PDA

View Full Version : Where are Democrat U.S. Senators vulnerable in 2014?

Teach
12-21-2013, 04:11 PM
As you may know, 1/3rd of the Senate is up for re-election every two years.
Many on this board, in their 2014 yearly prediction, believe the Republicans will hold onto the House of Reprtesentatives and take control of the Senate.

Which Democrats are vulnerable?

Let's go alphabetically.

Alaska: Democrat Mark Begich up for re-election after narrowly defeating Ted Stevens in 2008 (that despite all of Stevens' problems). This seat could switch over to the Republican side.

Louisiana: Democrat Mary Landrieu is up for re-election. Some say she may be vulnerable. I'm calling that contest a tossup.

Michigan: Carl Levin retired. I believe it's Gary Peters (D) vs. Terri Lynn Land (R). Michigan used to be a solid blue-collar, union-oriented state. But the UAW is a shell of itself and Detroit is bankrupt. I see a distinct chance for the Republicans in The Wolverine state.

Minnesota: Al Franken, the SNL man, narrowly defeated Norm Coleman (the election/recount seemed to drag on for months). No Norm Coleman; yet there are many, including myself, who feel Franken is vulnerable.

Montana: Max Baucus has retired. A golden opportunity to get a Republican Senator from that state.

New Hampshire: Jeanne Shaheen up for re-election. Last time she defeated John Sununu. No John Sununu this time but the "Live Free or Die" state could elect a second Republican Senator alongside Kelly Ayotte.

North Carolina: Kay Hagan is up for re-election. This could be a tossup. I don't know the Republican candidates, but the "Tar Heel" state has been developing a different demographic that leans toward the Democrats. Many Northern transplants.

Oregon: Democrat Senator Jeff Merkley could be vulnerable; yet, "THe Beaver State" tends to vote Democratic, at least in presidential elections.

Unless I've missed something, those are the key eight (8) states. Are any of the Republican Senatorial candidates vulnerable? I think a lot will depend on both on Obama's popularity ratings and the status of Obamacare.

Any thoughts?

Clocker
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I think a lot will depend on both on Obama's popularity ratings and the status of Obamacare.

Any thoughts?

The Dems in the Senate, especially those up for reelection, are distancing themselves from Obama, and will be moving away farther as we get closer to the elections. Their success at the polls will depend on how well they separate themselves.

It is escalating already. Senate Dems are working on passing stricter sanctions against Iran, which Obama strongly opposes. Obama called them out on it, and accused them of being political and concerned only with reelection.

We have only seen the tip of the iceberg called ObamaCare. The big train wreck will occur in the fall of 2014. That's when the insurance company rate increases for 2015 will be revealed. And that's when the insurance companies will give employers notice of the cancellation of "unqualified" plans, and tell what the "qualified" plans will look like. All the screaming about not being able to keep your plan and about rate increases over the last few months was only reflective of the private market, about 5% of the population. Next fall we see the same thing for the employer-provided market, about 85% of the population.

By next October, the entire Democratic Party is going to wish they could do what Obama just did: get out of town.