PDA

View Full Version : Richard Ten Broeck and William Minor

Irish Boy
12-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Bit of a longshot, but I'm looking for information on these two figures from mid-1800s horse racing. I think I've found everything there is to find about them but figure someone might know something here.

senortout
12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Broeck is easy but Minor not so much...here is a link to a Minor group and William is part way down the page.

http://mdah.state.ms.us/manuscripts/z1876.html

there is further information at the Yale library I believe, and I could dig up other references but am tired of the game by now. Minor was a northern man who held southern plantations and managed them through delegation, and raised enough sugar cane to become a millionaire. Was interested in the thoroughbred race horse as well.

Irish Boy
12-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Broeck is easy but Minor not so much...here is a link to a Minor group and William is part way down the page.

http://mdah.state.ms.us/manuscripts/z1876.html

there is further information at the Yale library I believe, and I could dig up other references but am tired of the game by now. Minor was a northern man who held southern plantations and managed them through delegation, and raised enough sugar cane to become a millionaire. Was interested in the thoroughbred race horse as well.
Thanks. Broeck is easy in certain respects but as far as I know, he did not leave behind any private papers, which is annoying. Minor's private papers are in Baton Rouge, and I hope to get down there eventually.

HUSKER55
12-15-2013, 08:34 PM
just a thought,

if you contact the library they might make a copy and email it to you. Some of the larger libraries have book copiers. There was one in CA that was going to charge me $.25 per page, double sided.

Sometimes when I am having a problem with math for example, I will contact the math center at USC. It has been awhile but the fee was $3 ?? last time I used it.

Call them up. Worst that can happen is they will say no.

Like I said, it has been awhile.