PDA

View Full Version : Pope is Time Magazine Person of the Year

classhandicapper
12-11-2013, 09:46 AM
If the mainstream media likes this Pope, that's an indication that Satan is making deeper inroads into the institution. I say this as a Catholic that was disappointed that the Church could allow itself to be in a position where so many sex crimes occurred.

http://poy.time.com/2013/12/11/pope-francis-the-choice/

FantasticDan
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
If the mainstream media likes this Pope, that's an indication that Satan is making deeper inroads into the institution. :D :ThmbUp:

62Qfbrc1jdo

DJofSD
12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
If the mainstream media likes this Pope, that's an indication that Satan is making deeper inroads into the institution. I say this as a Catholic that was disappointed that the Church could allow itself to be in a position where so many sex crimes occurred.

Just remember, the Pope is only infallible when it pertains to matters of faith.

The Holy Sees handling of the American church's sex scandals and now the seeming attack on capitalism proves they're an institution made up of humans whom are just as libel to be wrong as any other institution. Their demonstration of concern of corrupted institutions over the rights and liberties of the individual is a disappointment.

Overlay
12-11-2013, 12:25 PM
You mean I got passed over AGAIN?? Darn it!! :)

DJofSD
12-11-2013, 12:33 PM
You mean I got passed over AGAIN?? Darn it!! :)
Well, it's obvious to me you've been nice so you'll have lots of gifts under the tree.

Try being really naughty in 2014 then you've have a shot at fame.

classhandicapper
12-11-2013, 01:14 PM
:D :ThmbUp:

62Qfbrc1jdo

All time funny skit!

thaskalos
12-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Yeah...let's blame Satan for the sex crimes.

Jay Trotter
12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
FINALISTS FOR TIME PERSON OF THE YEAR

Bashar Assad, President of Syria

Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder

Ted Cruz, Texas Senator

Miley Cyrus, Singer

Pope Francis, Leader of the Catholic Church

Barack Obama, President of the United States

Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran

Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services

Edward Snowden, N.S.A. Leaker

Edith Windsor, Gay rights activist

In my humble opinion the two obvious choices were Pope Francis and Edward Snowden. Either one would have been worthy of the title.

I'm not a big fan of Popes but Francis seems to be hitting all the right notes and is making a big impact in fairly short order. The Snowden leaks have certainly made a huge effect on world politics and diplomacy.

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Miley Cyrus?

Really?

Robert Goren
12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Ted Cruz, I thought his 15 minutes up and Sarah Palin had reclaimed her crown as head of the Tea Party.:rolleyes:

FantasticDan
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Miley Cyrus? Really?They always like to throw an "entertainer" (cough) in there more often than not. Cyrus has pushed a lot of buttons this year.. :p :bang:

wisconsin
12-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Pedophiles figured out long ago that priesthood was an inside track to be around young boys (and a few girls). By the time the church caught wind, it was already too widespread.

thaskalos
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Pedophiles figured out long ago that priesthood was an inside track to be around young boys (and a few girls). By the time the church caught wind, it was already too widespread.
IMO...it became widespread because the higher-ups were covering up the atrocities and looking out for the welfare of these predators-disguised-as-priests...instead of caring about their victims.

tucker6
12-11-2013, 08:46 PM
IMO...it became widespread because the higher-ups were covering up the atrocities and looking out for the welfare of these predators-disguised-as-priests...instead of caring about their victims.I believe you would be incorrect for the most part. Ultimately, all decisions are rooted in power and money, not altruism. Even true altruism is a form of power. In this case, the power of the church and those overseeing it would be diminished if it got out that priests were pedophiles. They probably thought the problem was less than it was and that they could control it. Isn't that how all large firestorms happen. It starts small and then is underestimated until the tail wags the dog.

thaskalos
12-11-2013, 09:10 PM
I believe you would be incorrect for the most part. Ultimately, all decisions are rooted in power and money, not altruism. Even true altruism is a form of power. In this case, the power of the church and those overseeing it would be diminished if it got out that priests were pedophiles. They probably thought the problem was less than it was and that they could control it. Isn't that how all large firestorms happen. It starts small and then is underestimated until the tail wags the dog.
These pedophile priests were being re-assigned to new parishes, tucker...where they would start anew, with a brand new batch of kids...when they should have been hung instead.

Tom
12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Miley Cyrus?

Really?

REALLY!

cj's dad
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
REALLY!

She is a pig !! Billy Ray has serious problems with her as well he should !!

badcompany
12-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Most of cases were not pre-pubescent boys, but 15-16 year olds. The Priests were not Pedos, just Gay. That Celibacy thing is an easier sell to someone with no interest in women.

Tom
12-11-2013, 11:00 PM
She is a pig !! Billy Ray has serious problems with her as well he should !!

Who you calling a pig????

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2013, 11:31 PM
REALLY!

The amazing thing is, as near as I can tell... that picture basically is her entire resume for the title.

By those standards, the Kardashian broad is a finalist for Person of the Century.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd still rather spend time with her more than pretty much anyone else on the list, but still... :D

mostpost
12-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Who you calling a pig????
In my opinion, the picture in 19 is more appealing than the picture in 16.

PaceAdvantage
12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
IMO...it became widespread because the higher-ups were covering up the atrocities and looking out for the welfare of these predators-disguised-as-priests...instead of caring about their victims.I don't think they were looking out for the welfare of those individual monsters as much as they were looking out for the welfare of the institution (be it the local church itself or as it became more widespread, the Catholic Church as a whole).

They were covering up a reputation more than any one individual in my opinion.

Please don't read that as me providing justification. Just that I don't believe letting these sub-humans get away with what they did was the motivating factor, even though the end result was the same.

JustRalph
12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Kids don't listen to radio etc anymore. They get all of "their" music on YouTube. Miley Cyrus has one video on YouTube that is closing in on 400 million views

Think about that number........it's staggering. That's why she matters. As disgusting as I think she is, she has made an impact beyond anything conceivable five years ago.

Those hits are now being counted by Billboard in some fashion also. I don't know the details but it's amazing.

Songwriters are not going to put up with it much longer. Can you imagine the royalties they would receive if YouTube were a radio station?

.08 cents per play if my memory serves me right. 31 million?

Related: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/oct/10/music-streaming-songwriters-youtube-pandora

JustRalph
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
In my opinion, the picture in 19 is more appealing than the picture in 16.

Toss in a bottle of barbecue sauce and I'm with you.........

PaceAdvantage
12-12-2013, 12:47 AM
These pedophile priests were being re-assigned to new parishes, tucker...where they would start anew, with a brand new batch of kids...when they should have been hung instead.A point I hadn't considered when I wrote my last reply. Perhaps they gave those priests a stern warning before they reassigned them... :rolleyes:

mostpost
12-12-2013, 12:51 AM
That may be true in some cases, but I have read some interviews with convicted or confessed pedophile priests. Those priests said that they entered the priesthood in order to gain the strength to resist their urges. They felt that if they dedicated their life to God, that God would help them to resist temptation.
Obviously, they were wrong.

PhantomOnTour
12-12-2013, 12:52 AM
With that lineup they should have decided to give no one the Man of the Year award. Ya know, like when no one gets enough votes for the Baseball Hall of Fame...they induct nobody.

This year, no one did enough to garner induction into the Human Hall Of Fame.

mostpost
12-12-2013, 01:00 AM
A point I hadn't considered when I wrote my last reply. Perhaps they gave those priests a stern warning before they reassigned them... :rolleyes:
I think your response in 22 was correct. The unfortunate side effect of reassigning the guilty priests was to provide them with a new supply of victims, but the reason was to protect the reputation of the institutional church.

Like you, I hope my response is not interpreted as condoning either the actions of the priests or the cover ups by the hierarchy.

thaskalos
12-12-2013, 01:59 AM
I think your response in 22 was correct. The unfortunate side effect of reassigning the guilty priests was to provide them with a new supply of victims, but the reason was to protect the reputation of the institutional church.

Like you, I hope my response is not interpreted as condoning either the actions of the priests or the cover ups by the hierarchy.

What exactly did the church authorities THINK was going to happen when they reassigned these "priests"? Was the attempt to protect the reputation of the "institutional church" any less contemptible than the pedophile sex acts themselves?

Personally...I can't believe that the Catholic Church was able to withstand this shameful atrocity as well as they did. A flamethrower should have been taken to the place...IMO.

DJofSD
12-12-2013, 06:44 AM
IMO...it became widespread because the higher-ups were covering up the atrocities and looking out for the welfare of these predators-disguised-as-priests...instead of caring about their victims.
I agree, 100%.

Robert Goren
12-12-2013, 07:20 AM
I do believe there is any evidence that this Pope had anything to do the scandal. It appears the Church went out of its way to pick a Pope that was not involved in anyway. So far I have seen nothing but good from him. I do think he makes some more worldly men a bit uncomfortable. That is a good thing.

tucker6
12-12-2013, 07:20 AM
These pedophile priests were being re-assigned to new parishes, tucker...where they would start anew, with a brand new batch of kids...when they should have been hung instead.
Thaskalos, as a lawyer friend of mine would say, "we are in heated agreement". Every last one should have faced the music as a common pedophile. As a manager in my company, if I would have transferred a known pedophile and they did these things in their new work place, both my company and me personally would have been held liable for the new abuse. That's the part I don't get. Why are bishops and archbishops and popes not on trial for gross negligence at a minimum.

tucker6
12-12-2013, 07:21 AM
I do believe there is any evidence that this Pope had anything to do the scandal. It appears the Church went out of its way to pick a Pope that was not involved in anyway. So far I have seen nothing but good from him. I do think he makes some more worldly men a bit uncomfortable. That is a good thing.
Curious what you mean by the bolded. Can you give a couple examples?

Robert Goren
12-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Curious what you mean by the bolded. Can you give a couple examples?You? and me!

tucker6
12-12-2013, 08:44 AM
You? and me!
what would make me uncomfortable about his message? As far as I can tell, he preaches that we should take the time to lift up those in need as much as we can. He doesn't ask me to give up capitalism or all my possessions. So, I'm down with that message. Honestly I don't read nearly everything he says, so maybe I'm missing something.

wisconsin
12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
That may be true in some cases, but I have read some interviews with convicted or confessed pedophile priests. Those priests said that they entered the priesthood in order to gain the strength to resist their urges. They felt that if they dedicated their life to God, that God would help them to resist temptation.
Obviously, they were wrong.

What else could they say? :rolleyes:

They are sick individuals who, in my opinion, used priesthood as their avenue to boys. This would include the priest who married my wife and I in 1984, who was busted for hanging around waterpark changing rooms.

Two priests who were around the catholic grade school I went to abused boys, and another when I lived in Twin lakes, WI in the late '70's also was found out. It's an alarming number of priests.

Maybe a few entered to "get away from the urges", but not the majority.