PDA

View Full Version : buying ammunition

highnote
12-23-2013, 12:22 AM
How do you get licensed to buy ammo?

I was talking to a friend in Ohio and he said it is hard to buy 22 caliber bullets. As soon as Wal-Mart gets some in they sell out right away. Normally they go for around $18 per box, but gun shops sell them for as much as $80 per box.

So when I was out shopping I decided to stop in at Wal-Mart here in Connecticut. They had 4 boxes of 333 rounds at $18 each. I called up my friend and told him they had plenty of ammo. He said he would be interested to know when they arrived. He was pretty sure they must have just got them in.

I asked the clerk and he said they just go the shipment a couple hours ago and that they sell out quickly.

So I told the clerk I wanted to buy all 4 boxes. I went to pay for them and he asked to see my license.

Well, I don't have a license because I didn't know you needed a license. Hell, when I was a kid I used to buy them myself at the local newsstand.

The clerk said that a law had been passed last October that a license is needed to buy ammo.

So now I'm wondering how does one go about getting licensed.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-23-2013, 12:29 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/30/connecticut-law-requiring-ammunition-certificate-to-purchase-ammunition-and-magazines-takes-effect-october-1/

Most states just require being a certain age like 16 for shotgun shells, 21 for handgun ammo. Pity you live in Conn....

highnote
12-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the link. I knew there had to be a f***ing fee involved. $35 for the license and it has to be renewed every 5 years. What a bunch of horsehhit.

Can a resident of one state that requires licensing to buy ammo buy ammo in a different state that does not require licensing?

What is to stop a CT resident from going to some other state and buying it?

Hell, what is to stop a CT resident from buying it from someone else -- or getting it as a gift?

Dumb laws that do no good.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-23-2013, 12:47 AM
That's a couple of good questions. I can tell you that when I lived in Illinois, a FOID card was needed to buy ammo, but a non-resident could purchase ammo legally as long as it was legal for them to do so in their home state.

So, as a resident of Conn, in theory you're hosed - buying ammo out-of-state is like buying online - that goofy permit would be required.

That's not to say some hardware store in Vermont won't check your credentials when trying to buy a box of .22 rounds...

highnote
12-23-2013, 12:57 AM
In the TV "Sons of Anarchy" the motorcycle club buys ammo that Indians made on their reservation.

One by-product of these dumb knee-jerk reaction laws is that a black market for ammo will be created.

That's a couple of good questions. I can tell you that when I lived in Illinois, a FOID card was needed to buy ammo, but a non-resident could purchase ammo legally as long as it was legal for them to do so in their home state.

So, as a resident of Conn, in theory you're hosed - buying ammo out-of-state is like buying online - that goofy permit would be required.

That's not to say some hardware store in Vermont won't check your credentials when trying to buy a box of .22 rounds...

Dave Schwartz
12-23-2013, 01:01 AM
I have not purchased ammunition in almost a year, but never been asked for anything - not even ID.

Guns are a different story, of course. And I am okay with that.

I will check on the laws in NV and report back.

Clocker
12-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Can a resident of one state that requires licensing to buy ammo buy ammo in a different state that does not require licensing?

I have lived in a number of states in the midwest, and have never been asked for any kind of permit, license, or ID to buy ammo. Some places do require proof of age if you appear to be under the legal limit, usually in the 18-21 y.o. range.

TJDave
12-23-2013, 01:19 AM
So now I'm wondering how does one go about getting licensed.

If you are a Connecticut resident and have a gun permit you don't need an additional license to purchase ammunition.

highnote
12-23-2013, 01:20 AM
I have not purchased ammunition in almost a year, but never been asked for anything - not even ID.

Guns are a different story, of course. And I am okay with that.

I will check on the laws in NV and report back.

I am not opposed to the state requiring a license to buy ammo. I am opposed to having to pay a $35 license fee (tax).

highnote
12-23-2013, 01:27 AM
If you are a Connecticut resident and have a gun permit you don't need an additional license to purchase ammunition.

That makes sense, but the problem with new laws is that they don't cover every scenario.

What if a person has owned a gun for 50 years? They're not going to have a license for that gun, but now they have to go out and obtain a license to buy ammo for it.

If a person hasn't needed a license to buy ammo for the past 50 years then why do they need one now?

These knee-jerk laws just create black markets.

TJDave
12-23-2013, 02:14 AM
What if a person has owned a gun for 50 years? They're not going to have a license for that gun, but now they have to go out and obtain a license to buy ammo for it.

If a person hasn't needed a license to buy ammo for the past 50 years then why do they need one now?

I'd assume that when Connecticut passed their gun laws they required all citizens who owned guns to get permits. Also that Connecticut could question why someone who wasn't a gun owner would want to buy ammunition.

Understand, I'm not particularly pleased. As a gun owner, shooter and reloader my concern is about the future availibility of guns, ammo and supplies. It's why I've gone to great lengths to stock up. OTOH, the citizens of the Constitution State can decide what's in their best interest, as well.

spicytomato
12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
no license needed in VA

however, all walmart have cease to carry ammo

many people buy daily and sell online

depending on the caliber and how many
can get a fair price :cool:

spicytomato
12-23-2013, 09:49 AM
PS

Hard as heck to find ammo here
even at higher prices

I do not need it

but was looking to do the same as above

Robert Goren
12-23-2013, 09:56 AM
The great thing about bullets is with a little work you can learn to make your own or at least reload your own.

Robert Goren
12-23-2013, 09:58 AM
That makes sense, but the problem with new laws is that they don't cover every scenario.

These knee-jerk laws just create black markets.Some black markets are easier for the government to at least partly control than others.

Grits
12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
An observation.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry, yet maybe...just maybe in some remote way... this has something to do with making it just a little more difficult for a kid, or an adult, to walk into an elementary school and kill 26 children and adults.

If the inconvenience, hinders the movements of just one person so that one may not die at the hands of another, we can't live with this?

Whether you like it or not, its less of a problem for you than it has been for the parents and family members of those 26.

Your rights have not been violated, their entire lives were.

Clocker
12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
...this has something to do with making it just a little more difficult for a kid, or an adult, to walk into an elementary school and kill 26 children and adults.

Nonsense.

The shooting you are talking about happened in Connecticut. The OP is about how hard it is to purchase ammo in Connecticut. Connecticut has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. Nothing the shooter did to obtain weapons or ammo violated any of those laws. The shooting did not occur because of lack of enough gun control laws. It happened because of a failure in mental health care.

And speaking of mental health, it is said that a symptom of insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different outcome. The liberal mantra is that gun control laws aren't working, therefore we need more gun control laws. Insanity in action. None of the new gun control laws proposed after Newtown would have prevented the shooting had they been in effect at the time. But they would have given a bunch of liberals a warm and fuzzy feeling about their accomplishments.

Robert Goren
12-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Nonsense.

The shooting you are talking about happened in Connecticut. The OP is about how hard it is to purchase ammo in Connecticut. Connecticut has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. Nothing the shooter did to obtain weapons or ammo violated any of those laws. The shooting did not occur because of lack of enough gun control laws. It happened because of a failure in mental health care.

And speaking of mental health, it is said that a symptom of insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different outcome. The liberal mantra is that gun control laws aren't working, therefore we need more gun control laws. Insanity in action. None of the new gun control laws proposed after Newtown would have prevented the shooting had they been in effect at the time. But they would have given a bunch of liberals a warm and fuzzy feeling about their accomplishments.The shooting in Connecticut occurred because a gun nut actually encouraged her crazy son to shoot. She paid for it with her life. 25 others also paid. I have yet to hear from any other gun nut how this could have been prevented except some silly idea about arming teachers. Any attempt to keep guns away from the mental ill has been meet by strong resistance from the NRA and other gun groups. After a shooting the NRA says few carefully chosen words about the mental ill, but when it comes time to put something into law they are opposed. They think the status quo is acceptable. That is the bottom line.

Grits
12-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Clocker, though, simply an observation, my post wasn't nonsense.

Not all that commit murders are mentally ill. Some are simply mean, meaner than rabid dogs. There's good and there's evil.

Tom
12-23-2013, 02:44 PM
All the more reason to have guns.
Evil only understands force.
You kill evil. Period.

highnote
12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
The OP is about how hard it is to purchase ammo in Connecticut. Connecticut has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.

It is also ironic that the state of Connecticut is probably one of the leaders in the manufacturing of firearms.

I wasn't able to find any stats, but one query produced a result that said NY, CT, N and S Carolina produce the most.

You would think that a state that produces so many guns would want their citizens to buy them in an effort to keep employment up.

Grits
12-23-2013, 04:03 PM
All the more reason to have guns.
Evil only understands force.
You kill evil. Period.

Tom, I understand force. Honestly, I do. Mean individuals, you're right understand only one kind of force.

I was a victim decades ago at only age 16. Asked by detectives to aid them as a decoy to lure him out again, this resulted in his arrest. Charges were filed by my parents. I sat on the witness stand, where my testimony locked him away for two years in a juvenile detention center.

Guns are necessary for our protection; I own two. The former spouse and my two brothers saw to it that I became excellent with both. I'm neither a vehement right to bear, or a liberal wuss who sees no good in firearms. I do believe in precaution, I have to be safe and live for my son.

Still, I don't see the need to stockpile weapons and ammunition when one shot, or if necessary, emptying the clip, will eliminate one's problem.

My heart broke for the families of Sandy Hook. This Christmas, as a mother, it still does. :(

MONEY
12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
The problem with gun control laws is that they only affect law abiding people & eventually will all lead to confiscation.

In the wake of New York’s latest gun control law, the New York Police Department is now sending out notices to registered gun owners demanding that they give up their firearms, clear proof that gun registration leads to outright confiscations.

http://www.infowars.com/proof-gun-registration-leads-to-confiscation/

If anyone needs ammo you can go to,

http://www.gunbroker.com/

Just make sure that you don't bid too high & that the shipping costs are reasonable. I am not affiliated in any way with the gunbroker.com

highnote
12-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Just make sure that you don't bid too high & that the shipping costs are reasonable. I am not affiliated in any way with the gunbroker.com

22 caliber costs about double what walmart charges, but this is still a good site to know about.

Tape Reader
12-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I live near the CT tragedy. Some things that I have heard that were omitted in the press are: The shooter first visited another school but turned away because a police car was in the parking lot. (Fits the profile of a coward.)

The press claimed that his damaged computer was unreadable. Not so. A year later they find, among others, “Grand Theft Auto” was his “addition.”!!!

Wake up America: Sue Hollywood, save the world.

PS. In a school in the area the other day, a tray was dropped in the lunch room. All students hit the ground. So sad, and they give Academy awards to these low life’s.

Clocker
12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Shipping costs for ammo are rarely reasonable. USPS won't handle it, and I don't think FedEx will. I know UPS ships it, but it has to be specially labeled, and it isn't cheap.

Here is a site that lists retailers that have ammo in stock: GUNBOT (http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/)

If buying on line, try to buy from a chain like Cabelas or Gander Mtn that have a store near you. They will usually ship free to the store and you pick it up there.

Robert Goren
12-23-2013, 08:48 PM
The problem with gun control laws is that they only affect law abiding people & eventually will all lead to confiscation.

http://www.infowars.com/proof-gun-registration-leads-to-confiscation/

Just make sure that you don't bid too high & that the shipping costs are reasonable. I am not affiliated in any way with the gunbroker.comThat is not true. Every illegal possessed gun started out as a legal gun. While it true the gangster have no problem getting guns, the first time criminal doesn't always know where to go get a gun illegally. People like the Colorado theater shooter might have had problem trying to find illegal guns. Of course he didn't have to look at getting them illegally. He had no problem getting them legally.

highnote
12-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the link. They want $19.19 for 50 rounds of 22 longs.

Walmart has 330 rounds for $17.67. They are six times higher than walmart.

I found another link:

http://gooseislandsales.com/product/winchester-22lr-36-grain-hpcp-333-rounds/

There prices are 3 times as high as walmart.

Now you can see why I wanted to buy all 4 boxes at walmart! Too bad a license is required in CT.

Shipping costs for ammo are rarely reasonable. USPS won't handle it, and I don't think FedEx will. I know UPS ships it, but it has to be specially labeled, and it isn't cheap.

Here is a site that lists retailers that have ammo in stock: GUNBOT (http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/)

If buying on line, try to buy from a chain like Cabelas or Gander Mtn that have a store near you. They will usually ship free to the store and you pick it up there.

highnote
12-23-2013, 09:08 PM
How many people have played "Grand Theft Auto" and not killed anybody?

How many people have purchased Bushmaster rifles and not killed anybody?

The Newtown shooter used a Bushmaster. Should Bushmaster be put out of business?

I also live not too far from Newtown. My kids played sports there about a week after the shootings. It was very sad.

The doors to the schools in my town were locked after school and on weekends. We had basketball practice in the evenings and had to wait until a custodian opened up the door. They would not leave them unlocked and we had to have a parent stand at the door until all the kids had arrived. Even on weekends the doors were locked and a custodian would stand at the door all day to let people in to the youth basketball games.

It was a dumb policy. A year later it is no longer the policy.

Again -- these knee jerk reactions happen because it makes people feel good, not because it actually does any good. There was a lot of uncertainty after Newtown, so the school administrators and politicians decreed that all the doors should be locked. This would not really stop anyone from being shot, but at least the administrators who really had no control over a shooter would feel like they had some control.

No one knows what caused the kid from Newtown to shoot children. We do know that he had a severe mental illness.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER allow mentally ill people to have access to weapons.

If the U.S. had better mental institutions the Newtown shooter probably would have been living in one and getting the care and medical attention he needed.

The irony is that Newtown used to have a mental hospital called Fairfield Hills that housed 4,000 patients, but was closed in 1995.

Now it is a recreation center. My kids have played many games of soccer and basketball there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfield_State_Hospital

I live near the CT tragedy. Some things that I have heard that were omitted in the press are: The shooter first visited another school but turned away because a police car was in the parking lot. (Fits the profile of a coward.)

The press claimed that his damaged computer was unreadable. Not so. A year later they find, among others, “Grand Theft Auto” was his “addition.”!!!

Wake up America: Sue Hollywood, save the world.

PS. In a school in the area the other day, a tray was dropped in the lunch room. All students hit the ground. So sad, and they give Academy awards to these low life’s.