PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer Pick 5

Stillriledup
12-08-2013, 08:39 PM
No matter what happens, no matter how impossible the sequence is, someone is always alive for the pool to multiple horses, heading into leg 5.

And yet, nobody will ever look into this, to see who's name shows up as cashing these tickets.

Wouldnt you do a little digging if this was YOUR track?

:eek:

Phantombridgejumpe
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM
What are the payoffs? Why do they have to give a name unless it is a signer.

Stillriledup
12-08-2013, 10:32 PM
What are the payoffs? Why do they have to give a name unless it is a signer.

Its probably a signer more times than not, it just needs to be 600 bucks to be a signer, most of those pick 5s pay more than that i would imagine.

Phantombridgejumpe
12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm all for privacy in betting whenever possible.

Some tracks let you know how many tickets are alive for certain bets after 2 or 3 legs, maybe that would help.

I guess I'm not crystal clear what you are accusing someone of in this case. Playing lots of strange combos isn't against the rules.

Stillriledup
12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm all for privacy in betting whenever possible.

Some tracks let you know how many tickets are alive for certain bets after 2 or 3 legs, maybe that would help.

I guess I'm not crystal clear what you are accusing someone of in this case. Playing lots of strange combos isn't against the rules.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. For all i know, all tracks review their betting patterns in their blind pools. We did have Chris Harn once upon a time, just want to know that people are doing their jobs and they're making sure everything is legit.

Stillriledup
12-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Thunder Roaring in the final race, by a distance. Showed zero on paper, and today ran like a ringer and was bet down to 6-5 off a 12-1 ML.

Had me fooled.

Phantombridgejumpe
12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
That is why I think a 'number of tickets' alive update would help.

Of course I don't want people buying in after 3 races have been run.

How a 'wonderful' plot to hit the Breeders Cup failed due to a crazy longshot is
still funny to me.

Stillriledup
12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
That is why I think a 'number of tickets' alive update would help.

Of course I don't want people buying in after 3 races have been run.

How a 'wonderful' plot to hit the Breeders Cup failed due to a crazy longshot is
still funny to me.

This is totally right. Tonight's early Pick 5 at Mountain had a really hard horse to have that won the first race, would have been nice to "follow along". Its good for transparency.

BombsAway Bob
12-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Thunder Roaring in the final race, by a distance.
Showed zero on paper,
and today ran like a ringer and was bet down to 6-5 off a 12-1 ML.

Had me fooled.

C'mon,Man! i was two deep in cheap P5 ticket (*) & used Her.
inside speed stretching back out with top local rider.
Funky ML the only culprit. #NothingToSeeHereMoveAlong

https://twitter.com/BombsawayBob/status/409866477139787776
(*)= the play, time-stamped. I'm no redboarder.

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 12:09 AM
C'mon,Man! i was two deep in cheap P5 ticket (*) & used Her.
inside speed stretching back out with top local rider.
Funky ML the only culprit. #NothingToSeeHereMoveAlong

https://twitter.com/BombsawayBob/status/409866477139787776
(*)= the play, time-stamped. I'm no redboarder.

:D

If she was 6-5 ML, would you have used her?

"inside speed"?

I must have to go back to handicapping school, this horse showed nothing on paper, it did not look like any kind of heavy favorite. (but, im sure it was a "Standout" on a certain poster's pace numbers).

Pensacola Pete
12-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Thunder Roaring's one win was on a good track, same as the one it won on. Also one of the few early horses in the race.... on a night that early won most of the races.

Somebody must have known the horse was ready to go. It got beat to death in the double and to win.

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Thunder Roaring's one win was on a good track, same as the one it won on. Also one of the few early horses in the race.... on a night that early won most of the races.

Somebody must have known the horse was ready to go. It got beat to death in the double and to win.

It got bet as if the bad recent PP lines were throwouts and the people betting the horse knew she was new and improved.

tanner12oz
12-09-2013, 06:06 AM
In a pick 5 or pick 4 sequence all you really need is one or two logical horses in the sequence for people to single and then the illogical impossible horses can be covered on the cheap. I still agree though that mnr is the wild west of racing. I was alive for something like 22k in a pick 4 that parlayed like 300 bucks a few months ago....i nearly fell off my couch when I saw the will pays...loser of course buy good payouts vs. Bad payouts are hit or miss there..
ya seriously never know what your gonna get

mountainman
12-09-2013, 08:27 AM

If she was 6-5 ML, would you have used her?

"inside speed"?

I must have to go back to handicapping school, this horse showed nothing on paper, it did not look like any kind of heavy favorite. (but, im sure it was a "Standout" on a certain poster's pace numbers).

Ran btl sprinting against the grain on an extremely biased track when in with an outstanding winner in latest. Much prefers two-turns, won msw this year. I stated on air that her recent represented "camouflaged" improvement for new trainer.

In addition, the track was strongly pro- speed and somewhat inside-biased last night. Lastly, I picked the horse on top without hesitation, and that often moves the tote.

jk3521
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I had two of the other longshots on the program , saw the way the track was playing, and readjusted my handicapping strategy, so the last race winner was no surprise. The only surprise was Londono tipping by switching to Rivera. He booted home two other horses earlier in the program with the same tactic he used there. If a handicapper could know ahead of time how the track conditions would be at Mountaineer, he could make out very well there.It's not weather conditions...it's track conditions. That track will ways be a mystery to me.

mountainman
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
I had two of the other longshots on the program , saw the way the track was playing, and readjusted my handicapping strategy, so the last race winner was no surprise. The only surprise was Londono tipping by switching to Rivera. He booted home two other horses earlier in the program with the same tactic he used there. If a handicapper could know ahead of time how the track conditions would be at Mountaineer, he could make out very well there.It's not weather conditions...it's track conditions. That track will ways be a mystery to me.

Warmer temps were a hint the strip would play differently than the night before. It looked less clodded and freeze-dried, so I alerted viewers to this distinct possibility before the first. Since early winter set in several weeks ago, fast clockings have indicated pro-speed,pro-rail tendencies, while slow times have favored wide-ralliers.

Beyond early detection, strong biases so common lately have led to seeming reversals of form as horses eliminated by the grain run back under favorable (or neutral) conditions. This occured several times last night.

jk3521
12-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Warmer temps were a hint the strip would play differently than the night before. It looked less clodded and freeze-dried, so I alerted viewers to this distinct possibility before the first. Since early winter set in several weeks ago, fast clockings have indicated pro-speed,pro-rail tendencies, while slow times have favored wide-ralliers.

Beyond early detection, strong biases so common lately have led to seeming reversals of form as horses eliminated by the grain run back under favorable (or neutral) conditions. This occured several times last night.

Mark,

Any info on how the track may be playing tonight, how's the weather? Or should I say how might the track be?

mountainman
12-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Mark,

Any info on how the track may be playing tonight, how's the weather? Or should I say how might the track be?
With temps rising well into 30's, chances are rail-speed will have edge again. Much depends on how much frozen moisture melts, and how maintenance crew deals with it. Just walked out there from my dungeon office, and strip beginning to thaw. Would expect wet conditions. Suspect that higher temps not completely resonsible for sat-sun transformation of grain....they probably scraped the rail.

mountainman
12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Sloppy now.

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Sloppy now.

Great call and analysis on the winner in the finale, kudos, well done.

Hopefully the track isnt too biased tonight, the nations eyes are on your place tonight, its the only game in town for the most part!

jk3521
12-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Sloppy now.

Good Luck to us all !

Stillriledup
12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Good Luck to us all !
Lets hope they don't get a little wet and cancel after the first race.

rrpic6
12-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Ran btl sprinting against the grain on an extremely biased track when in with an outstanding winner in latest. Much prefers two-turns, won msw this year. I stated on air that her recent represented "camouflaged" improvement for new trainer.

In addition, the track was strongly pro- speed and somewhat inside-biased last night. Lastly, I picked the horse on top without hesitation, and that often moves the tote.

I'm still sleepless from leaving out #9 Guska's Gold in Race 7 in Pick 4 and Pick 5 tix. Poor Trainer, laid off, no workouts, outside post drove me away. A casual capper wouldn't have been thinking so much and just added him. Sometimes I think too much....hence the 24 hour headache. Of course I had the other winners in the sequence to cash ZERO!

RR

Mineshaft
12-09-2013, 07:46 PM
The track was definitely fast I can vouch for that

mountainman
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm still sleepless from leaving out #9 Guska's Gold in Race 7 in Pick 4 and Pick 5 tix. Poor Trainer, laid off, no workouts, outside post drove me away. A casual capper wouldn't have been thinking so much and just added him. Sometimes I think too much....hence the 24 hour headache. Of course I had the other winners in the sequence to cash ZERO!

RR

Isn't it tricky to weigh a longshot's obvious flaws against some conceivable scenario for victory? In this case, the 9 became lone speed-on an extremely speed-biased track-when the class-dropping chalk showed up too deteriorated to flash his customary zip.

Was this scenario likely to play out? I don't think so. But looking back now, did the odds make it worth the reach? Maybe. Whatever the case, it sounds like you handicapped the gimmick well.

cj
12-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Pretty crazy biases at Mnr this week on my numbers...two Closer+ and three Speed+ in the last 6 race days.

mountainman
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Pretty crazy biases at Mnr this week on my numbers...two Closer+ and three Speed+ in the last 6 race days.

Yeah. Wild weather and maintenance- induced swings.

Stillriledup
12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Cancelled for Dec 10.

Good grief, i wasted time handicapping this place and they just can't run?

:bang:

JimG
12-10-2013, 06:53 PM
It is extremely annoying to get notice of cancellation at 10mtp. I understand weather related problems but waiting until this close to post is another example of how horse race management/trainers/ jockeys are alienating their customers.

Jim

Stillriledup
12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
It is extremely annoying to get notice of cancellation at 10mtp. I understand weather related problems but waiting until this close to post is another example of how horse race management/trainers/ jockeys are alienating their customers.

Jim

Couldnt agree more. If you dont want to run, say so early in the day. We get it if you're soft, there's no law against being soft, but don't drag me out making me waste my time looking at races you dont' plan on running.

Stillriledup
12-26-2013, 09:15 PM
No matter what happens, no matter how impossible the sequence is, someone is always alive for the pool to multiple horses, heading into leg 5.

And yet, nobody will ever look into this, to see who's name shows up as cashing these tickets.

Wouldnt you do a little digging if this was YOUR track?

:eek:

What a surprise, someone hits the pick 5, yet the pick 4 goes unhit.

Again.

Stillriledup
03-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Looks like Mountain moved the late pick 5 to race 5?

So, i'm guessing nobody hit the early pick 5 and that money carries to the next racing day?

AlbertButtry
03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
With 9 races they can't have an early and a late p5 since it is a carryover wager. Once they go back to ten I assume it will be the 1st and 6 th again.

Stillriledup
03-03-2014, 09:17 PM
With 9 races they can't have an early and a late p5 since it is a carryover wager. Once they go back to ten I assume it will be the 1st and 6 th again.

My bad, i thought there was a pick 5 in the first 5 races tonight, you're right, seems like only one per night now.

tanner12oz
03-04-2014, 06:20 AM
I noticed this as well...i also noticed the quality if horses being a lil better since we are just starting the meet

mountainman
03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
With the locals not quite ready (after the rough winter) and some vacancies on the backside right now, we're very dependent on shippers.

Stillriledup
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
With the locals not quite ready (after the rough winter) and some vacancies on the backside right now, we're very dependent on shippers.

I know this has probably been asked and answered already, but why not, i'll toss it out there again.

Mountain seems to be one of the few tracks that has very few "recorded" workouts. If you see a 3F work in 41, that seems to be all a horse needs to be dead fit. Are there actually horses working out at this place and they just go unreported? If a racing fan shows up at the Mountain at 6am and sits there watching the track for a couple hours, will he (or she) see anything of note, or will it be a rare sighting to see a horse actually working out?

Also, the vacancies, have some trainers left? Or, where the kicked out for "bad behavior"?

Chris Longshot
03-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I know this has probably been asked and answered already, but why not, i'll toss it out there again.

Mountain seems to be one of the few tracks that has very few "recorded" workouts. If you see a 3F work in 41, that seems to be all a horse needs to be dead fit. Are there actually horses working out at this place and they just go unreported? If a racing fan shows up at the Mountain at 6am and sits there watching the track for a couple hours, will he (or she) see anything of note, or will it be a rare sighting to see a horse actually working out?

Also, the vacancies, have some trainers left? Or, where the kicked out for "bad behavior"?

Yes absolutely SRU every time I visited that Mountain always got up a few mornings to watch the horses workout...I recommend it to people that visit the exercise riders are a trip they will even yell out to you something funny from time to time...

dirty moose
03-04-2014, 10:47 PM

Mark what's it gonna take to get you on twitter? Nancy too. Love the nightly commentary!

mountainman
03-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Mark what's it gonna take to get you on twitter? Nancy too. Love the nightly commentary!

tx, man.....lots of players have urged me to tweet.. and I'd love to..but I'm too outspoken for my own good..i'd go too far...tweet something too blunt or controversial...inevitably, I'd land in hot water...no way in the world I wouldn't

dirty moose
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
tx, man.....lots of players have urged me to tweet.. and I'd love to..but I'm too outspoken for my own good..i'd go too far...tweet something too blunt or controversial...inevitably, I'd land in hot water...no way in the world I wouldn't

Ha! We have at least one thing in common. I'm the exact same way.