PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak fired

Clocker
12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Just breaking on ESPN, Gary Kubiak has been fired as Texans head coach.

tucker6
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Really, what is the point in firing someone with a couple games to go? The only reason I can think of his that the owner wants a college coach. Otherwise, it's just a macho thing. As for Kubiak, he didn't get 10 losses dumber this year over last year all by himself. He'll get another shot like Andy Reid did. His illness combined with bad QB play made this a lost year.

Clocker
12-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Really, what is the point in firing someone with a couple games to go? The only reason I can think of his that the owner wants a college coach. Otherwise, it's just a macho thing.

Sounds like a Donald Trump moment. If you can't do something productive, just do something. "You're fired!"

The analysts on ESPN are talking about the need to get a new QB, and the good crop available in the coming draft.

The owner is blathering about giving the rookie QB a better opportunity to show his talent.

NJ Stinks
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Gary Kubiak seemed really relaxed during last night's game. Maybe he knew the firing was coming and sent Schaub into the game as a last "screw you" to the owner.

At any rate, the move will probably be a healthy one for Kubiak in the long run.

Marshall Bennett
12-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Really, what is the point in firing someone with a couple games to go? The only reason I can think of his that the owner wants a college coach. Otherwise, it's just a macho thing. As for Kubiak, he didn't get 10 losses dumber this year over last year all by himself. He'll get another shot like Andy Reid did. His illness combined with bad QB play made this a lost year.
Not many owners would allow an NFL coach the time McNair gave this one to right the ship. Kubiak should have been gone a month ago.
Of course a coach doesn't lose 11 straight by himself, but it's his responsibility to see it doesn't happen and to make adjustments. Aside from changing quarterbacks, this coach did nothing. I'd be shocked if any other NFL team wanted him after his performance here this year. A total and complete collapse of any will to win by his players. No other way a team this talented loses 11 straight games.

tucker6
12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Not many owners would allow an NFL coach the time McNair gave this one to right the ship. Kubiak should have been gone a month ago.
Of course a coach doesn't lose 11 straight by himself, but it's his responsibility to see it doesn't happen and to make adjustments. Aside from changing quarterbacks, this coach did nothing. I'd be shocked if any other NFL team wanted him after his performance here this year. A total and complete collapse of any will to win by his players. No other way a team this talented loses 11 straight games.
You just described Andy Reid from last year. Almost to a tee. This year, he new team starts 9-0. You are giving too much credit and blame to the coach. Kubiak will certainly land a head coaching job next year. The real shock is if Houston wins more than four games next year under new leadership.

PhantomOnTour
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
You just described Andy Reid from last year. Almost to a tee. This year, he new team starts 9-0. You are giving too much credit and blame to the coach. Kubiak will certainly land a head coaching job next year. The real shock is if Houston wins more than four games next year under new leadership.
I don't believe the Kubiak - Reid analogy is a good one.
Reid has been to the Super Bowl and numerous NFC title games.
Kubiak can claim none of that. In fact, he is a sub .500 coach.

He was kept on this long because of his health scare earlier in the season.
Else, he woulda been gone awhile ago.

Clocker
12-06-2013, 06:04 PM
The real shock is if Houston wins more than four games next year under new leadership.

The early favorite is Lovey Smith. I haven't followed the Texans, but talk last night and today indicates that the owner is high on the rookie QB and that the veteran backup QB Matt Schaub is assumed to be gone at the end of the season.

Robert Goren
12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
He has won a lot of games over the years without a decent QB. Houston will be drafting a QB. I have a feeling bad things are in store for Houston. I don't think there is much real talent there and what there is getting old fast. I always thought that Kubiak was the master of smoke and mirrors. This year the mirror broke. I think Kubiak takes a year off or maybe goes into broadcasting. His health can't be good.

Robert Goren
12-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I have read in a couple of places that Houston will try to hire Stanford coach David Shaw. I guess Pac-12 coaches are the in-thing now.