PDA

View Full Version : Our Favorite Angles

sq764
12-07-2001, 09:29 PM
I am always entertained (and somtimes enlightened) by the variety of angles people use on their own. I was curious what some of the personal favorites were..

For me, I like a couple:

- Multiple workouts since the last race (particularly if the last race is within 45 days)

- Top jock staying on horse after horrible effort

- And my favorite.. Everywhere I look, they seem to preach closers in turf races, I like to ditch that theory. True, closers are usually flying late in turf races, but I cannot count the number of times I have been to Delaware Park or Monmouth and see a lower class speed horse wire the field at HUGE odds.

Scott

andicap
12-07-2001, 10:20 PM
My favorite:

-3 yr old or lightly raced 4 year old who has just hit a new top by a small margin, 3-5 weeks since that race, look for a big improvement.

BIG HIT
12-08-2001, 08:38 AM
Hi guys.The one i like best is horrible last race and a bullet work or at least a solid work before last race.Today same class or lower

Tom
12-08-2001, 10:20 AM
A couple I like a lot are:

Horse is dropping in class, last race horse showed early speed, today, it gets a better rider or a rider tht has won with it in the past (ala Mark Cramer)

The other one I like is the horse that projects to get a clear early lead today (figs, velocity, whatever,)
has won on the lead in the past, and did not have the lead last race.

Tom

JimG
12-08-2001, 10:26 AM
I love a horse shortening up from 7f to 6f after showing an even running line the last race within 4 lenghts of lead horse at 1st call. Assuming of course horse fits in otherwise.

Also, I love a claim-back. A horse that ran well for a trainer and later claimed, then claimed back by the original trainer.

Jim

ridersup
12-09-2001, 08:29 AM
My favorite angle has got to be a horse stretching out from sprint to route for the first time. Horse should show an even running style i.e. Bris rating of 80 80 80 with a poor finnish in his last race i.e. 5th by 5 lengths.
He should also possess breeding showing distance in his pedigree.

This angle goes against one of my favorite bet against caveats of racing that says NEVER bet that a horse will do something he has never done before. Kinda like NEVER box enactas, or NEVER bet a horse that has not run in 30 days.

andicap
12-09-2001, 11:29 PM
I've heard that "NEVER BET ON A HORSE...." expression used mainly for favorites. Never bet on a favorite to do something for the first time. That seems like decent advice to me.

superfecta
12-10-2001, 01:41 AM
One angle I like is when a Favorite has a beyer fig that is out of wack.If he has a high fig and switching distance,or maybe has a good fig and you can tell by the pace # he was lucky to hold on,or switching surfaces,or you know by past experience that fig doesn't transfer to another track,or the guy figuring the Beyer has no clue...stuff like that.

John
12-10-2001, 06:25 PM
I like this one....Up in class last out and today drops below the class of the second race back. Good prices too.