PDA

View Full Version : Snow storm rolling in

Tom
12-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Just got back from Walmart - needed gas and Sta-bil for my snow blower,
And some beer for me.

Getting dicey on the roads and it is coming down harder by the hour.
Looks like a lot of digging out on the agenda for Sunday morning.

thaskalos
12-14-2013, 08:03 PM
The snow wouldn't bother me much, if it wasn't accompanied by bitter cold.

It was so cold in Chicago earlier this week...a democrat was actually seen with his hands in his own pockets.

fast4522
12-14-2013, 08:22 PM
That is amazing, a better way is real thick gloves preventing the ability to get into any pockets. I don't like the cold or being cold, and believe if the ratio was skewed so there were less I would not mind. What is damn cold is the fact when I entered the workforce there were only X number of people coming into this country per year, today that number has exponentially multiplied. As the main reason for all of our ills today, and saddest of all is the numbers of homeless in the cold. This storm is said to go on record for the amount of miles the storm covers, no doubt the numbers who will die will be a record number as well. Stay warm and safe all of Pace Advantage.

cj's dad
12-14-2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif remember this Tom ??

therussmeister
12-15-2013, 12:22 PM
The snow wouldn't bother me much, if it wasn't accompanied by bitter cold.

It was so cold in Chicago earlier this week...a democrat was actually seen with his hands in his own pockets.
I wish it only got "Chicago cold" here in Minnesota.

woodtoo
12-15-2013, 12:52 PM
-20 f when I got up,couldn't believe my brothers Silverado started without
being plugged in :cool:no snow in sight.

JustRalph
12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
-20 f when I got up,couldn't believe my brothers Silverado started without
being plugged in :cool:no snow in sight.

It's the new battery and electronic tech that makes that happen. In the mid 80's in northern Maine (Caribou) If it would get that cold we just left the cars running all night. They had to start. The Air Force didn't accept any excuses for not coming to work.

Greyfox
12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
-20 F is not cold.

PhantomOnTour
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
That is amazing, a better way is real thick gloves preventing the ability to get into any pockets. I don't like the cold or being cold, and believe if the ratio was skewed so there were less I would not mind. What is damn cold is the fact when I entered the workforce there were only X number of people coming into this country per year, today that number has exponentially multiplied. As the main reason for all of our ills today, and saddest of all is the numbers of homeless in the cold. This storm is said to go on record for the amount of miles the storm covers, no doubt the numbers who will die will be a record number as well. Stay warm and safe all of Pace Advantage.
You are ridiculous

Rookies
12-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Went to Niagara-on-the-Lake (one of the world's most beautiful small towns)for the Santa Claus Parade on Saturday. It was about 14F with Wind Chill and blowing snow and a great time had by all.

Got home today from Niagara Falls, NY to about 6 inches of snow to shovel.:ThmbDown:

I'm retiring on FE 14, so it's suck it up time for 2 more months...:jump:

woodtoo
12-16-2013, 10:16 AM
-20 F is not cold.

Woke up to a balmy plus 15F

minus 20F was so cold I saw a greyfox jump starting a rabbit so
he could chase down his dinner.:D

OTM Al
12-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Took a weekend vacation in Saratoga. Got a foot or so. Only landed on my rear end once all weekend. Got to say it was the quickest and easiest trip up here I've ever had and didn't even go over 65 much at all on the way up Saturday. Really very nice up here in the off season.

reckless
12-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Took a weekend vacation in Saratoga. Got a foot or so. Only landed on my rear end once all weekend. Got to say it was the quickest and easiest trip up here I've ever had and didn't even go over 65 much at all on the way up Saturday. Really very nice up here in the off season.

OT--
Just personally curious Al, when you go to Saratoga do you go up the NYS Truway or do you take the Taconic ? I always went the scenic route (Taconic) because I started from my hometown in the Bronx.

I am writing this at 11:37 am from a Phila., Pa. 'burb and the current temp is 28 F and the sky is very bright and sunny. The weather report and newscasts here are calling for 3-to-6 inches of snow in this area beginning at 3 a.m. tomorrow (Tuesday).

OTM Al
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
OT--
Just personally curious Al, when you go to Saratoga do you go up the NYS Truway or do you take the Taconic ? I always went the scenic route (Taconic) because I started from my hometown in the Bronx.

I am writing this at 11:37 am from a Phila., Pa. 'burb and the current temp is 28 F and the sky is very bright and sunny. The weather report and newscasts here are calling for 3-to-6 inches of snow in this area beginning at 3 a.m. tomorrow (Tuesday).
Throgsneck to the Hutch to the thruway

Ocala Mike
12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't know what's it like today, but the Taconic can be a daunting drive for the uninitiated. Also, it's notorious for radar speed traps in the northern stretches. I wonder if that diner is still there, around 10 miles s. of the northern end, at a traffic lighted intersection. Used to stop there all the time on trips up and back to the Spa, and ran into many horsemen and trainers there back in the day.

riskman
12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't know what's it like today, but the Taconic can be a daunting drive for the uninitiated. Also, it's notorious for radar speed traps in the northern stretches. I wonder if that diner is still there, around 10 miles s. of the northern end, at a traffic lighted intersection. Used to stop there all the time on trips up and back to the Spa, and ran into many horsemen and trainers there back in the day.

The diner is still there, at least it was this past Labor Day weekend.I have been stopping at that diner on my way to Averill Park/Sand Lake for at least 30 years.

fast4522
12-17-2013, 05:44 AM
In this thread post # 3 I injected some political facts into the cold, by post # 9 there was a response. Here is the following data to back up what I was saying, I entered the workforce around 1970 so perhaps the following might shed some light.

Immigration to the United States is a complex demographic phenomenon that has been a major source of population growth and cultural change throughout much of the history of the United States. The economic, social, and political aspects of immigration have caused controversy regarding ethnicity, economic benefits, jobs for non-immigrants, settlement patterns, impact on upward social mobility, crime, and voting behavior. In 2006, the United States accepted more legal immigrants as permanent residents than all other countries in the world combined.[1] After ethnic quotas on immigration were removed in 1965,[2] the number of actual (first-generation) immigrants living in the United States eventually quadrupled,[3] from 9.6 million in 1970 to about 38 million in 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States

More

http://www.desertinvasion.us/data/data.html

The Recent Past (1970-1995): Over the past quarter of a century the U.S. population has increased at a rate higher than that of any other industrialized nation. At the 1970 census, 203 million people were enumerated. That number had surpassed 249 million by 1990. By 1995, 60 million people had been added to the nation's population in just 25 years. This represents an annual average rate of growth over 1.1 percent per year. If that rate is maintained, the population will double in less than 65 years.

Immigration has been a major factor in this rapid growth. According to a recent study by the Urban Institute, if immigration had come to an end in 1970, the 1990 population of the United States would have been 229 million rather than 249 million. Thus, immigration, directly and indirectly, accounted for 44 percent of all growth over those two decades. A 1995 estimate by the Center for Immigration Studies puts the current share of population growth due to immigrants and their U.S.-born children at just over 50 percent.

During the 1970s, legal immigration amounted to 4.5 million. It rose to 7.3 million during the 1980s. If current rates continue, it will exceed nine million during this decade (see Figure 2). Because of this escalating immigration, we estimate that the foreign-born population reached 24 million (9.1% of the population) in 1995, and, unless immigration levels are reduced, it likely will exceed ten percent at the turn of the century.

As a result of both the substantial increase in immigration and the changing sources of that influx, the ethnic composition of the United States has changed dramatically since 1970. Then, non-Hispanic Whites (hereinafter simply Whites) comprised 85 percent of the nation's population. Now, that share is down to less than 75 percent. The Black proportion has remained more stable, increasing from ten to 12 percent. In contrast, the Hispanic share has doubled from five to ten percent and Asians (along with Native Americans and Pacific Islanders) have seen the fastest rate of growth, rising from less than one percent in 1970 to almost four percent today.

http://www.cis.org/articles/1996/illinois.html