PDA

View Full Version : Camel Jockey

JustRalph
03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
I found this picture on the MSNBC site. I found the age of the rider and the two way radio interesting......... I have never seen anything like it before. I thought it might be interesting to some here. Can you imagine Jerry Bailey being able to talk via two way radio back to Bill Mott or the like during a big stakes event? The Nascar guys have been doing it for years, but since I don't know the distance of the Camel races, it kind of makes it hard to figure. But I bet it would be interesting to listen in sometimes.

Click the link below to see the pic

This is hosted on my site.........any objections by MSNBC please forward those to ralph@justralph.com

Camel Jock (http://www.justralph.com/camel_jock.jpg)

Dan
03-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Good one. Is that the Annual Kuwaiti Derby? Okay, $10 to Win on 'Mohammend's Revenge' in the 5th.

Instead of the 'Run for the Roses' maybe they call it the annual 'Run From the Sandstorm'.

:)

Tom
03-30-2004, 08:48 PM
I thought it was the Republican Gurad mounted division at first!

Dick Schmidt
03-31-2004, 03:04 AM
Just a thought. Does anyone know if using a two way radio between jockey and trainer is against the rules??? I've never seen it done, but I don't know if it has ever been tried. Considering the size of modern com gear, it would be hard to detect.

Dick

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Dan
03-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Dick,

I don't know if it is legal.

I guess it would be just like Nascar spotters. "Go low, go high, inside, inside, hold your line, etc." "Hey, I need to pit for a quick hair brushing."

At the start of the race they might do the Darrell Waltrip thing - boogity, boogity, boogity.

Dan

Ever walk into a room and then forget how you got there?

Tom
03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Legal or not, those damn jocks never listen anyways! :D

Speed Figure
03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Who has "Camel Pace & Speed Figures"!:eek:

Dan
03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
Who has "Camel Pace & Speed Figures"!:eek:

What's better? One hump or two?

BL

JustRalph
04-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by buddy_love

What's better? One hump or two?

BL

depends on how well she does with the first one........

Tom
04-04-2004, 12:01 AM
A Camel would walk a mile for you! :p

Dan
04-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
depends on how well she does with the first one........

I was waiting for someone to jump on that line.

:D

freeneasy
04-06-2004, 11:42 PM
and ya gotta wtch youselfs in the winners circle cause i hear those damn camals dont care who you are, they'll spit on anybody. jock, trainer, owner, guy taking the picture, fans, they'll hock up big one and spit it right on ya.

kenwoodallpromos
04-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Not to mention break your arm!!

witchdoctor
04-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Remimds of the good days at FMT. They would races with everything. Jockeys would ride camals which would cover 350 yards in about 45 seconds. The slow motions replays were hilarious. They also raced ostriches One the jocks was whipping his bird and fell off. The ostrich turned around and started pecking the crap out of him. It took a could of ostrich handlers to pull the bird off of him.
Finally they had a Bison named Harvey Wallbanger that routinely beat the quarterhorses covering 350 yards in abut 17.8 seconds.
PETA finally got them to stop these races.

freeneasy
04-07-2004, 09:50 PM
i took a tour of this ostradge farm once and the guide that these birds can literally shred you to pieces with those toenails of theres. i mean those things are like giant talons. from that moment on i had a new respect for those birds and that guy was freaken lucky that bird didnt take to ripping him apart. but the guide also said that they also peck at you when their in heat. sounds like that one wanted to head for the shed with this guy real bad. :D