PDA

View Full Version : shipping from warm to cold..no acclimation..."Go for Wand" Aq. 9th

sammy the sage
11-28-2013, 09:19 PM
two horses shipping from Cal. & Fla...should not have near the winter coat....good or bad?

from 70's to 30's for the HIGHS

Are the barns heated?

Is less coat an advantage or do they spend to much energy trying to stay warm...

I'll let the Baffert beat me...she's obviously had other issues as well...the other shipper...well not so sure about...

thoughts?

HUSKER55
11-29-2013, 04:53 AM
ever notice that even a house cat gets a thicker coat in winter? I think nature takes care of outside animals and I would like to think that the owners of these horses would take care of them as well.

I just use the ability and I never give climate change a thought.

Maybe I should.

chadk66
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
they will be blanketed while in the barn and on the way to paddock. at that point adrenalin will be high and being cold is the last thing on these horses minds. In fact horses love cold weather and some actually feel better in the cold after coming out of the heat. They actually take the cold better than the heat.

horses4courses
11-29-2013, 10:00 AM
What about the opposite scenario?
Euros to Santa Anita in early November.
Low 80s, even, is like a heat wave to them.
Didn't phase them too much, but another 10 degrees may well have.

chadk66
11-29-2013, 02:26 PM
yea california heat isn't like heat in the midwest and out east. humidity seems much lower out there and humidity is the kicker.

nijinski
11-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Besides the weather . What happened to 10-1 on Willet ?

PhantomOnTour
11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
I see a few folks around the web are surprised at the winner and at the poor effort by some others.

Here are my own humble top figs for this field:

My Pal Chrissy - 108, 109
Centring - 108, 112
Royal Lahaina - 111, 109
Street Girl - 104, 106
Willet - 105, 107
Fantasy Of Flight - 109, 106
Ol Donyo - 102, 102

I used the best two figs from this year.
The top two ran 1-2.
Granted, Lahaina's figs came in Mar & Jun, and she had been humbled twice vs GrStks foes...but she was capable of running fast enough to win this.

nijinski
11-30-2013, 12:21 AM
I see a few folks around the web are surprised at the winner and at the poor effort by some others.

Centring - 108, 112
Royal Lahaina - 111, 109
Street Girl - 104, 106
Willet - 105, 107
Ol Donyo - 102, 102

The top two ran 1-2.
Granted, Lahaina's figs came in Mar & Jun, and she had been humbled twice vs GrStks foes...but she was capable of running fast enough to win this.

Well done ! :ThmbUp:

pondman
11-30-2013, 11:11 AM
they will be blanketed while in the barn and on the way to paddock. at that point adrenalin will be high and being cold is the last thing on these horses minds. In fact horses love cold weather and some actually feel better in the cold after coming out of the heat. They actually take the cold better than the heat.

I wouldn't get carried away at the window with this analysis. There are methods and keys to betting shippers.

As you already know, most of the consideration must be given to a trainer entering the horse in a good spot.

If you looked at all shippers, you'd find that at most tracks less than 10% win. That's why I bet shippers, because the old gezzers, boxing speed ratings, say shippers never win.

chadk66
11-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't get carried away at the window with this analysis. There are methods and keys to betting shippers.

As you already know, most of the consideration must be given to a trainer entering the horse in a good spot.

If you looked at all shippers, you'd find that at most tracks less than 10% win. That's why I bet shippers, because the old gezzers, boxing speed ratings, say shippers never win.
sorry but I fail to see what your saying in regards to my point. but it's probably just me cuz I'm getting damn old.

iceknight
11-30-2013, 11:04 PM

Centring - 108, 112
Royal Lahaina - 111, 109
Street Girl - 104, 106
Willet - 105, 107
Ol Donyo - 102, 102

The top two ran 1-2.
Granted, Lahaina's figs came in Mar & Jun, and she had been humbled twice vs GrStks foes...but she was capable of running fast enough to win this. If these are you own unpublished figures (prior to the race), then you are redboarding.

PhantomOnTour
11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
If these are you own unpublished figures (prior to the race), then you are redboarding.
If someone wants to buy em then i'll publish em :lol:

Yep, I guess it is redboarding....sometimes you make a score that you are particularly proud of, and there's no one to crow to...so I do it here.
Forgive me :)

delayjf
12-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I would think that the colder denser air would help a horse coming from a warmer climate by allowing them to breath better. Any change like that could have a wake up effect.

iceknight
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Yep, I guess it is redboarding....sometimes you make a score that you are particularly proud of, and there's no one to crow to...so I do it here.
Forgive me :) But the public here is rough.. you need to find some other folks to boast to. haha :)

Congrats though!

Magister Ludi
12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
two horses shipping from Cal. & Fla...should not have near the winter coat....good or bad?

thoughts?

A better angle is the difference in altitude between training and racing locations. In one country in particular, a few successful trainers do their training at altitudes that are relatively much higher than that of their racing locations.

Exotic1
12-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Forgive me :)

Good for you on your score. :ThmbUp:

_______
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
A better angle is the difference in altitude between training and racing locations. In one country in particular, a few successful trainers do their training at altitudes that are relatively much higher than that of their racing locations.

Is it in South America?

I'm not all that familiar with any southern hemisphere racing but since humans train at altitude for endurance events (the body produces additional red blood cells to carry oxygen) I can see where this could make a larger difference in performance than a change in temperature.