PDA

View Full Version : racetrack employees compensation/cancellations

acorn54
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
does anybody know if the racetrack employees at the racetracks get compensated if the race day is cancelled. it seems it would put a real dent in their salaries/wages if they did not, especially during the winter months when so many days are cancelled due to bad weather/poor track conditions.

Ocala Mike
12-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Don't know how it works now, but in the old "union" days at NYRA, there was a specific time by which NYRA had to call the races (maybe 8:15 am). Beyond that time, if the clerks came in they were paid a full day, regardless if a full card was run or not.

Another boondoggle in the old days (70's/80's) was the fact that there was some kind of arrangement whereby NYCOTB paid the salaries of several clerks who were "assigned" to OTB, AND WENT HOME FOR THE DAY WITH PAY.

RunForTheRoses
12-09-2013, 08:03 PM
does anybody know if the racetrack employees at the racetracks get compensated if the race day is cancelled. it seems it would put a real dent in their salaries/wages if they did not, especially during the winter months when so many days are cancelled due to bad weather/poor track conditions.

I would say probably not. Maybe the most senior personnel but probably not.

When I worked for the track you had to shape up, you could (and I did many times)get sent home no work no pay.

Robert Goren
12-10-2013, 12:25 AM
I would say probably not. Maybe the most senior personnel but probably not.

When I worked for the track you had to shape up, you could (and I did many times)get sent home no work no pay.How do they keep any low wage people. A missed day of pay means a lot to low wage people.

pondman
12-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Which employees? The tellers in California are state employees with a public union. It's really hard to not pay them or get rid of them for a day. Most of the time they've got to be offer other positions, with travel benefit. In other words, if Northern Cal goes to 3 days, they've got to offer the state employees a job somewhere else and pay for Hotel rooms. Southern California has a guy in his 90s. People have been trying to get rid of him for 20 years.

The concession people are another story. When N. Cal goes to 3 days, they are told to get another job at Crispy Crème. That's a rough way to live. Don't wish it on anyone. Try and give them a tip, if you have extra change.

craigbraddick
12-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I think it depends on your position and tje policy of the company. In my case, I am salary so it does not effect me. Has done at other tracks though!

Craig

wisconsin
12-11-2013, 06:00 PM
I think it depends on your position and tje policy of the company. In my case, I am salary so it does not effect me. Has done at other tracks though!

Craig

Craig, always wondered about announcer pay. Do you get a regular check every week during the meet, or are you paid once? Or do they spread it over a year's time?

BIG49010
12-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I believe in Chicago, and it could have changed, the mutual clerks are 134 Electrical union people. They receive so much per shift, and you are given so many shifts a year. Many would work their allotment of shifts, then head to Florida to do there allotment in Florida. It was a good old boy type deal, management would judge the crowd, and then assign a certain number of people to certain areas. The clerks could show up and wait, or leave it was up to them. On a day where they cancelled early, no work or pay, if they were assigned a post they got paid.

craigbraddick
12-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Depends on the track. At some I have been a contractor and pick up a check bi-weekly, some make me a temp employee for the course of the meet. Usually based around a daily rate.

In my case now where I work year round, I worked out how much I wanted per day for announcing and they told me what else they wanted me to do...and we came to an agreement and I am just a salaried employee!

Craig