PDA

View Full Version : Shall the south rise again?

DJofSD
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/south-carolina-set-block-implementation-obamacare
(CNSNews.com) – In January, when key provisions of the Affordable Care Act go into effect, South Carolina’s Republican-led state Senate is scheduled to vote on fast-tracked legislation that would prohibit all state agencies, public officials and state employees from implementing the federal health care law.

Republican Gov. Nikki Haley, who has been a vocal opponent of Obamacare, is expected to sign the South Carolina Freedom of Health Care Protection Act (H 3101), which could become a model for other states.

I say go for it.

Teach
12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
DJofSD,

As a former history teacher, this reminds me of the states-rights struggle that was associated with South Carolina in the early part of the 19th century. In those days, it was the issue of the tariff that riled South Carolinians. South Carolinians were protesting that the federal government had no right to pass such a high tariff. They called the tariff, "The Tariff of Abominations". The state threatened secession over the issue. South Carolina would, in fact, be the first state to secede from the Union in 1860. The President of the U.S. when this all started was Andrew Jackson. He threatened to hang the first secessionist that he could lay his hands on. I recall that he said he would hang that person "as high as Haman." John C. Calhoun resigned his position as Vice-President to champion the cause of nullification. In the end, a compromise tariff settled the issue.

Let's Roll
12-24-2013, 12:55 PM
DJofSD,

As a former history teacher, this reminds me of the states-rights struggle that was associated with South Carolina in the early part of the 19th century. In those days, it was the issue of the tariff that riled South Carolinians. South Carolinians were protesting that the federal government had no right to pass such a high tariff. They called the tariff, "The Tariff of Abominations". The state threatened secession over the issue. South Carolina would, in fact, be the first state to secede from the Union in 1860. The President of the U.S. when this all started was Andrew Jackson. He threatened to hang the first secessionist that he could lay his hands on. I recall that he said he would hang that person "as high as Haman." John C. Calhoun resigned his position as Vice-President to champion the cause of nullification. In the end, a compromise tariff settled the issue.
I happen to be reading "American Lion:Andrew Jackson in the White House ".
At this time I'm at the point where President Jackson is dealing with this developing situation. I'm interested to see how this present day situation gets resolved.

Ocala Mike
12-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Whatever happened to "forming a more perfect union"?

DJofSD
12-24-2013, 03:08 PM
That's what they're doing.

Tom
12-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Trying to stop El Presidente from ignoring the laws and the constitution WILL form a more perfect union - not a lawless banana republic that Obama has turned this country into.

Go for it....we need a GD good constitutional crisis.

dartman51
12-24-2013, 05:58 PM
DJofSD,

And Obama care could be called "The Tariff of Obamanation." :ThmbUp:

TJDave
12-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Southerners either have short memories or they don't teach American history down there.

Tom
12-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I think the North would be pushing its luck.