PDA

View Full Version : You are too Obsessed with Racing..

iceknight
12-03-2013, 12:02 PM
when you go to look up a movie and you type equibase.com into the address bar instead of imdb.com :blush:

What kind of stories do you have when you do something or say something related to horses when the topic or question posed is in a completely different field?

tanner12oz
12-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Call to post ringtone and alarm...guilty

dasch
12-03-2013, 01:13 PM
When the first thing you think of in the morning is....I wonder if the late scratches are out for (fill in the blank with your track)

mountainman
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
When you fall asleep most nights while handicapping the next day's card from a laptop propped on pillows.

QuarterCrack
12-03-2013, 01:27 PM
When you fall asleep most nights while handicapping the next day's card from a laptop propped on pillows.

Haha, guilty of this one!

notoutofpounds
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
When I hear random numbers like 109 in a non racing situation and think "that is a good time for six furlongs."

thaskalos
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
You go to the gas station, and, instead of telling the cashier that you want $40 on pump #3...you tell him "forty to win on three".

Happend to me last week.

mountainman
12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
You go to the gas station, and, instead of telling the cashier that you want $40 on pump #3...you tell him "forty to win on three".

Happend to me last week.

lol.... I often answer my home phone with: "racing office."

jahura2
12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
When you are actually excited about the opening of the Tampa Bay winter meet and really looking forward to the "new" River Downs next summer.

mountainman
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
When I hear random numbers like 109 in a non racing situation and think "that is a good time for six furlongs."

OMG, DUDE..I set the microwave to match various splits and distances...47...1:07...1:38...and picture a horse hitting the wire when the bell goes off...(yes, the route horse in my microwave is much better than the sprinters)

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 01:39 PM
This is something that I did nearly four years ago, and to be honest, do not really think that things have gotten any different. :blush: :D
www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=829756&highlight=pump#post829756 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=829756&highlight=pump#post829756)

elhelmete
12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
OMG, DUDE..I set the microwave to match various splits and distances...47...1:07...1:38...and picture a horse hitting the wire when the bell goes off...(yes, the route horse in my microwave is much better than the sprinters)

I do this with the various numbers on the treadmill (time, steps, calories, etc.)

magwell
12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
When you wake up from the sound of a heavy rain and first things comes to mind is "off the turf" today, must do those races over......;)

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
When you can either take the time to eat breakfast or get to the track or otb site before the first races go off, but do not have time to do both. You choose to go hungry and get there, even though you have no interest at all in those early races and intend to pass them.

dasch
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
When you are in the middle of a nice Saturday afternoon card and you see that the entries have been drawn for Thursday and you HAVE to look at the pp's RIGHT THEN

devilsbag
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I have a microwave that times in fifths.

RacingFan1992
12-03-2013, 03:00 PM
When someone says I year I automatically say who won the derby preakness and belmont.

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 03:24 PM
When considering and researching a possible new location to move to, one of the first things I do is find out where the nearest racetrack or Otb site is, and how far away and how long it will take to get there.

rastajenk
12-03-2013, 03:28 PM
When I was first becoming immersed in this, I noticed I was getting all my news of the outside world from the two or three column-inches of small type on Page 2 of the Form.

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM
When I realized that had I spent as much time studying college textbooks as I had studying the Daily Racing Form, I would have easily earned advanced degrees in my chosen field many decades ago.

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 03:59 PM
When that kid from Auburn returned the missed field goal attempt 109 yards to beat Alabama last Saturday, that was one of first things that went through my mind. :D

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
You step up to the food counter and order a burger & fries...and fries & a burger.

ya gotta box that combo

CincyHorseplayer
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
When you get into an argument with family,friend,girlfriend,about one thing and they bitch about you talking about horseracing!

This happened to me about 6 years ago.Now since becoming more introverted and withdrawn and not talking for days at times(dumped the girlfriend),they sure love when I talk period! :D

CincyHorseplayer
12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
When you watch race replays at 3 am,sometimes repeatedly and still get fired up!

nijinski
12-03-2013, 07:01 PM
When you update your password at work every 90 days
to a new horse .

Robert Goren
12-03-2013, 07:07 PM
The first thing I do in the morning after openning my can of Pepsi, I check paceadvantage.com. The second thing I do is check the local obits. Pretty sad!

CincyHorseplayer
12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
When you update your password at work every 90 days
to a new horse .

Screen savers for me!

TheEdge07
12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
When you say no to yr wife or husband in order to handicap..

BlueShoe
12-03-2013, 07:23 PM
When you say no to yr wife or husband in order to handicap..
When you do not answer the phone because you're too busy handicapping.

iceknight
12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
When I hear random numbers like 109 in a non racing situation and think "that is a good time for six furlongs." yeah I do that often! Thask and Blueshoe... too funny! 20 to win on pump 3

Delta Cone
12-03-2013, 07:44 PM
When everyday events are described in racing terms...

You golf 18 holes, shooting 38-48... "Speed, stopped." Shoot the opposite way, 48-38, then you were Silky Sullivan.

Your fantasy football team is up by 50 points midway through the Thursday game? "Moving like a tremendous machine."

A no-look, behind-the-back toss of a dirty sock into the hamper? "Here is Arcangues to win it in an absolute shocker! He's 99 to 1!"

fiveouttasix
12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
When your wife puts your nephews Wedding date on the calendar & it's the first Saturday of October 2014 & the 1st thing that comes to mind...Is that Opening day at Keeneland? made the mistake of saying that out loud

PoloUK6108
12-03-2013, 11:01 PM
When you read this thread, thinking you're about to post about how crazy obsessed you are with racing, only to find out how bad it can really get... :eek: :lol:

wiffleball whizz
12-03-2013, 11:17 PM
When I see 1pm on the sports center clock and I'm at work I think my life is going nowhere cuz I'm not at the track

When sweating a inquiry is a better time then being with your girlfriend

NJ Stinks
12-03-2013, 11:32 PM
When I would not go to a vacation destination that didn't include racing. (Dog racing qualified.)

:blush:

cj
12-03-2013, 11:52 PM
You can't believe they don't run on Christmas at Calder any longer.

Stillriledup
12-04-2013, 12:09 AM
You can't believe they don't run on Christmas at Calder any longer.

Everyone is so worried about being PC these days, any track who ran on X Mas would have cornered the market on handle. The NBA plays 5 games on X Mas, they don't take a day off, but the racetracks do. Vegas doesnt take a day off, if you want to wager on NBA games on Dec 25th, you can. (with Free admission and Free parking)

CincyHorseplayer
12-04-2013, 01:02 AM

Happend to me last week.

That's too funny!I think I've actually done that before too because there is a gas station right by the track I always stop at on the way home.Still got the adrenalin goin a few hours after the races!

speed
12-04-2013, 01:49 AM
When you frequently perform sexual favors in the men's room of your local OTB so you have money to play the late double at Beulah. And when you announce your desire to make this happen by yelling, "Wow, Beulah blows!" :blush:
TMI :lol:

BlueShoe
12-04-2013, 02:29 AM
When your wife or steady girlfriend lays down the ultimatum that goes something like this, "Which is more important to you, me or those damn horses? Today we go to my mother's. If you go to the track, don't bother coming back", and your response is "Now where did I put my Form? Better get going, really like the early double at Aqueduct, and it's a very good card at Santa Anita."

johnhannibalsmith
12-04-2013, 02:42 AM
When you constantly refer to the low tire as being on the "right hind" of the car.

newtothegame
12-04-2013, 03:00 AM
When your wife or steady girlfriend lays down the ultimatum that goes something like this, "Which is more important to you, me or those damn horses? Today we go to my mother's. If you go to the track, don't bother coming back", and your response is "Now where did I put my Form? Better get going, really like the early double at Aqueduct, and it's a very good card at Santa Anita."
Oh come on Blue..lol, I know there's a country song in here somewhere ....lol

tanner12oz
12-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Playing derby future pool 1..lol

dkithore
12-04-2013, 09:07 AM
When you can either take the time to eat breakfast or get to the track or otb site before the first races go off, but do not have time to do both. You choose to go hungry and get there, even though you have no interest at all in those early races and intend to pass them.
Definitely. I can relate.

cj
12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Everyone is so worried about being PC these days, any track who ran on X Mas would have cornered the market on handle. The NBA plays 5 games on X Mas, they don't take a day off, but the racetracks do. Vegas doesnt take a day off, if you want to wager on NBA games on Dec 25th, you can. (with Free admission and Free parking)

That, or of course more likely, it was a financial loser.

BlueShoe
12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
While driving your automobile, you think about various traffic and driving situations in racing terms. A sudden unexpected stop becomes, "Forced to take up sharply." Heavy slow traffic means "Blocked, no room." When you step on it and pass several vehicles at once in a quick burst of speed, you are "Making a strong mid race move." When you change to the outer lane on a long curve to pass slower vehicles inside you, you are "Going first over and making a strong brush." When driving at a high rate on the highway and leaving the other drivers behind you, you are not speeding, but "Opening up a big early lead."

elhelmete
12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
During my commute I habitually look for license plates whose 3-letters make up a track abbreviation.

cj
12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
You dump uVerse and get Dish Network just because TVG was removed.

BlueShoe
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Just as a sidenote, serious Blackjack card counters do this too. For example, they see a 65 mph speed limit sign and say to themselves, "Six five, the count is plus two." ;)

JohnGalt1
12-04-2013, 04:25 PM
This actually happened. A cousin invited me to his wedding on the date the last Claiming Crown was held at Canterbury.

The wedding was 5 hours away from where I live.

I'm sure the family and attendees, if they cared, said how come I couldn't make it. And were told "he went to the race track."

If I would've felt guilty for not going didn't because I won $1200 that day.

I at least sent a gift.

therussmeister
12-04-2013, 05:34 PM
This happened to a friend. Had his gall bladder removed and only missed one day of live racing. And this is back when they were running five days per week.

notoutofpounds
12-04-2013, 10:35 PM
This happened ........

I was mooching a lift to work with my leadfoot little sister once upon a time. We were running late and found ourselves slowly moving in traffic. Being a gambler I rolled the dice and added some unnecessary and unwanted race call sounding commentary to describe our commute. I was trying to sound like the Northlands announcer, but kind of loud. It went something like this:

Black Saturn .... boxed senselessly .....

Black Saturn .... screaming for room on the rail ....

Black Saturn ..... all dressed up and nowhere to go ....

At this point I was prepared to be shoved out of a moving car, told to shut up, or
almost anything except her actual response......

"CALL ME OUT OF IT"

Grits
12-04-2013, 10:39 PM
When you get a speeding ticket going 90mph about ten miles from your Saratoga exit off the NY Thruway.

appistappis
12-05-2013, 01:08 AM
when you are at the airport in vegas and a lady falls off the moving escalator and as people rush to help her you yell at your friends "she stumbles out of the gate."

Tara73
12-05-2013, 01:44 AM
When you follow NY racing and get confused which day it is because they raced on Monday and were dark on Wednesday.

rastajenk
12-05-2013, 07:01 AM
During my commute I habitually look for license plates whose 3-letters make up a track abbreviation.
I saw one yesterday...FON...I wondered if that person had ever heard of Fonner Park.

iceknight
01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
While driving your automobile, you think about various traffic and driving situations in racing terms. A sudden unexpected stop becomes, "Forced to take up sharply." Heavy slow traffic means "Blocked, no room." When you step on it and pass several vehicles at once in a quick burst of speed, you are "Making a strong mid race move." When you change to the outer lane on a long curve to pass slower vehicles inside you, you are "Going first over and making a strong brush." When driving at a high rate on the highway and leaving the other drivers behind you, you are not speeding, but "Opening up a big early lead." This is so true, this is the only way I drive nowadays! Not only that, colors of the other cars on the road are now jockey caps/silks for me now

EMD4ME
01-28-2014, 08:51 PM
While driving your automobile, you think about various traffic and driving situations in racing terms. A sudden unexpected stop becomes, "Forced to take up sharply." Heavy slow traffic means "Blocked, no room." When you step on it and pass several vehicles at once in a quick burst of speed, you are "Making a strong mid race move." When you change to the outer lane on a long curve to pass slower vehicles inside you, you are "Going first over and making a strong brush." When driving at a high rate on the highway and leaving the other drivers behind you, you are not speeding, but "Opening up a big early lead."

I must admit I am guilty of this. Most often I pat myself on the back for looking 2 to 3 moves ahead and carrying out my perfectly devised strategy to get a head of all vehicles all the time. As I blow by the field I think of Jerry Bailey's ride on Grindstone, where he had the whole field's tendencies and racing silks memorized and used that to his advantage while he made 11 or so consecutive right calls.

I also curse out all drivers who make obviously stupid moves (dart to the left lane and slam on the brakes while no one is ahead of them & I'm quickly approaching behind him/her) as stupid Cornelios (one of the dumbest and most STUBBORN mental midgets that you will ever find on a race horse)

jballscalls
01-28-2014, 09:06 PM
when you refer to your friends girlfriend as "the big mare" and she hears you.

when you're bored and check twitter just to see what BombsAwayBob played in the Aqueduct Grand Slam wager.

when you tell your girlfriend to hold off on 'play time' because you're live in a Pick 4 and the final leg is at the post.

when you refer to a pregnant woman as being "in foal"

Track Phantom
01-28-2014, 09:13 PM
There are 3 things I do that make me feel a bit uneasy about the time I invest in this game:

When I'm sitting in the passenger seat of a car and we're behind a slow car and I tell the driver to "go around this horse" (done that more than once).
I can recall EXACTLY were I was on a specific date and time 25-30 years ago based on the winner of a certain race (for example, on 9-27-87 at around 7:00 PM, I was one of only 3 people (all 3 in our group) sitting near the final turn at CBY. The reason is we had a 9-1 winner, Diabolo Royale, in a race we never forgot. I have about 200 of those races in which I can place myself at an exact spot at a specific date and time).
Every year we drive from Austin, TX to Maplewood, MN for Xmas holidays. I always plan the trip and drive time around certain tracks that are running. When my better half is driving, I'll have my Wi-Fi device and laptop or notebook and play the races in the car, and she is none the wiser. (Reminds me of a bad story though. About 4 years ago, I was trying to hit submit on a bet at FG but we were in a bad area and it dropped my connection. Took about 15 minutes for it to come back, just in time to see my .30c super came in (I was shut out) and it paid $1,100 for a dime. It sucks being red in the face, steam shooting out of your ears, but you can't tell the person in the car the details and gotta act like nothing is wrong (she's not a huge racing fan)).

bugboy
01-28-2014, 09:35 PM
tanner, where can I get the call to post for my phone??thanks

appistappis
01-28-2014, 10:52 PM
when a guy has a heart attack at your craps table and after he is removed someone asked what happened to him and you say "vanned off"

iceknight
01-29-2014, 08:14 AM
There are 3 things I do that make me feel a bit uneasy about the time I invest in this game:

When I'm sitting in the......ve time around certain tracks that are running. When my better half is driving, I'll have my Wi-Fi device and laptop or notebook and play the races in the car, and she is none the wiser. (Reminds me of a bad story though. About 4 years ago, I was trying to hit submit on a bet at FG but we were in a bad area and it dropped my connection. Took about 15 minutes for it to come back, just in time to see my .30c super came in (I was shut out) and it paid $1,100 for a dime. It sucks being red in the face, steam shooting out of your ears, but you can't tell the person in the car the details and gotta act like nothing is wrong (she's not a huge racing fan)).
except that when we end up punching it through or submitting it, a lot of times it does not go our way! :lol: :bang:

KidCapper
01-29-2014, 09:32 AM
With the Winter Olympics coming up, my brother and I goof off by betting Exacta's n Tri's in short-track speed skating. There always seems to be a lot of "Shocking incidents of bumping" in that sport & the stewards can take you down there. :)