PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Introduction

Redboard
12-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd write a little introduction as my first post.

Live in South Jersey so I'm a big fan of the Philly sports teams(how about those Eagles!). My usual OTB's are Harah's Chester and Parx, where I usually stop in once a week or so. Visit Saratoga every summer for a week or two. And Gulfstream in the winter.

Smarty Jones is the horse that got me into horse racing and have been following the sport ever since. As far as handicapping, I still depend primarily on the beyer and the drf. Usually play win, place, show, and pick4. Avoid first time starters except when it's Todd Pletcher in July at Saratoga. He seems to roll out his best 2yrolds at that time. I like closers shortening up and speed stretching out. The winner of a maiden claiming race has won nothing IMO so I'll usually toss in his next race.

Ok, it doesn't always work, but hey that's horse racing.

See you around.

:)

Jay Trotter
12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome Redboard!

johnhannibalsmith
12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Aloha!

Tom
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Welcome....

If you go to Toga, check out the Toga Get Together section here - been going on 11 years now, you can actually meet some of the characters here!

ArlJim78
12-12-2013, 05:33 PM
welcome aboard.

pondman
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Avoid first time starters except when it's Todd Pletcher in July at Saratoga. He seems to roll out his best 2yrolds at that time.

I'd suggest taking this a step further. Some of those high end owners send their 2 year olds to high dollar facilities before Pletcher gets them. So you might want to isolate owners w/ Pletcher.

The winner of a maiden claiming race has won nothing IMO so I'll usually toss in his next race.

Be careful with that one. I read this at PA frequently. People who know better, are saying this. But my largest cashes ever year for the last 20 year have been repeats. Most of those are West Coast. What ever you do, be specific, and try not to say never. Try to have the data behind your bet.

KidCapper
12-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the party!

Some_One
12-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Be careful with that one. I read this at PA frequently. People who know better, are saying this. But my largest cashes ever year for the last 20 year have been repeats. Most of those are West Coast. What ever you do, be specific, and try not to say never. Try to have the data behind your bet.

At a price, they're ok, I think they are worth opposing at short prices IMO

jefftune
12-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Welcome, fellow degenerate.

Redboard
12-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Good point Pondman, If you noticed I did not say never. For example, in today's 9th race at Tampa, an OC N1X, the #3 Always First Class is coming out of a maiden claiming win. As I mentioned, normally I toss those but he's got good breeding, a decent speed figure, good workouts, and it was his only start. You can't ignore an undefeated horse, so I included him in my pick 4.
As far as having data behind my bet, I believe that last-out maiden claimers rarely win an N1X race, in my experience. No I don't have the exact statistics for every track, but if anyone out there knows different, I'm all ears.