PDA

View Full Version : online poker

highnote
12-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Can U.S. citizens get an online poker account? If so, how do they fund it?

I used to have a couple different ones, but they all stopped taking US account holders.

Robert Goren
12-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Only on sites that limit its customers to one state and only if online poker is legal in that state. Several companies were working on setting it up in Nevada. I am not sure if it is up yet. I haven't heard about any other state, but maybe NJ is. There might be some off shore place that still does, but any with any action doesn't. I don't see much action on the federal level right now.

Bettowin
12-21-2013, 07:55 PM
I still use Bovada for poker and sports betting. Even a horse bet or two if I am travelling. Technically it's not legal but I have no trouble getting money out and checks cashed. I keep my balance at an amount where if they seized it my day wouldn't be ruined. Haven't funded for a long time but I think they will still take a credit card.

_______
12-22-2013, 02:13 AM
I still use Bovada for poker and sports betting. Even a horse bet or two if I am travelling. Technically it's not legal but I have no trouble getting money out and checks cashed. I keep my balance at an amount where if they seized it my day wouldn't be ruined. Haven't funded for a long time but I think they will still take a credit card.

Whats your ID? I'm #8 unless it's a multi table. Then I'm #73.

highnote
12-22-2013, 04:06 AM
It is easy to open an account with bovada. I have not funded an account, but it looks like it would be easy.

I played the free poker games. The interface was quick, but not very pretty.

The reviews are generally good.

However, there reviews claiming that the games are fixed and that statistically it is impossible to be dealt the hands that they were dealt if the games were on the up and up.

Guess I'll find out.

Robert Goren
12-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Playing poker at Bovada is like playing the ponies without past performances. I do even consider their games poker.

_______
12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Playing poker at Bovada is like playing the ponies without past performances. I do even consider their games poker.

Because of the inability to track players?

I understand that's an advantage that isn't available since they masked everyone but its no different than sitting down at a live table with strangers and learning tendency's on the fly.

My biggest fear with Bovada is there could be a repeat of Russ Hamilton and Ultimate Bet. But with no way to look at their play to determine they've played in a manner that only makes sense if they can see all the cards.

I don't know if there is cheating going on at Bovada. But I know you can't hope to find out based on tracking play.

Does anyone here post at 2+2?

highnote
12-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Not sure what you mean?

wiffleball whizz
12-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Because of the inability to track players?

I understand that's an advantage that isn't available since they masked everyone but its no different than sitting down at a live table with strangers and learning tendency's on the fly.

My biggest fear with Bovada is there could be a repeat of Russ Hamilton and Ultimate Bet. But with no way to look at their play to determine they've played in a manner that only makes sense if they can see all the cards.

I don't know if there is cheating going on at Bovada. But I know you can't hope to find out based on tracking play.

Does anyone here post at 2+2?

Yes do you?

I have seen the 2+2 version of________

I got banned for constantly blasting cheaters on there.......figure I'd rather get banned to keep integrity then keep my mouth shut

highnote
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Bovada says the best way to find an account is with a pre-paid VISA card that is meant for online and international purchases.

I looked at one store today, but the cards were for domestic purchases only and not for online use.

Can a pre-paid VISA card be purchased in the U.S. that allows you to pay for things online and internationally?

_______
12-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Bovada says the best way to find an account is with a pre-paid VISA card that is meant for online and international purchases.

I looked at one store today, but the cards were for domestic purchases only and not for online use.

Can a pre-paid VISA card be purchased in the U.S. that allows you to pay for things online and internationally?

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_travel_money.html

Click the "in person" link and put in your zip code. Be aware that Bovada will take 4.9% of the deposit as a fee and there is a flat fee (around $3.95) to buy the card from most retailers. When you cash out, it will be a deposit on the same debit card you used up to the amount you deposited. After that, they'll send you a check.

The Western Union option is a bit more of a hassle but Bovada credits you the entire deposit amount PLUS the fees Western Union will charge. All withdrawals are by check.

Your call.

highnote
12-23-2013, 12:52 AM
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_travel_money.html

Click the "in person" link and put in your zip code. Be aware that Bovada will take 4.9% of the deposit as a fee and there is a flat fee (around $3.95) to buy the card from most retailers.

Amazing how much bettors get soaked for funding these accounts.

Interesting, too, that online gambling is illegal, yet VISA is willing to let you use their cards to fund an online gambling site.

It seems like as long as the graft is being paid the US gov will look the other way.

_______
12-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Amazing how much bettors get soaked for funding these accounts.

Interesting, too, that online gambling is illegal, yet VISA is willing to let you use their cards to fund an online gambling site.

It seems like as long as the graft is being paid the US gov will look the other way.

Visa doesn't know what you're using the card for. The charge will come through as something innocuous. And you have the choice of getting soaked or not.

RunForTheRoses
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
I've been playing in New Jersey since it was legalized around Thanksgiving. Mainly just play at borgata site which is partypoker. Also signed up with Trop and betfair but haven't played much there.
One negative is you can only take money out by going to AC are far as I know. I put in $50 and playing a tourney or two ran it up to about $175. Was kinda broke and also thought it would be good to take out money just to not get sloppy,wanted to take out a $100 but they will take money out of your bank account but won't put in. Didn't feel like driving down and wasting gas money and tolls, etc. I think I'm around $100 now in the account.
The only cash games are Texas NL, starting at .01/.02 going up to i think $5/$10. I mainly play Tourneys, the start at .50 going up to $200 but that is once a week, I think, under daily situations $20 is main limit. There is a rare PLO tourney which I like to play but not many others do, hard to get a full table sometimes.