PDA

View Full Version : Stanford vs Michigan State Rose Bowl Jan 1, 2014

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 04:03 AM
All things Stanford, All things Sparty.

Who you pickin?

Stanford lost to USC and Mich St looked pretty good the other day, i'm thinking it might be a green new year in Pasadena.

RXB
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Who you pickin?

Stanford lost to USC and Mich St looked pretty good the other day, i'm thinking it might be a green new year in Pasadena.

1. Stanford played in very probably the stronger of the two conferences this year. Most of the legit ratings companies have the Pac 12 about a TD stronger than the Big Ten this year.

2. Prior to the title game vs tOSU, Mich St's cross-division games were against Indiana, Illinois, Purdue-- the three bottom feeders of the other division with a combined 4-20 conference record.

3. Prior to the title game vs ASU, Stanford's four cross-division games were against ASU (whipped 'em both times), UCLA, USC and Utah-- combined 22-14 conference record.

Adding up those three items, do you think maybe Stanford played a much tougher schedule than Mich St?

And apparently you didn't watch the Pac 12 title game, because I don't know how anyone who did wouldn't have come away impressed by Stanford.

BlueShoe
12-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Stanford a 3 1/2 point favorite in early wagering. Unsure at this point. Have to wonder if the Cardinals can run against the outstanding MS defense? Stanford fills the air with footballs and throws 40-50 times? If forced to do so, quite likely they will lose.

Valuist
12-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I'd lean toward the dog. Michigan State is the best defense in NCAA. Number 1 against the run, and # 1 in QB rating against.

RXB
12-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd lean toward the dog. Michigan State is the best defense in NCAA. Number 1 against the run, and # 1 in QB rating against.

Adjusted for strength of schedule, Alabama's overall defensive performance was equally strong and Stanford's very nearly so.

Despite playing a much stronger schedule than Michigan St did, Stanford didn't allow a single opponent to exceed 28 points. Any defensive advantage for Michigan St is far greater in reputation than in reality.

Valuist
12-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Adjusted for strength of schedule, Alabama's overall defensive performance was equally strong and Stanford's very nearly so.

Despite playing a much stronger schedule than Michigan St did, Stanford didn't allow a single opponent to exceed 28 points. Any defensive advantage for Michigan St is far greater in reputation than in reality.

Stanford played a stronger schedule but their defense is more one dimensional. Great against the run, much worse against the pass.

Rush defense: 1. MSU 83 yds/game 3. Stanford 92 yds/game
Pass defense (by opposing QB rating) 1. MSU 91.5 45. Stanford 122.5
Yards per play allowed: 1. MSU 3.8 10. Stanford 4.6

sammy the sage
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Stanford played a stronger schedule but their defense is more one dimensional. Great against the run, much worse against the pass.

Rush defense: 1. MSU 83 yds/game 3. Stanford 92 yds/game
Pass defense (by opposing QB rating) 1. MSU 91.5 45. Stanford 122.5
Yards per play allowed: 1. MSU 3.8 10. Stanford 4.6

am curious as WHAT big 10 QB is EVEN in the top 50 throwing...and DID MSU play them...

stats/figures can BE deceiving...

RXB
12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
am curious as WHAT big 10 QB is EVEN in the top 50 throwing...and DID MSU play them...

stats/figures can BE deceiving...

Bingo, Sammy. It's like looking at finishing position/margins in horse racing without considering the class level, pace, etc.

From the Pac 12, Mariota and Hundley would go in the first round of the NFL draft if they declared. Mannion, Kelly and Price are also quite good as passers. Stanford played six games against those five QB's, any of whom I would rather have passing the football for my team before any Big Ten starter this year.

Braxton Miller is the best QB in the Big Ten and that's because of his running and improvisational abilities, not his passing ability.

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, i'm not an expert on CFB so i'm asking the gallery here for some insight.

I think USC stinks and they beat Stanford, i can't imagine that USC is better than Ohio State and Sparty kind of beat OSU fair and square.

But, i don't know what that means, if anything. I liked the "vibe" that the Spartans gave off the other day, they looked to have a ton of passion for the game, if they come in as angry and as fired up as they were the other day, they appear to be a very live puppy.

But, i'm still open to some suggestions that Stanford might be a legit favorite.

RXB
12-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Line opened at Stanford -1.5 and has quickly moved to -4, which I think is about right. This is the bowl that I'm most anticipating as it has the strongest twosome of teams besides the title game and seems like a competitive matchup unlike the Sugar or Fiesta where one team is a couple TD's better than the other.

Missouri-Oklahoma St in the Cotton Bowl probably interests me more than any of the other BCS bowls.

Stillriledup
01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Bump. ;)

RXB
01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
MSU wins and deservingly so.

RXB
01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
And I should add that David Shaw might not want to put this game onto his playcalling resumé.

Stillriledup
01-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Who you pickin?

Who won? :D

Yes, a green new year, like i said, like i promised. Plus money on the ML.

Hope you all cashed. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
01-02-2014, 12:07 PM
MSU proved they did have the best defense in college football. Held Stanford to 11 first downs. Spartans lost the turnover battle and still came out on top.