PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a race horse trainer

RacingFan1992
11-28-2013, 10:30 PM
I live in Michigan and I was curious what are the requirements to become a licensed race horse trainer? Is there a different license for trotters, pacers, quarter horses and thoroughbreds?

Mineshaft
11-28-2013, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=RacingFan1992]I live in Michigan and I was curious what are the requirements to become a licensed race horse trainer? Is there a different license for trotters, pacers, quarter horses and thoroughbreds?[/QUOT

I think each state has different requirements for being a trainer.

Dave Schwartz
11-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I would think that the first requirement is to really enjoy and understand horses.

To paraphrase Colonel Sherman T. Potter, "If you see stepping in manure as a tiptoe through the tulips then you are probably a good candidate."

RacingFan1992
11-29-2013, 12:55 AM
I think you summed it up you have to enjoy and understand horses. There are those who do it for the pure joy of training a racehorse and there are those who do it to win money and for the wrong reasons. You can decide for yourself who the true group of winners are.

johnhannibalsmith
11-29-2013, 01:24 AM
In terms of a simple checklist of things that you'd need to do to actually get the license:

- Must be able to licensed with the Racing Department. Usually means passing basic background check with fingerprinting and whatnot. Some places may give a cursory look at your ability to meet financial obligations.

- Must pass a written test. When I took mine it was around 150 questions that, for the most part, were questions that were answered based on experience and common sense or came directly from the rules of the state.

- Must pass a "barn" test... or be exempted from taking one. I think in some places you may need essentially references from other licensees that you are up to the task. In others, like in my case, that sort of endorsement may get you out of the barn test. Barn test generally involves hands-on types of stuff - running vet wrap, assembling a bridle, figure-8, saddling, etc, etc.

RacingFan1992
11-29-2013, 01:35 AM
I am no where near where some people are when it comes to getting my license. Do you need a license for every state that you run a horse in like if someone ran in the derby, preakness and belmont would you need to be licensed in Kentucky, Maryland and New York?

lamboguy
11-29-2013, 01:46 AM
I am no where near where some people are when it comes to getting my license. Do you need a license for every state that you run a horse in like if someone ran in the derby, preakness and belmont would you need to be licensed in Kentucky, Maryland and New York?you need a license in every jurisdiction that you run in. aside from passing a test, you have to pass FBI scrutiny and get fingerprinted. you go through these same procedures to become a jockey agent and an owner. in the case of being an owner you don't have to take an exam. also every state has a fee for licensing.

West Virginia used to be $15, its now $50 for an owner, but only $30 for a trainer and $20 for a Jock Agent. it is similar in other states, but you might also need a certificate stating that you are insured and have workmen"s compensation.

turninforhome10
11-29-2013, 02:10 AM
A very good exercise that will prepare you for taking the exams is this:
1)Take a bunch of old PP's and blacken out the weights that the horses are carrying so they are unknown.
2) Next using the weights listed by the racing conditions determine what weights the horse should carry.
3) Check your answers against what the horse carried. Try doing this with both journeyman weight and apprentice weight.

Your written test will have a lot of these type of questions ( at least mine did in Iowa). Knowing the condition eligibility and weight to be carried is a big part of entering horses.
My barn test consisted of knowing how to apply a standing bandage, a spider knee bandage, racing bandages with rundown patches and last but not least had to disassemble and assemble a racing bridle in under 5 mins. When I passed these tests I had to also saddle a horse on race day under supervision and got my license the next day.
Hope this helps and good luck.

RacingFan1992
11-29-2013, 03:07 AM
This is going to sound like a "well duh!" question but the tests you guys have taken has there been a lot of anatomy questions like where is this part located and where is that part located? I have only been following the sport for a few years so I am still new to how to assign weights to a horse. What is jockeyman weight and apprentice weight? Thanks guys for answering a lot of questions.

I just found a link that explained a lot of how a horse is handicapped.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090510182048AAEyP50

turninforhome10
11-29-2013, 03:49 AM
This is going to sound like a "well duh!" question but the tests you guys have taken has there been a lot of anatomy questions like where is this part located and where is that part located? I have only been following the sport for a few years so I am still new to how to assign weights to a horse. What is jockeyman weight and apprentice weight? Thanks guys for answering a lot of questions.

I don't remember a lot of anatomy questions on the written part but you will definitely need to know how to identify the parts of a horse and their interconnections to diagnose problems and talk to your vets and barn crew. Soft tissue, joints and function are a necessity. I do remember some anatomy during the barn test and pointing out locations as the stewards asked.

Weights are for "journeyman" -(full weight carried by a jockey who has fulfilled an apprenticeship), or Apprentice- gets a "double bug" until 5 wins are accomplished. Once five wins are made an apprentice gets single "bug weight and will carry said allowance for a period of one year. If the apprentice is injured or did not ride a certain amount of races due to outside factors( ie family problems, deportation due to alien status changes etc) an apprentice may appeal for more time. Once apprenticeship status is fulfilled the jockey becomes a "journeyman".
Some nice links
Equibase glossary
http://www.equibase.com/newfan/glossary-full.cfm#B
Very nice expanded glossary
http://www.thehorse.com/tools/glossary
My favorite basic Vet Guide
http://books.google.com/books/about/Horse_Owner_s_Veterinary_Handbook.html?id=QRCbHLC5 1aUC
More Advanced Vet Guide (an extended preview)
http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Comprehensive_Guide_to_Equine_Veteri.html?id=v twW4Yq-7ukC

The difference between a good trainer and a great trainer is in the details and proper communication abilities. Good stock does not hurt either. ;)

RacingFan1992
11-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Thank you so much. I have a lot of learning to do. I am only 21 years old so hopefully by the time I am ready to retire I will get my license. (The way things are going on with the government and the economy you will see me at 112 and sending up my first starter.)

rastajenk
11-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Texas has a study guide online for potential trainers. Link is here. (http://www.txrc.texas.gov/publications/TrainerStudyGuide_03_12.pdf) The overview of the whole process is here, (http://www.txrc.texas.gov/licensing/trainers_test.php) and the way they do things down there looks pretty much like other states I'm more familiar with. Hope this helps.

Also, most states honor a license earned after passing the test in another state. In other words, you don't have to take a test in every new state that you're planning to race in; just prove yourself once, and you should be approved for licensing wherever you go.

wiffleball whizz
11-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Can't believe there hasnt been a chemist comment yet

chadk66
11-29-2013, 09:38 AM

there were half a dozen anatomy questions if I recall. But the biggest things are the state regs., and as pointed out above lots of questions on how to determine horses eligibility for races, determining weight, etc. I got one question wrong on my test. The question was "what is stringhalt"? I had never heard of it. I asked the stewards what the hell it was. Neither one of the three could tell me :D

turninforhome10
11-29-2013, 10:04 AM
there were half a dozen anatomy questions if I recall. But the biggest things are the state regs., and as pointed out above lots of questions on how to determine horses eligibility for races, determining weight, etc. I got one question wrong on my test. The question was "what is stringhalt"? I had never heard of it. I asked the stewards what the hell it was. Neither one of the three could tell me :D
If you have a horse with stringhalt, you will find out really fast when you go to put them on a trailer. Shipped a half blind Star De Naskra mare with stringhalt one time and told the drivers. They both look puzzled and agreed. Got her back with a puncture wound in her stifle that took me months to heal up.
Stringhalt is an involuntary thrusting of of the back leg upwards. See video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVaQqQp7OhQ

RacingFan1992
11-29-2013, 10:52 AM
I wish there was just a uniform test and set of rules in the u.s. for everyone to take and had to follow to be a trainer. It varies in difficulty from state to state from what people have been posting.

Greyfox
11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Texas has a study guide online for potential trainers. Link is here. (http://www.txrc.texas.gov/publications/TrainerStudyGuide_03_12.pdf) .

Thank you. :ThmbUp:
That's an interesting link.
What is also interesting is that the Study guide makes no mention of physiology and performance, nutrition, conditioning, aerobic and anaerobic and so on.
I would think that those would be essentials for training any athlete - horse or human.

davew
11-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I wish there was just a uniform test and set of rules in the u.s. for everyone to take and had to follow to be a trainer. It varies in difficulty from state to state from what people have been posting.

What makes you sure that is what you want to do? do you like long days/nights, 7 days a week, nomad exisence moving around the country/world, low pay (unless you end up being one of the top handfull at a track)

If you want to be a trainer, you probably should get a job as a groom then assistant trainer for someone good. You will get paid (although probably not much) to learn and see other mistakes rather than make them on your own when it costs thousands at a time....

Disclaimer - I have never worked on backstretch, but that is impression I have. I would suggest going to the 'ask a trainer anything' thread and ask them what they would suggest. I am sure some started out on their own, but they may or may not recommend that as the best option.

Stillriledup
11-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Can't believe there hasnt been a chemist comment yet

Or, go to Amazon on Black Friday and purchase the "Lisa G training for dummies" edition. Training isnt hard for some people, get their licenses out of the bottom of cracker jack boxes and are winning 30 percent before the ink is even dry.

CryingForTheHorses
11-29-2013, 01:50 PM

The biggest rule is common sense,Taking a trainers test and being a trainer are 2 very different things,You need to work with the horses and learn their languauge!..In other words,You need to learn how to look after them properly,Learn abouut their problems and most of all learn how to handle them.All horses are different and each traing day can be a load of surprises.Dont think for a moment that passing a trainers test makes you a trainer!!

RacingFan1992
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I think Davew has a good idea. Work your way up the ranks from groom to assistant trainer to trainer. Just wanted to know what it took. If it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.

CryingForTheHorses
11-30-2013, 07:09 PM
I think Davew has a good idea. Work your way up the ranks from groom to assistant trainer to trainer. Just wanted to know what it took. If it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.

To be a true horseman,Your going to have to make a lot of life sacrifices!..This means no days off!!...No holidays like your friends are enjoying because the horse comes first!..A true horseman will sit with his horse all night if he is sick and do whatever he can to help him.To be a horseman..NOT a trainer is very different..A true horseman is developed over years and lots of trainers today are in it for the money and not the horse.A true horsesman is in it for the horse and the money comes later....My question to you..Have you ever been around these animals for any length of time?, Its always good to be able to mold people the right ways to do things the right way!..Horses arent machines,The thing is,For you to learn what makes a horse run smooth like a well oiled machine.! There is so much to learn beside passing some silly test that they give!..Good luck in your decision

PaceAdvantage
11-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Can't believe there hasnt been a chemist comment yetYeah, I was waiting for the cynics and Debbie Downers to drop by almost immediately...wonder how long it would have went if you hadn't opened your trap? :lol:

RacingFan1992
11-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I just have to say to you McSchell_Racing those words are the most true words that have ever been uttered about horse racing and some trainers could care less if they know what a horse needs. Some trainers, the horses have to follow their schedule and not the other way around. I have been around horses since I was little but not like at a track or we were never a big riding family. I grew up on a farm and its more of that the animals are pets instead of production based stock. We have a horse and a mule. Gypsy "Miss Blue Apache" (pedigree name) is a gray quarter horse who is 13 years old who is a big barreled mare and Betsy is a pony mule who is 18 years old. I was always taught to respect and understand animals. I go up to Gypsy (she hates to be near people) with my hands to my side and just lean on her and give her hugs and fuss with her. I do understand the hours will be long and as for a social life I would rather be around horses than people. I had one time someone asked me do I spend time with my family when I am not around the animals and I tell them that they are my family. I tell people that a race horse is more of an athlete than a football/basketball player because the horse doesn't voluntarily jab a needle is his body to make him faster or stronger. Just some thoughts.

green80
12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
What makes you sure that is what you want to do? do you like long days/nights, 7 days a week, nomad exisence moving around the country/world, low pay (unless you end up being one of the top handfull at a track)

If you want to be a trainer, you probably should get a job as a groom then assistant trainer for someone good. You will get paid (although probably not much) to learn and see other mistakes rather than make them on your own when it costs thousands at a time....

Disclaimer - I have never worked on backstretch, but that is impression I have. I would suggest going to the 'ask a trainer anything' thread and ask them what they would suggest. I am sure some started out on their own, but they may or may not recommend that as the best option.

That is some good advice, especially coming from someone who has never worked on the backside. I cannot add the same disclaimer.

thespaah
12-01-2013, 10:53 PM
35 years ago I took the Standardbred trainers exam for New York. It was far more in depth than I thought. There were tons of anatomy questions. There were questions on general and some specific care or the horse issues. There were questions on rules of racing. Questions on licensing of workers.
I passed the test, but in no way was I prepared at age 19 to be a trainer of a public stable.
The bottom line is no owner was ever going to hire me to train their horses.
The point is, one may have the knowledge to pass a test, but that in no way makes them a horseman. That takes years of experience.

thespaah
12-01-2013, 10:58 PM
To my knowledge you test in one state and upon passage, receive your license.
To be licensed in other states, you simply apply and pay the respective fees.
So if you are based in Oklahoma and ship to Texas, you do not test for a Texas license. You submit an application and pay a fee.

thespaah
12-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I just have to say to you McSchell_Racing those words are the most true words that have ever been uttered about horse racing and some trainers could care less if they know what a horse needs. Some trainers, the horses have to follow their schedule and not the other way around. I have been around horses since I was little but not like at a track or we were never a big riding family. I grew up on a farm and its more of that the animals are pets instead of production based stock. We have a horse and a mule. Gypsy "Miss Blue Apache" (pedigree name) is a gray quarter horse who is 13 years old who is a big barreled mare and Betsy is a pony mule who is 18 years old. I was always taught to respect and understand animals. I go up to Gypsy (she hates to be near people) with my hands to my side and just lean on her and give her hugs and fuss with her. I do understand the hours will be long and as for a social life I would rather be around horses than people. I had one time someone asked me do I spend time with my family when I am not around the animals and I tell them that they are my family. I tell people that a race horse is more of an athlete than a football/basketball player because the horse doesn't voluntarily jab a needle is his body to make him faster or stronger. Just some thoughts.
if you 'have a way' with horses, that's step one in the right direction.
Some people are just cut out for working with animals.
I can tell you with my limited experience with thoroughbreds, they can surprise you when you least expect it.
They are flighty, spooky, short tempered and some are downright mean.
Most of my horsemanship was with Standardbreds. Not an easy animal to deal with, but less 'maintenance' than the runners.
My advice is this: If you decide to get into this business, pick your spots carefully.
Before you take the plunge and make the effort to acquire a trainer's license, learn the ropes first. Go to a track. Get into the barn area. Talk to people. Find a job mucking stalls or hot walking. Get used to handling the animals.
If you are willing to do the crap jobs, you are on your way.
There are no short cuts. And nobody gets to skip rungs on the ladder.
Don't know this for certain but it is my guess that D.Wayne Lukas' son Jeff mucked stalls before Dad let him train horses.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 12:59 AM
The experts always start out as beginners.

Cannon shell
12-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Anyone wanting to be a thoroughbred trainer these days should just register with the gov't because you are probably crazy enough to qualify for a monthly check.

Seriously.

I'm sure that people in many professions could say this but if I was 21 the last thing I'd be considering doing is becoming a trainer unless you are independently wealthy and are just looking for something to do.

Trainers are now classified as either idiots, cheaters or geniuses. "Supertrainers" occasionally fall into all three categories.

You read on the internet about these big owners who supposedly give a damn about integrity but they are few and far between. Getting paid is a big problem, the amount of paperwork that small businesses are subjected to is getting to be impossible to keep up with (particularly tough for trainers who run in multiple states). I file paperwork quarterly in 3 or 4 states that I haven't run a horse in for years but I have learned that not filing and fighting it out with some bureaucrat is far worse. The workmans compensation laws are getting more and more onerous and policies more expensive. Tracks are charging for things they never did before, spending less and less on backside maintenance and track surfaces and seem to be more hostile towards backside employees than ever. Hay and straw prices as well as other expenses have gone way up yet day rates in most circuits outside of NY and CA haven't come close to keeping up with the increases. Backsides are getting more and more miserable as the gap between the haves and have nots widens.

Those are just things that have gotten worse over the last few years. You still have your normal trainer issues of unmotivated work force, jockey agents, bad weather, racing office problems, unrealistic owners, stall space, vet issues, licensing, etc.

Don't get me wrong as I prefer not working a 9 to 5 and have made a good living most years but being a trainer in 2013 heading into 2014 is not nearly as good of a profession as it was in 1999 heading into 2000.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. I am joking of course when I say that. Becoming a trainer for me is not something I am going to run out and apply for tomorrow morning. It was something I had considered at one time or another far into the future.

Cannon shell
12-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. I am joking of course when I say that. Becoming a trainer for me is not something I am going to run out and apply for tomorrow morning. It was something I had considered at one time or another far into the future.

My free advice is take up a far more lucrative career, make a lot of money and if the game still exists far in the future get yourself a good assistant and train your own.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Amen to that.

thespaah
12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Anyone wanting to be a thoroughbred trainer these days should just register with the gov't because you are probably crazy enough to qualify for a monthly check.

Seriously.

I'm sure that people in many professions could say this but if I was 21 the last thing I'd be considering doing is becoming a trainer unless you are independently wealthy and are just looking for something to do.

Trainers are now classified as either idiots, cheaters or geniuses. "Supertrainers" occasionally fall into all three categories.

You read on the internet about these big owners who supposedly give a damn about integrity but they are few and far between. Getting paid is a big problem, the amount of paperwork that small businesses are subjected to is getting to be impossible to keep up with (particularly tough for trainers who run in multiple states). I file paperwork quarterly in 3 or 4 states that I haven't run a horse in for years but I have learned that not filing and fighting it out with some bureaucrat is far worse. The workmans compensation laws are getting more and more onerous and policies more expensive. Tracks are charging for things they never did before, spending less and less on backside maintenance and track surfaces and seem to be more hostile towards backside employees than ever. Hay and straw prices as well as other expenses have gone way up yet day rates in most circuits outside of NY and CA haven't come close to keeping up with the increases. Backsides are getting more and more miserable as the gap between the haves and have nots widens.

Those are just things that have gotten worse over the last few years. You still have your normal trainer issues of unmotivated work force, jockey agents, bad weather, racing office problems, unrealistic owners, stall space, vet issues, licensing, etc.

Don't get me wrong as I prefer not working a 9 to 5 and have made a good living most years but being a trainer in 2013 heading into 2014 is not nearly as good of a profession as it was in 1999 heading into 2000.
Unrealistic owners.....Oh boy..Yeah I can relate. Having been in customer service in one form or another for the last oh, 25 years, I can say with zero doubt that people in general have become much more high maintenance. The expectations of some people are mind boggling.
It's like "oh perhaps you'd like me to come t your house and wash your windows"...That type of high maintenance. UHG!!!!
There is no a week that goes by where I am like the AFLAC Duck after listening to Yogi Berra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-EZf56AfYc

mountainman
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
The experts always start out as beginners.

Lots of handicappers fantacize about becoming trainers. And that's as far as it should go. The horse is a mysterious machine unknown still to tons of veteran horsemen. You can read 1,000,000 vet books, pay your dues on the backside for years, and remain comparatively clueless. And the trainers who DO understand that mysterious machine will pimp-whip you. They won't need better stock, and illicit drugging will be overkill. They will brutalize you on training skill alone. No intention of slighting your ambitions, sir. Just offering my perspective and a kind of advice you did not solicit.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't mind hearing all opinions from all sides of the spectrum.

Cannon shell
12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Unrealistic owners.....Oh boy..Yeah I can relate. Having been in customer service in one form or another for the last oh, 25 years, I can say with zero doubt that people in general have become much more high maintenance. The expectations of some people are mind boggling.
It's like "oh perhaps you'd like me to come t your house and wash your windows"...That type of high maintenance. UHG!!!!
There is no a week that goes by where I am like the AFLAC Duck after listening to Yogi Berra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-EZf56AfYc

I can't tell you how many times I have heard owners plan to get in the game with $25000 by claiming a $25000 claimer. Day 2 they are already behind.

I had an owner who should know better recently tell me that his soon to be 6 year old horse with barely more than 10 lifetime starts should be sound because he hasnt raced that hard.

I've trained for owners who want to double jump their horses in claiming price every time they hit the board because they dont want to lose them then complain about the expenses.

The worst is when you get a horse that they clearly have overpaid for as a 2 yo in training or yearling and are stuck running them over their head forever. Often they move them to a different trainer who immediately drops the horse in class

turninforhome10
12-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Do not confuse learning the training business as a shortcut to becoming a better handicapper. You will be left longing for both.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I have never been a handicapper and I never will be. Not that anything is wrong with handicapping.

thespaah
12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have heard owners plan to get in the game with $25000 by claiming a $25000 claimer. Day 2 they are already behind.

I had an owner who should know better recently tell me that his soon to be 6 year old horse with barely more than 10 lifetime starts should be sound because he hasnt raced that hard.

I've trained for owners who want to double jump their horses in claiming price every time they hit the board because they dont want to lose them then complain about the expenses.

The worst is when you get a horse that they clearly have overpaid for as a 2 yo in training or yearling and are stuck running them over their head forever. Often they move them to a different trainer who immediately drops the horse in class
One thing I noticed about owners is their failure to understand that owning racehorses is a business.
And the above is an example of how an owner does not understand this concept.
Sadly, for every one of this type that bombs out of the business, there are ten more ready to take their place. And they too will unwittingly lose their investments.

RacingFan1992
12-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Racing used to be owned by the big major families like the Woodwards, Whitneys, and Phipps. (Say what you want to.) I have no problem seeing the races being monopolized by these people who used to win every race. They at least knew how to run a functioning stable. They had homebreds that dated back to their great grand parents and the industry went to hell as soon as the families died off and the stock got dispersed. I will root for the Janneys and Phipps which I think are the last of the predominant racing families. (Correct because I probably am wrong). I will always tell people that Oxbow is owned by Bluegrass Hall LLC and not Calumet Farm because Calumet Farm and the devil red and blue silks are synonymous. The day they are back together and have a thriving stable, is when people can utter the name CALUMET.