PDA

View Full Version : "Search Protect" Icon

Ocala Mike
12-27-2013, 07:35 PM
An icon and its link suddenly appeared on my computer through no action on my part that I am aware of. I didn't link on it. Virus? I looked to remove the program by that name, but couldn't find it installed, only the icon. Any advice?

HUSKER55
12-27-2013, 07:41 PM
couple ideas:
is your private phishing On? that allows you to get on the internet and not give out your location and etc.

AVG has a similar feature in their internet total package. I would assume they all do.

Just a guess.

johnhannibalsmith
12-27-2013, 07:42 PM
http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-6922-0.html

I think this thing is a cousin of the crap that had my IE messed up as detailed in a recent thread.

Ocala Mike
12-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks, jhs; that's it - Search Protect by Conduit. I bookmarked your link, and will proceed to deal with it. For the life of me, I don't understand how this stuff gets through my firewall AND my McAfee anti-virus software.

johnhannibalsmith
12-27-2013, 10:57 PM
For what it's worth, I have no clue how it (the browser hijack variation) ended up on mine either. I never downloaded a thing between when it wasn't there and when it appeared other than the customary windows update. I tried like mad to get rid of it and couldn't, then following another windows update, it vanished. I'd be interested if yours appeared suddenly after such an update because I couldn't come up with anything else.

JustRalph
12-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks, jhs; that's it - Search Protect by Conduit. I bookmarked your link, and will proceed to deal with it. For the life of me, I don't understand how this stuff gets through my firewall AND my McAfee anti-virus software.

The above statement explains everything. What you are dealing with is not something that either your firewall or your anti-virus protects against.

It's an install package that came along for the ride with something you installed. Something you gave permission to enter your machine. Figure out what you have downloaded or installed recently and then you may find an answer

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Someone told me that some of the 3rd party "download managers" have a license agreement that allows them to install stuff without any further permissions.

I do not know if this is true and I NEVER allow them to install in the first place.

That is why CDNet is not the great place to get software that it once was.

jerry-g
12-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Someone told me that some of the 3rd party "download managers" have a license agreement that allows them to install stuff without any further permissions.

I do not know if this is true and I NEVER allow them to install in the first place.

That is why CDNet is not the great place to get software that it once was.

This is so true. As Riley use to say on "The Life of Riley", this is a revolting
development!

If these rascals did this in real time out on the highway to truckers, soon
they would be staring down the barrel of a Saturday Night Special.

The good news is that some downloads give you the option of using a
mirror that does not install crapware. Of course, due diligence on anyone's
part to fully understand the consequences of the download is best. You
can allow the download to be or not to be. Sometimes when I find they
still installed something I don't want, I get things put right by deleting
their toolbar or search engine. If they give me any static I simply use
Revro Uninstaller to kill them off big time. I have zero tolerance for
hyjackers of my homepage.

Longshot6977
12-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Figure out what you have downloaded or installed recently and then you may find an answer

Sometimes they have timers to install their crap several days or weeks or so after you download/install it.

I'm not sure I'm expressing this clearly enough, but here goes. Be careful when installing software apps that you think you are saying no to installing their 'additional toolbars' or whatever. They get tricky on their wording and may say something like "Continue?"; which could mean continue to install the crap or continue to cancel like you really wanted. Just re-read their question. They really want their search engine or toolbar on your machine and will trick you into answering correctly. They also want it hidden in your registry and make it difficult to remove. If in doubt, do a system restore immediately after installing said program.

Ocala Mike
12-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Interestingly enough, the icon and pop-up are now nowhere in evidence on my computer. I believe it must have come in associated with a specific site that I "errantly" visited. Anyway, if it pops up again, I know what to do. Thanks, guys!