PDA

View Full Version : Timeform figures

ceejay
03-25-2004, 09:14 PM
I've always thought that Timeform #'s were like speed figs (but very class-driven), and convert them to Beyer's by subtracting about 12.

I'm looking at the Dubai World cup figures and found someting odd. On 22 Feb 04 Admire Don beat Silent deal by 1/2 length in the February Stakes in Tokyo. As reported by DRF, Admire Don (the winner) got a 117 TF to Silent Deal's 122!

depalma13
03-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I think the 122 is a mistake.

The Racing Post gives him a 113 RPR and Admire Don a 114 RPR those numbers are usually pretty close to the Timeforms. The 122 seems way off.

Zman179
03-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Ceejay, from what I've noticed by betting on and watching hundreds of European races, they build in other factors into their ratings. Like they take into account the weight differences amongst the competitors, post position (if there was a barrier draw disadvantage) and the horse's trip and they'll build it into the number. So it is not uncommon to see a losing horse that has a higher rating than the winner.

In regards to whether the 122 was too high or not, unless one actually watched the race it would be impossible to speculate one way or the other. It does say that Silent Deal was boxed in and might've steadied as a result. They added the horse's problems into the number in both the Racing Post and Timeform.

And Timeform numbers IMO are way better than Racing Post numbers, by far.