PDA

View Full Version : UK Selections - 29 March 2004

backandlay
03-29-2004, 07:53 AM
29 March 2004 - Newcastle

2.10 Race 1 - No3 Kristikhab (3.0% at 1.80+ for the place)
This is a race full of 1st starting 2yo's with nothing of overly noted breeding. Very hard to dismiss the chances of Kristikhab by 2nd season sire son of Red Ransom, Intikhab (Red Ransom * out of a Crafty Prospector mare). Well bred by as said Intikhab out of a Kris mare and is 4th foal, half-brother to 10f 3yo winner Khoza'ah (by Darshaan) and a 2yo winner in Italy by Green Desert; dam unplaced at 3, half-sister to Group 1-placed 2yo Asakir. Trainer form is good with 1st starters and this particular sire went off with his 1st season stock last season in 2003 with 17 wins from 85 starts total for a 20% win strike rate on turf and even better on all weather. Quoted as 7/1 2nd favourite in Prepost markets and represents good value for mine here. The query also is not the likely favourite Stanbury for mine (good laying material) but Word Perfect by 1st season sire Diktat (a son of Warning out of a Sadler's Wells mare).

2.40 Race 2 - No2 Pawan (4.0% at 1.80+ for the place)
This is a a race full of average types for mine and have decided to go with the lightly raced improver Pawan here resuming from a spell having 5th career start. Is a maiden still up against winners but that is no concern. Well bred by Cadaeux Genereux out of an Adjal mare and is 6th foal, half-brother to smart 5-6f 2yo Sailing Shoes, fair winners Hot Trotter (7f at 2) and Tarbaan (10f at 3), and a dual 7f 3yo winner in Italy by Nashwan, dam 6f 2yo winner, out of smart 5-6f 2yo Haneena. Go on big efforts at 2nd and 4th starts last prep when finished 2nd on both occasions including last start 2nd Redcar 6f 6K maiden when beaten 0.7l by Oysterbed. Repeat of either of those 2 efforts should see it hard to hold out here.

3.40 Race 4 - No4 Danny Leahy (2.0% at 2.50+ for the place)
Hard to dismiss the chances of the Danehill youngster Danny Leahy here despite the big quote of 25/1 PP. Will get under the guard of most and represents excellent value here considering the height of confidence in selecting it. Well bred 4yo gelding of French origin by Danehill out of an Alzao mare and is 2nd up now ready to produce at peak of fitness for mine. Ran 8l 3rd of 15 in 5K class D maiden company at Doncaster in March 2003 to San Antonio at 1st career start which seems very good form for a race of this quality. Last 3 starts have been Ok over hurdles all this year spaced appropriately for today's assignment. Should get a good trip in transit and prove right in the mix over today's 2m test. Worth the punt at the odds and definitely good value here.
29 March 2004 - Lingfield
4.00 Race 5 - No6 Foot Fault (2.0% at 1.90+ for the place)
Decided to go with Foot Fault here in this ultra weak affair. Well bred for this by Danehill out of a Nashwan mare and is 2nd foal; very closely related to 3yo Tease, placed over 6-8f at 2 and winner over 7f at 3; dam dual middle-distance winner in France, out of half-sister to high-class 10f+ fillies Braiswick and Percy's Lass. 3rd up now and peak of fitness on back of last start 1l 4th against stronger with 8l back to 5th that day indicating the slight depth of class in that race for today's assignment. Is relatively lightly raced and with bottom weight rates a huge chance here. 2l 4th 5 back at this track in 5K company also tends to give a good idea of up side for today's assignment. Worth the punt for mine and will give a big show at the 3/1PP 3rd fav quote in this 6 horse field.

4.30 Race 6 - No5 Only A Handful (2.0% at 2.50+ for the place)
A race full of relatively weak types for this class of race. Decided to lean towards the 1st starter only a handful. Gets in well at the weights after the claim, well bred by a son of Fairy King in Victory Note out of a Shirley Heights mare and is 6th foal; half-brother to 3 winners, including quite useful 2yo Linden Heights; dam unraced at 2 and placed over 8-9f at 3, out of half-sister to Irish Oaks winner Give Thanks from family of Imperial Dancer. Good value PP at 10/1 in this weak race. Definitely worth the punt for mine at the price with relative hidden upside. Should drift in the market with the hidden upside aspect and could get to 3/1 or 7/2 for the place with luck or even better.