PDA

View Full Version : Fore! a recent court ruling of interest

DJofSD
12-04-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/11/essex_judge_says_golfing_partners_are_not_responsi ble_for_someone_elses_mulligan.html

NEWARK — James Corino needed multiple procedures to restore vision to his right eye after he was struck by an errant mulligan as he prepared to hit a shot from the 15th fairway at Sparta’s Skyview Golf Course two years ago.

The trouble was, in a clear violation of golfing rules and etiquette, no one bothered to yell “fore,” Corino claims.

More at the link.

FYI. For those whom do not play, there is a subtle error in the article:
What Corino says he didn’t know was that Duffy took a provisional shot – also known as a mulligan, a courtesy do-over recreational golfers can give one another after a shot goes awry, perhaps landing in a lake or surrounding woods.

There is a difference between a provisional shot and a mulligan.

A mulligan, as described, is a do-over. Typically, it is during a friendly round when no one is really concerned about a score. It was a bad shot and either the ball is lost or is a bad place. The player just wants to play, and perhaps, keep the game moving instead of spending time walking to the correct place to look for the ball or to take a drop. He just tees up or drops another ball then takes another stroke. No added strokes are recorded on the scorecard.

A provisional shot is part of the rules and is allowed. Basically, it is taken if there is a chance a ball will not be found or will be unplayable. It is a way to save some time by not having to go back to the spot where the prior stroke was taken. Again, this is covered in the rules but the important point is if the 2nd ball is the ball played, it is not a give-me, you take additional strokes.

Playing a provisional ball is allowed under tournament play, and, if you are having a serious match where, oh, maybe there are some bucks involved, you will want to adhere more closely to the rules. Playing by the rules will eliminate having any fights or being attacked with a club.

tucker6
12-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Is yelling "fore" a golf rule? I know it's an etiquette thing, but am not sure that it's a rule. Besides, if the offending golfer can't see another golfer in his line of sight, then he's not going to shout out fore. As with all golf incidents, the offenders homeowners policy will cover the cost.

DJofSD
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Etiquette/

In the section titled "Safety":

Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.

Players should not play until the players in front are out of range.

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such situations is “fore.”

Given the above is within the section I of the rules, I think the answer is yes.

cj
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
If someone never wants to golf with me again (very possible), just take a mulligan.

Bettowin
12-05-2013, 01:50 PM
If someone never wants to golf with me again (very possible), just take a mulligan.

Even your wife or children when you are out to have leisurely game?

NJ Stinks
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I've taken more than my share of mulligans over the 9 years I've played golf. Mainly because I want to improve my game. But....

1. Never if the group behind me is waiting.
2. Never without permission from my playing partners.
3. Never in any kind of contest including a Texas Scramble or under Stableford rules.

Hey, I've only broke 100 twice. I need more practice under game conditions! :) Of course, it goes without saying that the more I improve - the fewer mulligans I take.

As for this case, I don't want the plaintiff to win. I feel bad for the guy but it was a freak accident. Plus I heard the guy who hit the ball couldn't see the guy who got hit because trees were in the way. Most golfers may not yell "Fore" if they think nobody is in danger.

cj
12-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Even your wife or children when you are out to have leisurely game?

They don't golf.

TJDave
12-05-2013, 08:04 PM
They don't golf.

You married well. ;)

Every few years my wife asks to play. We never manage to get around to it.

Delta Cone
12-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Yes! No mulligans. And putt everything out. No gimmes.

cj
12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes! No mulligans. And putt everything out. No gimmes.

I agree.

I understand people that take mulligans, no big deal. I've just always been very competitive when I play sports. I really don't care what people do when I golf in the same group as long as they aren't slow, and as long as we aren't competing.