PDA

View Full Version : Racing on field turf?

wiffleball whizz
12-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Was wondering if this ever came into discussion

Please don't bury me here but I'm wTching this North Dakota st game (I won't give score incase cj is dvr-ing such as WVU MD) but would this be more safe or dangerous?

Would cut down on maintaince......if it is dangerous it can't be worse then the FG turf in a few months...

I'm just wondering if this ever came up

pondman
12-21-2013, 12:33 PM
A horse will feel the different types of turf. The crowns of Bermuda mat near the surface of the soil. Some would say it's less stable. While the crowns of cooler weather grasses mat higher in the plant. It's an important consideration when horses are shipped.

Fake grass probably wouldn't allow a horse to cup the surface or penetrate the carpet. And it would be difficult to repair.

illinoisbred
12-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Didn't Calder initially have something along these lines..the Tartan Turf Track?

senortout
12-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Didn't Calder initially have something along these lines..the Tartan Turf Track?

I do believe that 3m product was installed BENEATH THE DIRT SURFACE ITSELF.

wisconsin
12-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Tropical Park had it.

affirmedny
12-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I do believe that 3m product was installed BENEATH THE DIRT SURFACE ITSELF.

Calder had it when they first opened, the horsemen hated it so they covered it with sand. Years later it was removed entirely I'm pretty sure.