PDA

View Full Version : My Congressman's Christmas Message

Ocala Mike
12-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I have no problem with Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, and I certainly understand that the holiday represents the birth of Christ. Does anyone but me, however, think that a congressman should represent all of the people in his district who may not accept Jesus Christ as their savior?

Here is an excerpt from his e-mailed Christmas message:

"As we settle down with our family this evening to enjoy Christmas Eve, I want to encourage you to take a moment, give thanks, and remember that this season is a time for unity, family, and the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. We all have so much to be grateful for and, too often, it is easy to forget what is really important in the midst of our day-to-day grind."

Wouldn't a simple "birth of Jesus Christ" be more appropriate? Maybe he just meant "our savior" to mean him and his family?

Opinions? If you were a Jew, a Muslim, or an atheist, would you be offended to receive this in your e-mail?

jballscalls
12-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Honestly, it wouldn't really offend me or bother me, I'd just delete it and be slightly annoyed for a couple seconds, just because I don't really care to hear any religious stuff in my email.

sammy the sage
12-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Frankly I'm tired about ALL THE political correctness crap on EVERY topic...period...

at least this politician is standing up FOR SOMETHING... :lol: :D ...if it bothers someone that much...vote against...

just wish it was something THAT was important for ALL in his/her district :rolleyes:

TJDave
12-25-2013, 01:01 PM
I would be offended if my congressman sent an email. I give him money. I expect more.

Robert Goren
12-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Probably a pretty standard email from a congressmen. If you are offended by his overt Christianity, don't vote for him next time.

TJDave
12-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Probably a pretty standard email from a congressmen. If you are offended by his overt Christianity, don't vote for him next time.

Actually, a congressman should know enough about his/her constituents to distinguish who should get what. If his staff can't figure it out they should ask Google.

Tom
12-25-2013, 01:59 PM
To all those who do no like to hear Merry Christmas, I have two alternate words for you.

And I mean them sincerely.

Greyfox
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Frankly I'm tired about ALL THE political correctness crap on EVERY topic...period...

at least this politician is standing up FOR SOMETHING...

Exactly. :ThmbUp:

hcap
12-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Actually, a congressman should know enough about his/her constituents to distinguish who should get what. If his staff can't figure it out they should ask Google.Makes sense.

To all those who do no like to hear Merry Christmas, I have two alternate words for you.

And I mean them sincerely.

Tom, why must you pick fights on Christmas day? :lol:

/yAz9z4T54tE?

The Judge
12-25-2013, 02:55 PM
This has nothing to do with Political Correctness or anything else. This guy is a congressman he knows what he is doing. First he speaks of "unity" then he puts in a "our" savior Jesus Christ and sends it out willy-nilly to everyone. Of course he could put "my" savior Jesus Christ but he want's that US vs. THEM message to get out, this Merry Christmas EVE.

It has nothing to do with Jesus's birth, unity or anything else, other then a politician using Jesus to his what he thinks is his advantage.

Ocala Mike
12-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks, all, and Merry Christmas (especially Tom). Kind of think The Judge (remember Laugh In - "Here comes the judge"?) might be on point here. It's all about re-election in 2014, and screw all the heathens, Jews, Muslims, and all because they're not voting for me anyway.

newtothegame
12-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Maybe it was just a mere oversight. You know like saying "57 states" or something like that......:rolleyes:

ArlJim78
12-25-2013, 08:01 PM
I agree with Ocala Mike, it's not appropriate. What he is thankful for and who he considers his savior to be is the congresspersons personal business. send those kinds of sentiments to people who you know personally.

Ocala Mike
12-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Maybe it was just a mere oversight. You know like saying "57 states" or something like that......:rolleyes:

Or like saying about the possibility of default, “I think, personally, it would bring stability to the world markets.”?

newtothegame
12-25-2013, 08:15 PM
There are numerous examples....that's the point. I am willing, ( since the left set the example with Obama), that maybe the gent just misspoke. :D

jdhanover
12-25-2013, 09:07 PM
I think it would need to be in the context of everything else this person has said/done....if he has been a person who has included people of other faith and generally not made this much of an issue, then this email not an issue. If that is not the case, then it is offensive (or at least very narrow-minded). As always, context and intent matter.

But many here prefer to throw stones first.....

thaskalos
12-25-2013, 11:14 PM
There are numerous examples....that's the point. I am willing, ( since the left set the example with Obama), that maybe the gent just misspoke. :D

To make a speaking mistake as you are standing there with a microphone in front of your face is one thing. To do something like this, which obviously took some sort of forethought, is something else entirely.

The congressman could have easily removed the "savior" part...without compromising the intent of the message in the least.

newtothegame
12-25-2013, 11:23 PM
To make a speaking mistake as you are standing there with a microphone in front of your face is one thing. To do something like this, which obviously took some sort of forethought, is something else entirely.

The congressman could have easily removed the "savior" part...without compromising the intent of the message in the least.
Yeah, youre right thask. Now gee, I wonder how many TelePrompTer snafu's ( as such have been made). Care to go there?
You see, Obama gets a pass for the same from the left and the right gets nailed for it.
Amazingly, no one has mentioned or commented on what I said in the duck dynasty thread either where a DEMOCRATIC politician called Arizona A Racist wasteland. Where is the left screaming about this?
You won't hear it.....but another apparent religious politician sends out a message...and let's talk about how he doesn't represent all of his constituents...lol.
I wonder if the democrat who called Arizona a racist wasteland represents his constituency with his comments?
Then again, has anyone looked at the constituency of this politician who Ocala mike is so upset about? I would imagine he is representing the majority of his constituency.

thaskalos
12-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah, youre right thask. Now gee, I wonder how many TelePrompTer snafu's ( as such have been made). Care to go there?
You see, Obama gets a pass for the same from the left and the right gets nailed for it.
Amazingly, no one has mentioned or commented on what I said in the duck dynasty thread either where a DEMOCRATIC politician called Arizona A Racist wasteland. Where is the left screaming about this?
You won't hear it.....but another apparent religious politician sends out a message...and let's talk about how he doesn't represent all of his constituents...lol.
I wonder if the democrat who called Arizona a racist wasteland represents his constituency with his comments?
Then again, has anyone looked at the constituency of this politician who Ocala mike is so upset about? I would imagine he is representing the majority of his constituency.

I don't see Ocala Mike being even NEARLY as "upset" as YOU seem to be.

There is no "screaming" here that I can see; just the pointing out of an obvious blunder by a politician who should have known better.

Political affiliation has nothing to do with it. I would have called this dumb, no matter WHO it was that committed it.

newtothegame
12-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I don't see Ocala Mike being even NEARLY as "upset" as YOU seem to be.

There is no "screaming" here that I can see; just the pointing out of an obvious blunder by a politician who should have known better.

Political affiliation has nothing to do with it. I would have called this dumb, no matter WHO it was that committed it.
So, as I mentioned, where is the left calling some of the other things I mentioned dumb?

newtothegame
12-25-2013, 11:41 PM
And you know " screaming" can be interpreted several ways ( especially on the internet). Obviously it was an issue or it wouldn't of been brought up.
If the politician sends out a message on Xmas day, did anyone expect him to talk about the Muslim faith?
By using the term "our" some here are suggesting that he should speak for ALL of his constituents. Shouldn't the same be said for Obama when he uses the term " we"?
He surely hasn't spoken on my behalf.... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
12-26-2013, 02:32 AM
I agree with Ocala Mike, it's not appropriate. What he is thankful for and who he considers his savior to be is the congresspersons personal business. send those kinds of sentiments to people who you know personally.Agree.

rastajenk
12-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I didn't get an e-mail from my Rep, but that's because I'm not on any donor lists, party activist rolls, or anything that would identify me as sympathetic to his bias. Did anyone else get an e-mail from their Rep just because you're in that district? Did Ocala Mike actually receive the offending missive?

My guess is that anyone on that mailing list is already sympathetic to the "rank-and-file" conservative's positions and wouldn't give "our savior" any more thought than they'd give a Christmas message in general. For some people, they can hardly think of Jesus without "our savior" as the modifier; who ever refers to Bede without Venerable, Vlad without Impaler, Jack Sparrow without Captain?

Shouldn't be a big deal, seems to me. "Move on." ;)

Robert Goren
12-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Of all the things congressmen do to rile the ire of their constituents, this has got to be pretty low the list. I would dare say most of them probably approved of the message.
It is threads like this that remind how unrepresentive this board of the public is. There is lot more of posters here who have never been in foxholes, as the saying goes, as percentage than in the general public and certainly a lot more who make point of letting other people know it.

Robert Goren
12-26-2013, 08:01 AM
There are numerous examples....that's the point. I am willing, ( since the left set the example with Obama), that maybe the gent just misspoke. :DThe gent did not mis speak. He knew exactly what he was saying. And I and, I am sure, most Americans don't have a problem with what he said.

PaceAdvantage
12-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Of all the things congressmen do to rile the ire of their constituents, this has got to be pretty low the list. I would dare say most of them probably approved of the message.
It is threads like this that remind how unrepresentive this board of the public is. There is lot more of posters here who have never been in foxholes, as the saying goes, as percentage than in the general public and certainly a lot more who make point of letting other people know it.What the heck are you babbling about now?

Are you actually saying that as a percentage of population, there is a higher percentage HERE who have NOT seen combat compared to the general public?

Oh man...I think you are SO WRONG on that little assumption. Just consider the average age here on this board. That alone tells you there is a higher percentage here who have seen combat compared to the general public.

Robert Goren
12-26-2013, 09:20 AM
What the heck are you babbling about now?

Are you actually saying that as a percentage of population, there is a higher percentage HERE who have NOT seen combat compared to the general public?

Oh man...I think you are SO WRONG on that little assumption. Just consider the average age here on this board. That alone tells you there is a higher percentage here who have seen combat compared to the general public. There is a old adage that goes something like this. "There are no atheists in foxholes" . It was a play on words based on that adage that I was I making. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

classhandicapper
12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Opinions? If you were a Jew, a Muslim, or an atheist, would you be offended to receive this in your e-mail?

I'd realize that the vast majority his constituency must be Christian, not be offended by their holiday, and either go back to sleep or deal with some other things in life that are actually important.

If I did feel offended, I'd probably try to figure out when and where the left screwed up my head and priorities.

Ocala Mike
12-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Did Ocala Mike actually receive the offending missive?

Yes, I did; I subscribe to his newsletter because he is my representative. I was gerrymandered into his district in 2010 when they redrew the lines. I am not on his donor list or even one of his supporters, but I receive a "missive" from him every once in a while in which he solicits feedback, and I always provide same (politely, of course), as I did this time.

Now, on to things that are actually important in life as suggested by classhandicapper, namely the nice card at Santa Anita today.

Tom
12-26-2013, 03:29 PM
If I did feel offended, I'd probably try to figure out when and where the left screwed up my head and priorities.

Bingo Bango!
If you are upset by someone wishing you good will, you are far too sick and demented to have any, or deserve any.

Next time a lefty sneezes in front of me, I will react appropriately - smack him in the nose! :D

jballscalls
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Bingo Bango!
If you are upset by someone wishing you good will, you are far too sick and demented to have any, or deserve any.

Next time a lefty sneezes in front of me, I will react appropriately - smack him in the nose! :D

The excerpt provided didn't provide a wishing of good will, it provided an encouragement on how to reflect and celebrate the holiday.

badcompany
12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
As a politician, you don't want to make sweeping generalizations, in this case that everyone accepts Christ as their savior. They can come back to bite you.

An example is John Kerry saying that people join the military because it's their best opportunity. He was right, in MANY cases, but not ALL cases. Leaving out a one word qualifier, many or some, got him in trouble.

jballscalls
12-26-2013, 04:32 PM
As a politician, you don't want to make sweeping generalizations, in this case that everyone accepts Christ as their savior. They can come back to bite you.

An example is John Kerry saying that people join the military because it's their best opportunity. He was right, in MANY cases, but not ALL cases. Leaving out a one word qualifier, many or some, got him in trouble.

I agree. Similar to when Obama said "You can keep your insurance" If he would have just added "maybe" after "You" he'd have been all good :)