PDA

View Full Version : Biorhythms and Baseball

Teach
12-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I was hungry. I could almost taste the hash browns, sausage, eggs, toast and coffee, and oh yes, some fresh-squeezed orange juice. It was as I was walking toward the buffet that I noticed a man poring over some notes. He appeared so engrossed I had to find out what he was studying. As hungry as I was, I just had to stop to see what he was doing.

It was July, 1993. I was enjoying some "R & R" at John Ascuaga's Nugget in Reno NV, actually Sparks. Well, as I walked closer to this man, I became more and more intrigued as to just what he was doing. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so transfixed unless he/she were studying either The Daily Racing Form, or eyeing a Playboy Centerfold. I walked up to where the man was sitting. Moments later, I gently cleared my throat (as not to startle him) and then asked: "If I'm not being rude, you seem so involved in your task, what you're doing?" He then said one word: "biorhythms". "Biorythms," I repeated. "Yes," the man repeated, "Biorhythms."

It was then that our conversation took on meaning. The man went on to tell me that he uses biorhythms to bet baseball games. I frankly was taken aback. I must admit I knew little about biorhythms except for having heard people talk about them.

It was then that the man went into greater detail. His thesis or theory was that pitching was 90% of the game (hadn't former Baltimore Orioles manager Paul Richards said that same thing years earlier).

Well, the man continued saying that he focuses on pitching when betting on baseball. OK, I thought, so far, so good. He then went on to tell me how he uses biorhythms. He said that he looks up the birth date of every pitcher who's pitching that day. He then proceeds (he had this booklet and a series of notes) to see what a particular pitcher's biorhythms chart is for that day.

Moments later, the man started talking about "physical days" and "emotional days" and how we go through "highs" and "lows" in our lives depending on "cycles". I remember telling the guy that "he had lost me." I then asked, "What does all this have to do with betting on baseball?"

Well, as the man continued, he repeated that he first checks out pitchers' birth dates. Based on that information, he draws up his "biorhythms charts". He said he's looking for a pitcher who is going through a "low energy" cycle. He mentioned words like stamina, lack of pep, easily fatigues, etc. He then said that based on the charts, he picks out one or two games that he believes are good bets based on the fact that a particular pitcher was in the midst of this "low energy" cycle. The man then told me that, in that case, he would bet the opposing team. He then said that he was "working out his charts" when I had spotted him. I then asked," Who do you like?" I recall that he said, "It's early, but it looks like the Twins' Kevin Tapani is vulnerable today against the Tigers." He then added, "His cycle is going through a trough." With that, my hunger pangs had gotten the best of me and I left the man to continue with his biorhythms study.

As for the breakfast that morning, it was excellent. As for how Kevin Tapani did that day against the Detroit Tigers on July 21, 1993. He went 6-plus innings giving up two runs. He earned the win in the Minnesota victory, 7-2.

horses4courses
12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I'd book all that action........ :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
12-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Biorhythm handicapping loses its effectiveness when the handicapper is disturbed and distracted by nosy onlookers. :)

railbird
12-14-2013, 11:58 PM
I tried the biorhythm thing with base ball in the 80's and had unusually pretty good results . Actually I am for the most part very skeptical of all voodoo but I have to admit this stuff had me intrigued .One winning streak was topped off when a St Louis Cardinal pitcher had triple high that night almost pitched a perfect game , came away with a one hitter .If nothing else it was fun to do.