PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Saturday, 11/30

MeSlew
11-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Hello All! For Saturday 11/30, Gulfstream Park kicks off the winter meeting and "officially" opens winter racing:

Aqueduct - 1,3,4,7,8,10
Hollywood - 1,2,3,4,6,8,9
Churchill - 1,12
Gulfstream - 4,7,8,9,10
Woodbine - 3,5,6,7,8
Calder - 6
Fairgrounds - 4,6,7,8
Parx - 6

By far, the race of the day is the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct, which goes as race #8 on the 10 race card. And let's say, just for the sake of argument that Groupie Doll needs not convince us that she can run a terrific race. And let's say, we cut her a break. After her BC win, she deserves it. So let's give her the day off.

Goldencents comes up as a double entry on Slew's list and rightly so. After a morning move of :59-2 on Oct. 25, he went on to smoke the competition in the BC with a 1:35 mile effort. That is, after a 1/2 in :44-3. One has to wonder if that effort took some starch out of his laundry, but he came back to work the exact same time on Nov. 20 at SA and now looks to make it 2 in a row by winning this one. There is quite a bit of speed in this event and so at the top of Slew's list is Private Zone off his Belmont win in the Vosburgh. This Macho Uno gelding will be ridden by Martin Pedroza and like Goldencents, trained by Doug O'Neill. At 15-1, if he can hang around long enough to give Goldencents a run for his money, the O'Neill exacta could be worth a try.

As a 3rd horse, I'll include Laugh Track who could possibly take advantage of a rapid pace in this first ever try at the mile distance. By Distorted Humor, and with experience at the 1 1/16 mile distance, this should not be a problem for the sprinting closer. And with Mike Smith in the irons and a 12-1 ML, any combination of the 3 will make for an interesting exacta and trifecta.

Those three horses are at the top of Slew's list for the Cigar Mile, and I'm stickin' with them. Now in the spirit of full disclosure, I have to earn a living on Saturday and will miss this one. But after some nice success with Slew's listing on Thanksgiving, I left a little bit in the account to play this race and will phone in a few wagers using the above three horses. Nothing major, but I want to be there in case Slew is on the money with this one.

Enjoy the Saturday racing...good luck and good 'capping!

overthehill
11-30-2013, 05:11 AM
I was struck by the ml on verazzano. I think 8-1 would be a steal for a horse who is coming back home and who only has lost one race that wasnt longer than a mile and 1/8. but its a tough race I think several horses are contenders and could win including laughing track and golden . I think laughing could ambush this field at a big price if vz doesnt fire.

MeSlew
11-30-2013, 07:28 AM
I was struck by the ml on verazzano. I think 8-1 would be a steal for a horse who is coming back home and who only has lost one race that wasnt longer than a mile and 1/8. but its a tough race I think several horses are contenders and could win including laughing track and golden . I think laughing could ambush this field at a big price if vz doesnt fire.

OTH: Funny that you mention that. I started to write a last paragraph saying that back in the spring, who would have thought that VZ would be 'out of the discussion' in November!!! But then removed it as sort of off topic. But it is true. A a tough race and he would have to rise from the ashes, so to speak. No strong win opinion here. If Goldencents gets any kind of easy lead however...

Good luck! - Slew