature hit 39°F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968, said Rick Thoman of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Fairbanks in an interview. Even more notable, perhaps, was the fact that it was raining, rather than snowing. Rain there is unusual so late in the year.

Previously, the highest December temperature recorded at any of the two climate observation sites that have served Prudhoe Bay over the years was 35°F, set on Dec. 31, 1973, according to Chris Burt, a blogger a

tucker6
01-07-2014, 02:50 PM
While Most of U.S. Froze, Parts of Alaska Set Record Highs

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/while-most-of-u.s.-froze-parts-of-alaska-set-record-highs-16817

Along Alaska's northern coastline, which lies above the Arctic Circle, the warmest December temperatures on record in at least 70 years occurred this past week. At the airport in Deadhorse, which serves the oil production hub of Prudhoe Bay, the temperature hit 39°F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968, said Rick Thoman of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Fairbanks in an interview. Even more notable, perhaps, was the fact that it was raining, rather than snowing. Rain there is unusual so late in the year.

Previously, the highest December temperature recorded at any of the two climate observation sites that have served Prudhoe Bay over the years was 35°F, set on Dec. 31, 1973, according to Chris Burt, a blogger a
I hope Al Gore is handsomely rewarding you for all the water you carry for him. If you weren't so misguided you'd probably be my hero for your daily attempts at walking on water.

Ocala Mike
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
hcap, you're either preaching to the choir, which is unnecessary, or to the fallen, which is futile.

Here's a brief post from a European friend that I "stole" from an unrelated forum (but apropos of the topic):

"Well the thing about global warming is that it's global. And here in Europe, we just had the second warmest December ever, and January has started out even warmer.

Not that it says too much about global warming over time either, but assessing climate CHANGE from sticking your nose out the window is just plain naive."

hcap
01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I hope Al Gore is handsomely rewarding you for all the water you carry for him. If you weren't so misguided you'd probably be my hero for your daily attempts at walking on water.You did mean to say all them buckets of "ice" for him didn't you? :lol:

I am only reacting to all the climate change denying that goes on here.

hcap
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
hcap, you're either preaching to the choir, which is unnecessary, or to the fallen, which is futile.

Here's a brief post from a European friend that I "stole" from an unrelated forum (but apropos of the topic):

"Well the thing about global warming is that it's global. And here in Europe, we just had the second warmest December ever, and January has started out even warmer.

Not that it says too much about global warming over time either, but assessing climate CHANGE from sticking your nose out the window is just plain naive."I am well aware of how silly it is. I have been at it here fot many years. However tucker and I have a history of poking each other in the eye just for fun.

Unlike boxcar and I throwing hand grenades :lol: :lol:

badcompany
01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Not that it says too much about global warming over time either, but assessing climate CHANGE from sticking your nose out the window is just plain naive."

So, there isn't the slightest chance that the Global Warming theory is wrong?

JustRalph
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
You did mean to say all them buckets of "ice" for him didn't you? :lol:

I am only reacting to all the climate change denying that goes on here.

I'll go with this guy. Seems qualified and stable

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/what-catastrophe_773268.html

Sapio
01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
not so fast my furry friend ...

From the year of our Lord 2000:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

LOLOLOLOLOL

HCAP, so which is it? Are we to expect less snow or more snow? More cold or less cold?? It's 17F right now in my backyard down here in Hilton Head, SC. Broke the record for the date by 4 degrees. And since you're answering questions, why is it that every time it gets cold, your climate "scientists" get all defensive rather than leap for joy that the Earth's fever is going down? :D

Could it be that the models they no work so good.

Thomas Sapio

tucker6
01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Could it be that the models they no work so good.

Thomas Sapio
well, I'm not so sure about that. The ones I've dated worked pretty well as long as the money was flowing!

... oops, do you mean climate models? ;)

hcap
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
So, there isn't the slightest chance that the Global Warming theory is wrong?Aoprox 3%, since 97% of climate scientists are on the other side. It is unlikely the worlds' scientists are being bought off. Rather it is those funded by the fossil fuel energy vested interests. In other words many of those illustrious 3 % ters.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES

Statement on climate change from 18 scientific associations

"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research demonstrates that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver." (2009)2
AAAS emblem
American Association for the Advancement of Science

"The scientific evidence is clear: global climate change caused by human activities is occurring now, and it is a growing threat to society." (2006)3
ACS emblem
American Chemical Society

"Comprehensive scientific assessments of our current and potential future climates clearly indicate that climate change is real, largely attributable to emissions from human activities, and potentially a very serious problem." (2004)4
AGU emblem
American Geophysical Union

"Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes." (Adopted 2003, revised and reaffirmed 2007, 2012, 2013)5
AMA emblem
American Medical Association

"Our AMA ... supports the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s fourth assessment report and concurs with the scientific consensus that the Earth is undergoing adverse global climate change and that anthropogenic contributions are significant." (2013)6
AMS emblem
American Meteorological Society

"It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2), chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide." (2012)7
APS emblem
American Physical Society

"The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth’s physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now." (2007)8
GSA emblem
The Geological Society of America

"The Geological Society of America (GSA) concurs with assessments by the National Academies of Science (2005), the National Research Council (2006), and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007) that global climate has warmed and that human activities (mainly greenhouse‐gas emissions) account for most of the warming since the middle 1900s." (2006; revised 2010)9

SCIENCE ACADEMIES

International academies: Joint statement

"Climate change is real. There will always be uncertainty in understanding a system as complex as the world’s climate. However there is now strong evidence that significant global warming is occurring. The evidence comes from direct measurements of rising surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures and from phenomena such as increases in average global sea levels, retreating glaciers, and changes to many physical and biological systems. It is likely that most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed to human activities (IPCC 2001)." (2005, 11 international science academies)10
USNAS emblem
U.S. National Academy of Sciences

"The scientific understanding of climate change is now sufficiently clear to justify taking steps to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere." (2005)11

U.S. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES

USGCRP emblem
U.S. Global Change Research Program

"The global warming of the past 50 years is due primarily to human-induced increases in heat-trapping gases. Human 'fingerprints' also have been identified in many other aspects of the climate system, including changes in ocean heat content, precipitation, atmospheric moisture, and Arctic sea ice." (2009, 13 U.S. government departments and agencies)12

INTERGOVERNMENTAL BODIES

IPCC emblem
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

“Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level.”13

“Most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely* due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations.”14

*IPCC defines ‘very likely’ as greater than 90 percent probability of occurrence.

OTHER RESOURCES

List of worldwide scientific organizations

The following page lists the nearly 200 worldwide scientific organizations that hold the position that climate change has been caused by human action.
http://opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php
U.S. agencies

The following page contains information on what federal agencies are doing to adapt to climate change.
http://www.c2es.org/docUploads/federal-agencies-adaptation.pdf

tucker6
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
So, there isn't the slightest chance that the Global Warming theory is wrong?
As Lord Kelvin once said around 1900, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now, All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

I sense this quote applies to many of the Alarmists out there who are failing to learn from history, and are thus doomed to repeat it.

tucker6
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Aoprox 3%, since 97% of climate scientists are on the other side. It is unlikely the worlds' scientists are being bought off. Rather it is those funded by the fossil fuel energy vested interests. In other words many of those illustrious 3 % ters.

you realize don't you that the 97% number is completely bogus no matter how many times you publish that garbage paper. The facts were waterboarded repeatedly until they confessed.

hcap
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
you realize don't you that the 97% number is completely bogus no matter how many times you publish that garbage paper. The facts were waterboarded repeatedly until they confessed.No you rely on dumb asses like A Watts. Check out how many legitimate governmental agencies, Universities and accredited climate specialists are listed in my last post and that is not all. Got news for you, Lord Kelvin would be with the majority :lol:

On the other hand name one university endorsing climate change deniers or for that matter one governmental agency anywhere in the world.
Credentials please.

Can you list any group other than front groups for the petro-chemcal industry?

PS: Paceadvantage commenters don't count unless hey agree with me. However if you want, I will let you use boxcar to reinforce your position. He does agree with you gents :lol: :lol: :cool:

Ocala Mike
01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
As Lord Kelvin once said around 1900, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now, All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

I sense this quote applies to many of the Alarmists out there who are failing to learn from history, and are thus doomed to repeat it.

Seriously, you're hanging your hat on Lord Kelvin? The advances in physics over the last 100 years are nothing short of monumental. Here's a not so flattering critique of him:

http://www.solarstorms.org/SKelvin.html

tucker6
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
No you rely on dumb asses like A Watts. Check out how many legitimate governmental agencies, Universities and accredited climate specialists are listed in my last post and that is not all. Got news for you, Lord Kelvin would be with the majority :lol:

On the other hand name one university endorsing climate change deniers or for that matter one governmental agency anywhere in the world.
Credentials please.

Can you list any group other than front groups for the petro-chemcal industry?

PS: Paceadvantage commenters don't count unless hey agree with me. However if you want, I will let you use boxcar to reinforce your position. He does agree with you gents :lol: :lol: :cool:
Maybe you haven't been paying attention to how money talks in the climate game. What do universities and countries and climate scientists have in common? Their main motivation is to accumulate more largesse for themselves. Just follow the money trial my friend. Doesn't need to get any deeper than that, and I absolutely believe that!

tucker6
01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Seriously, you're hanging your hat on Lord Kelvin? The advances in physics over the last 100 years are nothing short of monumental. Here's a not so flattering critique of him:

http://www.solarstorms.org/SKelvin.html
I think you completely missed my point, but was able to highlight exactly why I quoted him in the first place. Insert climate scientists in place of Lord Kelvin and ...

hcap
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Maybe you haven't been paying attention to how money talks in the climate game. What do universities and countries and climate scientists have in common? There main motivation is to accumulate more largesse for themselves. Just follow the money trial my friend. Doesn't need to get deeper than that, and I absolutely believe that!
How's that list of world agencies and universities coming? :lol:

One University maybe? Futile isn't it?
Ok try the other side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scienti fic_assessment_of_global_warming

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Climate_science_opinion2.png/330px-Climate_science_opinion2.png

tucker6
01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
How's that list of world agencies and universities coming? :lol:

One University maybe? Futile isn't it?
Ok try the other side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scienti fic_assessment_of_global_warming

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Climate_science_opinion2.png/330px-Climate_science_opinion2.png
Again, follow the money trail. It isn't this difficult HCAP.

Ocala Mike
01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I think you completely missed my point, but was able to highlight exactly why I quoted him in the first place. Insert climate scientists in place of Lord Kelvin and ...

OK; got it. The way your second paragraph reads, however, one could easily surmise that you were holding him out as an example for your side.

iceknight
01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
1. It is still scientifically not proven and I highly doubt it can be.. that global climate change is mainly caused by anthropogenic actions.

2. Sea ice - something that is harder to freeze is increasing around the Antartic and I see the Washington post blog article clutching at thin straws then talking about land ice disappearance etc.

While I am all for efficiency improvements and reduction of direct negative effects from fossil fuels, indiscriminate curbing and bashing of industries that drive economies is just not appropriate.