PDA

View Full Version : Six Furlongs at Mountain, 118.15.

Stillriledup
12-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Race 6 tonight.

Has there ever been a slower winning time on a fast track at a B track or higher that you can remember?

I dont remember one.

HUSKER55
12-26-2013, 09:22 PM
sadly, somewhere, that is a record. unfortunately, it is here.

Shemp Howard
12-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Better yet, the 7-5 favorite is beaten by 53 lengths!

Stillriledup
12-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Better yet, the 7-5 favorite is beaten by 53 lengths!

At 6 lengths per second, that means he covered the 6 furlongs in.....wait for it.....

126 and change?

Some of The slowest harness horses go 3 quarters faster than 126. :D

therussmeister
12-26-2013, 09:45 PM
But they weren't going six lengths per second, or it wouldn't have taken so long.

SharpCat
12-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Race 6 tonight.

Has there ever been a slower winning time on a fast track at a B track or higher that you can remember?

I dont remember one.

The last quarter was in 26.14 amazingly not nearly as bad as the 32.11 last quarter in the 4th race. Poor horse was up by about 10 at the 16th pole and the jock still gave him a crack of the whip.

Tom
12-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Pacers or trotters?

SharpCat
12-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Pacers or trotters?

Cripplers!

Exotic1
12-27-2013, 09:48 AM
At 6 lengths per second, that means he covered the 6 furlongs in.....wait for it.....

126 and change?

Some of The slowest harness horses go 3 quarters faster than 126. :D

Looking at the charts, first quarters were a little slow but nothing compared to the stretch runs. Track conditions yes, but probably more of the atmospheric kind like headwinds came into play. Looks like if you made it to the half mile on top, nothing was going to make up ground to catch you. From a timing standpoint, it does look a little peculiar though - if there was a strong headwind wouldn't there have been a strong tailwind helping 1st qtrs times? Then again, the backside (no jokes here) at MTR runs at an angle from the gate (at least it looks that way), so maybe you won't get the full benefit of a tail wind. Mountainman may help.

speed
12-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Happens every year when they winterize the track. Gonna guess that is what has happened.

AlbertButtry
12-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Looking at the charts, first quarters were a little slow but nothing compared to the stretch runs. Track conditions yes, but probably more of the atmospheric kind like headwinds came into play. Looks like if you made it to the half mile on top, nothing was going to make up ground to catch you. From a timing standpoint, it does look a little peculiar though - if there was a strong headwind wouldn't there have been a strong tailwind helping 1st qtrs times? Then again, the backside (no jokes here) at MTR runs at an angle from the gate (at least it looks that way), so maybe you won't get the full benefit of a tail wind. Mountainman may help.

The track does this every once in a while. One would think with the times it would be kickers. I don't think it was atmospheric. It is more of just some of the horses handle the surface and others don't. I hate playing the track like. It is essentially like throwing darts. The only thing you can do is try to find a speed and hope it takes to it

mountainman
12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Like Al said, it was a peculiar surface-not "fast" in a conventional sense, but crunchy and containing frozen moisture-that some horses loved and others didn't handle at all. Also, a certain part of the track-from about the 2-path to 4-path-seemed to propel leaders to freakish margins of victory.

Exotic1
12-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys.

cj
12-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Interesting that the track still seemed kind to speed types, maybe even favored them.

Definitely the slowest track variant I've seen this year.

classhandicapper
12-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Interesting that the track still seemed kind to speed types, maybe even favored them.

Definitely the slowest track variant I've seen this year.

Flip side of Santa Anita yesterday where the times were fast but the track wasn't particularly kind to speed. Interesting phenomenon to think about.

cj
12-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Flip side of Santa Anita yesterday where the times were fast but the track wasn't particularly kind to speed. Interesting phenomenon to think about.

Yeah, I've often said that the actual speed of the track doesn't necessarily mean the track favors speed or closers.