PDA

View Full Version : Daily Racing Form

aaron
12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Did anyone hear anything about DRF going back to its old size ? A friend of mine said he was told that at Freehold,when purchasing a form.

classhandicapper
12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I haven't seen or heard of anything like that. Personally, the new size has grown on me. I like it better. I especially like that some tracks are not all messed up with inserts etc...

Stillriledup
12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
The new form is good, you can flip fast to the track you want.

Shemp Howard
12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I only wish the Morning Telegraph would come back.

I miss Reigh Count, Hermis and Sweep.

Mineshaft
12-12-2013, 09:40 PM
didn't like the new form either but it has grown on me as well

thaskalos
12-13-2013, 01:23 AM
The new DRF has managed to persuade me to do something that I've been reluctant to do for five years now.

Handicap off of a computer screen.

antigeekess
12-13-2013, 01:27 AM
The new DRF has managed to persuade me to do something that I've been reluctant to do for five years now.

The end of an era?

I hate doing that. I think it's extremely awkward with all the scrolling. I burn a lot of paper and ink around here, printing PPs.

CincyHorseplayer
12-13-2013, 03:01 AM
I like the new form.

duncan04
12-13-2013, 05:47 AM
I like the new form.

Same here. Got it at Turfway on Opening day. First time got the new form and prefered it to the bigger version

stormreveler
12-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Have only used the new form at the Breeders' Cup and a Sunday at Golden Gate but I was a fan of it as soon as I got it into my hands. Not having had a form in my hand since Arkansas Derby day maybe I didn't realize what may have been missing, but I didn't feel like anything was sacrificed and I preferred the size very much.

Saratoga_Mike
12-13-2013, 09:29 AM

I suspect that was the goal....as long as you're handicapping DRF PPs on your computer screen!

1st time lasix
12-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I hate the small print and the shorter abbrevaiation for the horses in the running lines. I like to look at the "company" a horse runs with.... when seperating contenders.

Pensacola Pete
12-13-2013, 02:40 PM
People still use the printed version of the Form?

magwell
12-13-2013, 06:21 PM
People still use the printed version of the Form? Lets call it a "addiction" got to have a fresh form, I guess that's what is called "old school".........;)

Tara73
12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Bring back the Racing Times

CincyHorseplayer
12-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Yes.But count me impressed.You are so technologically advanced that it is just astoundingly mind blowing.

Tom
12-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Here's a tip - don't use indelible ink! :eek:

duncan04
12-15-2013, 10:50 AM

Yeah when I'm at the track. Don't feel like printing out several tracks. Smartass

therussmeister
02-10-2016, 08:14 PM
It appears the price of The Racing Form is set to increase as of Feb 15.

Kash$
02-10-2016, 08:22 PM

:lol: :lol: Criminal..I did away with them long ago..

whodoyoulike
02-10-2016, 09:23 PM

What's the new cost?

I just received and completed a survey in my email yesterday for DRF digital.

I wonder if it's just coincidence or are they pushing DRF digital?

Tall One
02-10-2016, 10:11 PM
$7.25 or $7.50 I want to say?

$2.25 for the mid-west edition in '90 which covered four tracks. I'd read them cover to cover. :)

NorCalGreg
02-11-2016, 01:03 AM

Get used to it, thask----I fought it as long as I could, finally just gave up. I try to print as little as possible...hell you could go through a ream of paper a week, printing out the pp's--not to mention burning through those cheap printers and costly ink.

NorCalGreg
02-11-2016, 01:07 AM
You all remember the good old days...you'd get your 'Form, spread it out on your kitchen table, with your pad of paper, and pens. Pot of coffee already going........

thaskalos
02-11-2016, 01:48 AM
Get used to it, thask----I fought it as long as I could, finally just gave up. I try to print as little as possible...hell you could go through a ream of paper a week, printing out the pp's--not to mention burning through those cheap printers and costly ink.

It doesn't bother me that the DRF is raising the price of the printed edition. Heck...I am all for "free enterprise". A company should be able to charge whatever the market will bear for the products that it provides. But when the DRF claims that their new printed edition is an "improvement", and that the paper used is of a "higher quality"...that's when I get mad. The new printed edition is a disaster, IMO...and I haven't bought one since the new "improvements" were made. The printing is too small...and there is no room in the margins for my numbers and notes. And the paper is of such crappy quality that the ink of the pens that I use to write my own figures upon the page soaks through to the other side's PPs.

I no longer use the DRF...I use the free brisnet PPs that my ADW provides. And I no longer make my own figures because I can't get them attached to the past performances on the computer screen. I have become a long-term customer of TimeformUS...and the DRF will never see another PENNY of mine. And I am getting more sleep at night, since I can no longer idle away the late hours by lying on my couch reading my beloved Form...the OLDER edition.

DRF...I hope you rot in HELL.

therussmeister
02-11-2016, 03:36 AM
What's the new cost?

At my local track they say the new price will be $7.00, but they generally sell the form for the wholesale price. I don't know what they charge now, I don't use DRF.

Interesting to note that last Monday, with few tracks running, DRF did not include Laurel Park.

NY BRED
02-11-2016, 07:13 AM
It appears the price of The Racing Form is set to increase as of Feb 15.,,

The DRF should increase their pricing if the the ownership
wishes to maintain their position as the most expensive
newspaper in the world.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom
02-11-2016, 07:36 AM
It's been $9.00 for Saturdays around here fr awhile.
After buying one Saturday, and seeing the Beyers for a AQU $20K race being inferior to a Tampa $10K race, I laughed, bot ha the Beyers and At NYRA.

NorCalGreg
02-11-2016, 08:50 AM
What's the new cost?

You really take your precious time to complete on-line surveys, whodo? This is information that's absolutely vital to these companies--they want to get the info as cheaply as possible--and have you spend YOUR TIME helping them, with the promise of "SOMEONE" winning some prize no one really wants.

It they send me $20, I'll fill it out.

no breathalyzer
02-11-2016, 09:02 AM

yes only when at the track tho.. and the new size sucks!

Ghostzapper04
02-11-2016, 10:17 AM
That paper must be very expensive to produce, so they're trying to stretch out every penny before it sees it's last day. They want you online and if you're stubborn enough to keep buying the paper form, you're going to pay.

Tom
02-11-2016, 11:25 AM
The paper edition is a better buy than the electronic - $2.95/track?!

Nutz and Boltz
02-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Expensive item, for something to use to "stake a claim on your seat"when you're at the track. :D

whodoyoulike
02-11-2016, 04:29 PM
You really take your precious time to complete on-line surveys, whodo? This is information that's absolutely vital to these companies--they want to get the info as cheaply as possible--and have you spend YOUR TIME helping them, with the promise of "SOMEONE" winning some prize no one really wants.

It they send me $20, I'll fill it out.

I don't mind taking the time for certain things besides if I don't like a product I usually unsubscribe from receiving their emails. I'm no longer a die hard fan of DRF since they boosted their cost twice within one year which was a long time ago.

I actually thought at the time I could help them improve their product. As, I mentioned most likely, they were just letting me know about DRF digital.

Tom
02-13-2016, 05:19 PM
I bought a Weekend Stake edition this week.
The best thing about it was half the races were cancelled.

All and all, what we call stakes race these days is pretty sad.

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 12:38 PM
It's May 4th and all of my play has been with online PP's etc. But from Derby day til the track closes or weekends I prefer to get a Daily Racing Form and go old school and just print out pace figures etc. Just went to get the Oaks form this morning and my guy since 1996 doesn't even get them delivered anymore. Called other places around town, neither do they. Am waiting on a call from the track to confirm or deny if they even have it.

This is a blow. Not having options. I like to have print forms. Being on track for months they are hostile to you if you bring a computer, not to mention they don't have wifi nor a place to plug in at hardly anywhere on track.

Anyway my play just took a blow this morning. Between the Racinos making the ontrack experience as uncomfortable for the player as possible and the DRF being complicit in that same task I'm pissed. The Daily Racing Form. I would never have ever thought they would participate in a conspiracy that further would reduce the racing fan numbers. Plus I don't want to print phone books. If I get PP's online I would have to do that. Plus I would want to save the files onto a disc. Something I've never needed to do and not sure how to do?

Anyway other than scolding me for not being completely modern and single minded do you have any suggestions or comments for any of the above?

cj
05-04-2017, 12:47 PM
This is a blow. Not having options. I like to have print forms. Being on track for months they are hostile to you if you bring a computer, not to mention they don't have wifi nor a place to plug in at hardly anywhere on track.

Which track? I want to know which to avoid!

Power can be a problem, but all the tracks I've been to the last few years (and it has been 10+) have free wifi and I've never had anyone care about a laptop.

johnhannibalsmith
05-04-2017, 12:48 PM
CINCINNATI

BG Distributors - 513-258-3120

River Downs - 513-232-8000

Cheviot News - N. Bend Rd - Cheviot, Ohio

Blue Jay - Hamilton Ave - Cincinnati, Ohio

5 Mile Marathon - Kellog and 5 Mile - Cincinnati, Ohio

JVW Sandwhich Shop - Worth Ave - Cincinnati, Ohio

Fountain News - 5th and Walnut - Cincinnati, Ohio

John's Carryout - Webster Ave - Deer Park, Ohio

Reading Carry Out - Jefferson Ave - Reading, Ohio

biggestal99
05-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Yes, I am surprised that tracks dont have plugs. Looked high and low at Saratoga. Finally found one that a water fountain was plugged into.

Keeneland had a couple upstairs during the BC when I was there.

Should have charging stations like they have at the airport.

Allan

thaskalos
05-04-2017, 01:31 PM
It's May 4th and all of my play has been with online PP's etc. But from Derby day til the track closes or weekends I prefer to get a Daily Racing Form and go old school and just print out pace figures etc. Just went to get the Oaks form this morning and my guy since 1996 doesn't even get them delivered anymore. Called other places around town, neither do they. Am waiting on a call from the track to confirm or deny if they even have it.

Anyway my play just took a blow this morning. Between the Racinos making the ontrack experience as uncomfortable for the player as possible and the DRF being complicit in that same task I'm pissed. The Daily Racing Form. I would never have ever thought they would participate in a conspiracy that further would reduce the racing fan numbers. Plus I don't want to print phone books. If I get PP's online I would have to do that. Plus I would want to save the files onto a disc. Something I've never needed to do and not sure how to do?

Anyway other than scolding me for not being completely modern and single minded do you have any suggestions or comments for any of the above?

I bought the paper DRF every night for 30 years...and discovered some wonderful rollerball pens that could write even while upside-down, which I bought by the box. Hour after hour I would spend, joyously handicapping while lying on my couch...making my notations and other calculations on the newspaper's spacious margins. It was wonderfully convenient for me...and I resisted the "online revolution" in spite of the persistent nagging of my friends.

But things started to go drastically wrong with my "DRF Experience". Race tracks that I was interested in were not getting covered by the paper's printed edition...and the delivery of the paper was getting inconsistent. The DRF would not make nightly deliveries on a daily basis...and buying the paper at 11 AM left me no time for the pre-handicapping that I needed to do. Then the size of the paper changed...and there were no margins in the PPs for my personal figure calculations and other notations. And all this...while the price of the printed edition was skyrocketing out of control. With much trepidation...I started looking deeper into my other, online options.

I have now been buying my PPs online, from a source OTHER than the DRF, for the last 3 months or so...and I am happier than I've ever been. Admittedly, there was an adjustment period...and I have to write my calculations in a separate notebook. But I now operate on my OWN schedule...and not on the whims of the DRF. It turns out that the old adage is quite wrong; you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

What a fool I had been...

DeltaLover
05-04-2017, 03:21 PM
DRF is a 19th century antique! I find it surprising that so many bettors still rely on printed past performances and pen and paper calculations and notes..

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Which track? I want to know which to avoid!

Power can be a problem, but all the tracks I've been to the last few years (and it has been 10+) have free wifi and I've never had anyone care about a laptop.

Went to the track today and got a form. It's about 12 more miles away but tolerable. Just have to get there when they open in the morning to get a form. All the outlets around the city the distributor does not deliver too any more so I know this city will lose a lot of players, especially older players. Shame

But my phone did pick up Belterra Park wifi. I heard it vibrate in my pocket. This was an issue when they reopened the track a few years ago. CJ the seating went from about 750 seats to about 150 plus no power in their chintzy grandstand(so cheap they have a canopy top!). I walked in the simulcast place and I don't think any of the seats have power access. I'd have to have about 3-5 batteries to get through a damn day!

Oh well. I am old school and new school. Having to go all new or nothing is BS. But making the adjustments slowly and have form access!:)

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 03:42 PM
CINCINNATI

BG Distributors - 513-258-3120

River Downs - 513-232-8000

Cheviot News - N. Bend Rd - Cheviot, Ohio

Blue Jay - Hamilton Ave - Cincinnati, Ohio

5 Mile Marathon - Kellog and 5 Mile - Cincinnati, Ohio

JVW Sandwhich Shop - Worth Ave - Cincinnati, Ohio

Fountain News - 5th and Walnut - Cincinnati, Ohio

John's Carryout - Webster Ave - Deer Park, Ohio

Reading Carry Out - Jefferson Ave - Reading, Ohio

Called em all this morning. NO dice. BG drops em off at the track and that's it.

classhandicapper
05-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Cincy,

Why don't you print the Classic PPs or even better customized PPs via Formulator?

There is no real need to get the paper when you can print the exact tracks you want and/or the exact information you want and need in the format you like. That way you don't have tracks in your edition that you are not interested in and some that you are interested in not in your edition.

I printed CD and BEL for Saturday and it contains all my trip and other notes from Formulator right on the paper.

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 05:08 PM
DRF is a 19th century antique! I find it surprising that so many bettors still rely on printed past performances and pen and paper calculations and notes..

Damn the guy that gives me great advice on what books on computers to get this winter just has to bust my arse on this subject! LOL!

Delta I said in today's first post on this that all year I have played from the computer and utilize it for much information beyond PP's. We probably handicap differently anyway. There is no 1 way and truth and light!

But seriously all this is fine and dandy if I remain in winter time capper mode. From here til nearly the Breeder's Cup I won't be betting at home except after work for a few races or playing at night. I will be at the track where there is no power access for your computer and coming to the track with a binder of 200 pages isn't either fun or cost cutting or time cutting. I have some real challenges between the comfort of winter capper and the realities of summer capper. I was hoping for more constructive ideas from you than poking your finger at me!:cool:

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Cincy,

Why don't you print the Classic PPs or even better customized PPs via Formulator?

There is no real need to get the paper when you can print the exact tracks you want and/or the exact information you want and need in the format you like. That way you don't have tracks in your edition that you are not interested in and some that you are interested in not in your edition.

I printed CD and BEL for Saturday and it contains all my trip and other notes from Formulator right on the paper.

That's true. And not surprisingly we are looking at the same tracks this weekend!

Even with refilling ink jets the cost of doing this isn't any lower than buying a damn for Class. I am slowing like Thask said "Moving on" but not quite there. I need one of those super printers then spend 5 grand on ink!

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2017, 05:12 PM
I bought the paper DRF every night for 30 years...and discovered some wonderful rollerball pens that could write even while upside-down, which I bought by the box. Hour after hour I would spend, joyously handicapping while lying on my couch...making my notations and other calculations on the newspaper's spacious margins. It was wonderfully convenient for me...and I resisted the "online revolution" in spite of the persistent nagging of my friends.

But things started to go drastically wrong with my "DRF Experience". Race tracks that I was interested in were not getting covered by the paper's printed edition...and the delivery of the paper was getting inconsistent. The DRF would not make nightly deliveries on a daily basis...and buying the paper at 11 AM left me no time for the pre-handicapping that I needed to do. Then the size of the paper changed...and there were no margins in the PPs for my personal figure calculations and other notations. And all this...while the price of the printed edition was skyrocketing out of control. With much trepidation...I started looking deeper into my other, online options.

I have now been buying my PPs online, from a source OTHER than the DRF, for the last 3 months or so...and I am happier than I've ever been. Admittedly, there was an adjustment period...and I have to write my calculations in a separate notebook. But I now operate on my OWN schedule...and not on the whims of the DRF. It turns out that the old adage is quite wrong; you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

What a fool I had been...

Thask are you exclusively betting from home these days? Being on track with no power source is a real killer.

cj
05-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Went to the track today and got a form. It's about 12 more miles away but tolerable. Just have to get there when they open in the morning to get a form. All the outlets around the city the distributor does not deliver too any more so I know this city will lose a lot of players, especially older players. Shame

But my phone did pick up Belterra Park wifi. I heard it vibrate in my pocket. This was an issue when they reopened the track a few years ago. CJ the seating went from about 750 seats to about 150 plus no power in their chintzy grandstand(so cheap they have a canopy top!). I walked in the simulcast place and I don't think any of the seats have power access. I'd have to have about 3-5 batteries to get through a damn day!

Oh well. I am old school and new school. Having to go all new or nothing is BS. But making the adjustments slowly and have form access!:)

I actually use a tablet most times now for a variety reasons when at the track, but the biggest one is we have a thing that holds a bunch of chargers, 8 or 10, and we can use that to charge phones and tablets any time during the day without worrying about running out of juice.

I don't think this is the exact one but it is similar:

Portable Power Bank (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQ4JQAA/ref=asc_df_B00ZQ4JQAA4969049/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00ZQ4JQAA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140037427&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8407700972256201551&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026282&hvtargid=pla-164705693050)

It isn't perfect, but the old days aren't coming back. :)

thaskalos
05-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Thask are you exclusively betting from home these days? Being on track with no power source is a real killer.

Yes. I have been house-bound for 3 months...after spending a lifetime at the tracks and the OTBs. And I LOVE it!

Track Collector
05-04-2017, 07:50 PM
That's true. And not surprisingly we are looking at the same tracks this weekend!

Even with refilling ink jets the cost of doing this isn't any lower than buying a damn for Class. I am slowing like Thask said "Moving on" but not quite there. I need one of those super printers then spend 5 grand on ink!

I have a racing friend who used to do a lot of printing every day with his inkjet printer. Got him to switch over to an inexpensive Brother black and white laser printer, which is also has a much quicker print speed. When he needs toner he gets it from one of those non-OEM sources. He saves more than $1000 per year on printing. I think the Brother B&W laser printers are now somewhere around the $150-$200 range.

P.S. Buy the High-Yield toners.

therussmeister
05-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Don't use ink jets, use laser printer. You can always find a Brother laser printer on sale for $60 or less. I pay $23.95 for off-brand toner cartridges (there are cheaper ones available) and get about 2300 pages in toner save mode. BRIS custom PP generator prints an average of about 25 pages per card.

All in I estimate it costs no more than $4.50/day to print my three tracks.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Don't use ink jets, use laser printer. You can always find a Brother laser printer on sale for $60 or less. I pay $23.95 for off-brand toner cartridges (there are cheaper ones available) and get about 2300 pages in toner save mode. BRIS custom PP generator prints an average of about 25 pages per card.

All in I estimate it costs no more than $4.50/day to print my three tracks.

My work pays for my ink. :p

Yeah, once I put pen to paper and visualize it, I can work solely from a Race Card that simply lists PPs, Horse Names, Jockeys, and Trainers and recall all the work I've done before. But......., there is always that little something somewhere, due to track variants etc. that I need to hopefully adjust to throughout the day. That inkling always in the back of your head that you somehow missed....

I'm Linus. I still need my blanket. :pout: