PDA

View Full Version : J Paco Gonzalez and some rear view mirror rambling

WP1981
12-13-2013, 01:45 AM
What happened to him? I was always happy to see him and Toffan with a rare entry at SA and Del Mar each year. Equibase shows zero entries for him in 2013.

A related rambling: In some ways I think California racing started to die with the death of Trudy McCaffery. What an ambassador of the sport at an age where it really counted! She started a foundation called Kids to the Cup that sent young race fans on trips to the derby and Preakness with access to everything. They won these trips with good grades and essays/projects on their favorite horses.
I accompanied one of my best friends to SA to do a video project on Came Home for the foundation, she had been a former member and was asked by Trudy to do it. We spent several hours at the barn with Paco and Came Home and followed his huge campaign that year.

I had no interest in horse racing whatsoever at that point and ever since that day I have been obsessed. The sad part is that at the age of 32, I am probably one of the youngest guys at the track week in and week out.... I think it is of no coincidence (however small it may be) that Kids to the Cup disbanded after her death shortly after I got hooked.

The names Bien Bien, Bienamado, Free House and Came Home will always be special to me and probably many socal race fans. I am not sure if Paco or Toffan retired or what the case may be, but not seeing his name in the program makes me feel the end of an era is upon us.

Stillriledup
12-13-2013, 02:10 AM
What happened to him? I was always happy to see him and Toffan with a rare entry at SA and Del Mar each year. Equibase shows zero entries for him in 2013.

A related rambling: In some ways I think California racing started to die with the death of Trudy McCaffery. What an ambassador of the sport at an age where it really counted! She started a foundation called Kids to the Cup that sent young race fans on trips to the derby and Preakness with access to everything. They won these trips with good grades and essays/projects on their favorite horses.
I accompanied one of my best friends to SA to do a video project on Came Home for the foundation, she had been a former member and was asked by Trudy to do it. We spent several hours at the barn with Paco and Came Home and followed his huge campaign that year.

I had no interest in horse racing whatsoever at that point and ever since that day I have been obsessed. The sad part is that at the age of 32, I am probably one of the youngest guys at the track week in and week out.... I think it is of no coincidence (however small it may be) that Kids to the Cup disbanded after her death shortly after I got hooked.

The names Bien Bien, Bienamado, Free House and Came Home will always be special to me and probably many socal race fans. I am not sure if Paco or Toffan retired or what the case may be, but not seeing his name in the program makes me feel the end of an era is upon us.

I met Trudy McCaffrey many years ago at the track, i just ended up face to face with her for some reason and said "are you trudy McCaffrey?" (even though i knew she was) and she said, in a very upbeat way, "i am!" i proceeded to tell her that i was a fan of her horses and thanked her for being a great owner, and she was like a proud mama talking about her babies to me. She was really nice, here i was a complete stranger, asking about her horses, she was incredibly friendly, what a class act. There arent too many owners around like her anymore, she is missed in So Cal for sure.