PDA

View Full Version : Palace. Gravesend Hcp.

Stillriledup
12-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Not sure what that was all about, the ride i mean.

SharpCat
12-22-2013, 01:04 AM

I'm not sure what the hell C. Velasquez was thinking. Could have had the perfect trip. I guess he thought taking back to last and going 4 wide all the way around was good idea. Maybe Andy Serling will call him out on this ride.

Stillriledup
12-22-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm not sure what the hell C. Velasquez was thinking. Could have had the perfect trip. I guess he thought taking back to last and going 4 wide all the way around was good idea. Maybe Andy Serling will call him out on this ride.

he broke out ahead of the main rival with his entrymate as a "pic" and somehow wrangled back a 104 Beyer sprinter from a red hot barn way back like he was riding a mile and a quarter race.....speed looked very strong, not sure why there was a need to go so slow early, he broke running, take the bull by the horns and be agressive with a legit odds on horse.

Funny how NY couples horses and this race, the two linda Rice's werent coupled, maybe he thought he was doing her a favor by not battling the other entrymate, but that horse was a big longshot, this is why coupling entries is a joke, this race was not coupled and one horse was ridden as if it WAS an "entry".

SharpCat
12-22-2013, 02:39 AM
he broke out ahead of the main rival with his entrymate as a "pic" and somehow wrangled back a 104 Beyer sprinter from a red hot barn way back like he was riding a mile and a quarter race.....speed looked very strong, not sure why there was a need to go so slow early, he broke running, take the bull by the horns and be agressive with a legit odds on horse.

Funny how NY couples horses and this race, the two linda Rice's werent coupled, maybe he thought he was doing her a favor by not battling the other entrymate, but that horse was a big longshot, this is why coupling entries is a joke, this race was not coupled and one horse was ridden as if it WAS an "entry".

Agreed. If I was the owner i'd be pissed. No doubt I would be talking to the trainer and jockey and saying wtf was that. If that was the planned strategy I would give them both the boot.

Stillriledup
12-22-2013, 03:14 AM
Agreed. If I was the owner i'd be pissed. No doubt I would be talking to the trainer and jockey and saying wtf was that. If that was the planned strategy I would give them both the boot.

It might have come down to the guy had a plan of the 4 getting the lead with the 5 battling him and the Palace sitting a snug 3rd behind the battle...but when the other horse "rated" and he found himself out in 2nd with the barnmate on the lead, he wasnt able to make a split second decision and just go on with it.

Didnt have a clock in his head to know he was strangling behind a 23 and change on a speed track in a race that planed on going sub 110.

Robert Goren
12-22-2013, 06:32 AM
The track yesterday was not kind to horses that were not close to the pace. I don't know what anyone expects the jockey to do on a closing horse that is racing on a track that hampers that style. Although Palace shows some success as a front runner/presser in ALW/optional claimers, he became a different horse when they changed his running style last summer. His last three stakes wins all came as closer. His last race, a grade 3 stakes win came on a track that greatly favored that closer style. Bettors who ignore track biases and running styles are doomed to be continually cursing jockeys for they consider bad rides.

cj
12-22-2013, 12:15 PM
The 28th greatly favored closers? Seriously, that is kind of comical. You may want to consult the charts and replays again.

Stillriledup
12-22-2013, 02:47 PM
The track yesterday was not kind to horses that were not close to the pace. I don't know what anyone expects the jockey to do on a closing horse that is racing on a track that hampers that style. Although Palace shows some success as a front runner/presser in ALW/optional claimers, he became a different horse when they changed his running style last summer. His last three stakes wins all came as closer. His last race, a grade 3 stakes win came on a track that greatly favored that closer style. Bettors who ignore track biases and running styles are doomed to be continually cursing jockeys for they consider bad rides.

This horse is a "closer" by design, which means if he needed to be able to go a 23 flat quarter to get the lead, he could. The horse was "into stride" in the first jumps, the jock could have niggled to him and got him on the muscle and went to the lead, but he grabbed this horse like he was riding a marathon race. This is a horse by City Zip with a very quick hitch action, he's not a 9 year old by Dnyaformer out of a Stop the Music mare, he has the speed, the jock just chose not to use it.

Stillriledup
06-06-2014, 05:32 PM

First time "Cornelio off" pays dividends.
:ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
10-13-2014, 11:22 PM
First time "Cornelio off" pays dividends.
:ThmbUp:

This thread brings back memories. I blew a gasket watching Cornelio clutching defeat (with a handful of his STUPID hands) from the jaws of victory. I cursed and moaned so loud, that the windows at Aqueduct cracked.

Anyway, after my rant, a stupid brain dead a hole yells at me and says I'm psycho for thinking Cornelio did anything wrong in that race. If there wasn't a god, I would've choked him for being so stupid and ignorant.

Anyway, thanks for that memory! Reminds me how utterly stupid many horseplayers truly are.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Déjà Vu all over again lol

This is a funny game, Palace gets 9 lbs off his back and isn't close to Green G today,

Tom
12-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Looked more like a coronation than a race.
A 5% trainer gets this horse and turns him around.
Yeah, right.

camourous
12-26-2015, 04:25 PM
The ride by Franco on the 5 was far far worse.

cj
12-26-2015, 04:29 PM

I don't know if it would have mattered, but what exactly was his plan? Don't these guys ever have a strategy that doesn't involve just grab and pray?

Tom
12-26-2015, 04:33 PM
On the bright side, Race 9, CJ's Awesome!~ wins. top early horse, best dirt figs in 3 of the last 4.

A good ride at Aqueduct.....I'm, going out looking for Big Foot tonight. I feel lucky.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 05:17 PM

It was. Not critical of the ride by CV he just had no horse, the guy on the 5 was just in no mans land. Maybe they were all shocked that the 1 and the outside horse just handed the 2 the race, there was 'supposed to be' a 3 prong duel with the two chalks getting dream closing trips, not sure why the 1 wasnt on the lead.

cj
12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
It was. Not critical of the ride by CV he just had no horse, the guy on the 5 was just in no mans land. Maybe they were all shocked that the 1 and the outside horse just handed the 2 the race, there was 'supposed to be' a 3 prong duel with the two chalks getting dream closing trips, not sure why the 1 wasnt on the lead.

Handed it to him? I think it was more a case of couldn't keep it. GG ran VERY fast today.

andtheyreoff
12-26-2015, 07:46 PM

The 1 was on the lead for the first 1/8 of a mile. He just couldn't keep up with Green Gratto.

You can see it for yourself here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3DebpdqPs

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 07:55 PM
The 1 was on the lead for the first 1/8 of a mile. He just couldn't keep up with Green Gratto.

You can see it for yourself here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3DebpdqPs

Thanks for the vid, nice in HD.

The 1 could have gotten the lead if his life depended on staying there, he decided to let GG go, it wasnt like he was all out to hold position and GG was faster. Now, GG is a better horse and he's probably faster, but GG wasnt all out either, I think the 1 could have forced GG to go faster if he asked his horse to go faster, that's what I was trying to say.

EMD4ME
12-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the vid, nice in HD.

The 1 could have gotten the lead if his life depended on staying there, he decided to let GG go, it wasnt like he was all out to hold position and GG was faster. Now, GG is a better horse and he's probably faster, but GG wasnt all out either, I think the 1 could have forced GG to go faster if he asked his horse to go faster, that's what I was trying to say.

The 1 had 2 AL PADS ON Sat. Maybe that impacted things?

SuperPickle
12-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Green Gatto went 5 furlongs in 56.4. On that track! It's easily a 1-2 seconds slower than say Santa Anita. So that's somewhere around 55 and change out there.

He simply bottom out the field. No one was dueling him going that fast. I'm sure the figure came back HUGE.

Btw... I see as always a horse ran big so someone was quick to point out drugs because that's what we do here. First off this horse has run giant races/figures in the past. Second, he's done that for other 5% trainers.

Maybe, just maybe this horse is decent? It's not like the recent races came totally out of no where.

EMD4ME
12-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Green Gatto went 5 furlongs in 56.4. On that track! It's easily a 1-2 seconds slower than say Santa Anita. So that's somewhere around 55 and change out there.

He simply bottom out the field. No one was dueling him going that fast. I'm sure the figure came back HUGE.

Btw... I see as always a horse ran big so someone was quick to point out drugs because that's what we do here. First off this horse has run giant races/figures in the past. Second, he's done that for other 5% trainers.

Maybe, just maybe this horse is decent? It's not like the recent races came totally out of no where.

:ThmbUp: Gotta agree with ya Super Pickle.

If anyone of us owned GG, we would be as proud as a father is when his baby is born.

He's no Runhappy or AP but he is a damn honest running horse who CAN run the daylights out a pace foe AND keep going.

Sat, he ran in the 4 path (with the grain), he had a jock WHO LET HIM DO HIS THING, instead of choking and grabbing in choppy fashion, he took no prisoners and BURIED THEIR ***es.

All this for a NON SUPERTRAINER.