PDA

View Full Version : The Admiral

Thebigguy
12-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Santa Anita Race 3 today. To me, he has the feel of a true Derby type horse. Really hoping that he puts it together today. As for betting, its a small field. But if he is a comparable price to the NY shipper then I believe he is worth betting. He feels like a much more likely winner to me at very similar ML odds.

GMB@BP
12-27-2013, 12:22 PM
That is a really good race, I can make a case for 1-4. That race Cool Samurai comes out of is salty as well.

GaryG
12-27-2013, 12:36 PM
The Admiral will be hammered down to 3-5 or so. I like Cool Samurai quite a bit and the price will be right.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2013, 04:32 PM
not the fastest works for the Admiral given the trainer preferences.

Robert Fischer
12-27-2013, 04:38 PM
tough beat for the Admiral considering the pace duel, but he still had a chance to win if he was head and shoulders better than these.

Cool Samurai had a dream trip, but on the bright side, was much more professional today.

Thebigguy
12-27-2013, 08:02 PM
tough beat for the Admiral considering the pace duel, but he still had a chance to win if he was head and shoulders better than these.

Cool Samurai had a dream trip, but on the bright side, was much more professional today.

I expected more out of him today. Im sure he will be OK, the top 2 will be fine going forward.

horses4courses
12-27-2013, 08:11 PM

How can you say the winner had an ideal trip?

He would have won easier had the pace for 6 furlongs been quicker.
They went a fifth quicker for three quarters in the MCL 8th race.

I believe that the winner has at least as bright a future as the runner-up.
Probably even more so......

Robert Fischer
12-27-2013, 08:31 PM
How can you say the winner had an ideal trip?

He would have won easier had the pace for 6 furlongs been quicker.
They went a fifth quicker for three quarters in the MCL 8th race.

I believe that the winner has at least as bright a future as the runner-up.
Probably even more so......

You could be right.

I thought the winner had a dream trip today. The 1 unexpectedly broke running and what was going to be an easy lead turned into a little bit of a grind out of the gate until Talamo ceded the lead.

The two leaders were pretty far in front of the others, whether or not they were ultra quick compared to other races.

Cool Samurai ran a stylish race, but he also moved up with the flow of the race.

I'm not betting derby futures on either one, but they are both solid horses.

Stillriledup
12-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Santa Anita Race 3 today. To me, he has the feel of a true Derby type horse. Really hoping that he puts it together today. As for betting, its a small field. But if he is a comparable price to the NY shipper then I believe he is worth betting. He feels like a much more likely winner to me at very similar ML odds.

Not to be critical of your post, but does this horse really have a true "routers gait"? Also, out of a Saratoga Six mare, doesnt scream mile and a quarter. Does that bother you at all?

Thebigguy
12-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Not to be critical of your post, but does this horse really have a true "routers gait"? Also, out of a Saratoga Six mare, doesnt scream mile and a quarter. Does that bother you at all?

I dont think you're being critical, not at all.
After todays race it bothers me. Duel or no duel at one point at the top of the stretch it felt like he could run off. He just could not. Distance limitations seem very possible. I think he is talented regardless though.

classhandicapper
12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
When horses open up on the rest of the field like that, it's typically a sign of a fast pace. But there was very little speed in that race, both the leaders finished OK late, and the fractions weren't particularly fast relative to the final time . So I'm going to guess that despite appearances, it was a pretty neutral setup. Had Icy Ground not also made up a lot of ground, I'd actually lean towards Cool Samurai running especially well. But I'll stick with neutral.

GMB@BP
12-28-2013, 01:45 PM
The final number was fairly strong from CJ, not sure of the pace. Wicked Strong who beat Cool Samraui is a nice horse and he was right with him so I think that was a good maiden setup or not.

Maybe a good call on The Admiral distance, he ran like a sprinter in that first race tracking a solid pace and making a run, he just was a bit flat in comparison.

Stillriledup
01-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Admiral racing in a few mins at SA.

cj
01-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Admiral racing in a few mins at SA.

That was ugly, for both him and the Baffert 1st timer that was favored.

Stillriledup
01-17-2014, 10:45 PM
That was ugly, for both him and the Baffert 1st timer that was favored.

yes, rough day for both.