PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Hell

jerry-g
11-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Today at 5:15PM I decided to go grocery shopping at my local superstore.
I arrived in the parking lot and notice an abundance of sheriffs deputy cars
and wondered what was up. Inside, I went about my shopping and noticed
some isles were blocked by people talking on cells phones and one with a
few sitting in lawn chairs. I parked my cart and made my way through so
I could get a can of something. At the register, the girls told me I was
lucky to be getting out of there when I was. I told them it does look as if
something is about to happen and asked if it was Black Thursday or something.
They just laughed and repeated what I had said to them. Outside I was
putting away my groceries in my trunk when a sheriff deputy was walking
by and he said, "Man, you decided to go grocery shopping in all this Madness!"
I told him it did look like something is about to happen and he looked at his
watch and said, "Yea, in about 40 more minutes all hell will be breaking loose."
On the way home I remembered that I saw a huge crowd hanging at the
electronics dept. and surmised they must be selling 70" TV's for $200 or
something. When I got home and pulled into my garage I hit the door
button and made sure it was down and secure before I got out of my car.
I don't want to take any chances during this season of madness.
I wonder sometimes what is wrong with our society when they are willing
to hurt, maim or kill someone over a bargain.

Rookies
11-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Black Friday has got to be America's yearly scheduled Insanity Event. Akin to the running of the buffoons at Wally-Mart. In 46 years of crossing the border and over 30 years of trips to the Outlaws in Pa, I never ONCE participated or even remotely had the slightest interest in lowering my mental capacity for the day.

When I shop now... And within 2 months I'll be retired, I want to enter a store when I can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone. I want to go from 10-11:30 a.m. and not on Senior (although I now qualify :lol: ) or any other special day or 1:30- 3:00 p.m.

The day the Spa allowed every doofus from the surrounding 9 counties to line up hours for a synthetic blanky, was the day we tok a pass on going! I don't wait for anything, timing most trips, work, etc to meet down times in the hassle department.

Why people would get into brawls for a $200 TV and line up forever is waaaay beyond me.

burnsy
11-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Rookies you sound like me. I go to wal mart at 7 am when i shop or at 11 pm.They have the self check out so i'm in and out. Would not be caught dead there today. Why would i be out (fighting the mob) when i can be sitting home, watching games, eating good food, drinking good beer and having a real holiday? The whole idea of "Black Friday" is pretty much a scam (for stores) or an excuse for people to act like morons. "Lets go trample the old lady so i can get a big screen." I heard there was already a "shoot out" at one store....Gee, i wonder why other cultures fight us when we try to "import" our "great" way of life :confused: .

These are the same folks that will brag how great our country and society is or tell you that we are a "Christain" people :lol: when they toss there coin in the in the donation plate on Sunday. Yet, they chase the "Golden Cow" of shiny, new things (garbage) like its scripture. Nothing wrong here..........get in line....i heard theres only 100 left.....my life depends on this. :ThmbDown: Maybe its because i'm a middle aged guy, but from my point of view, its pretty sick. Then again, half these people would say the same about me because i like the track. To each, their own......but c'mon its getting out of control, they can't even wait until its actually Friday now?

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Guy here in vegas had just left a store with a tv he bought and ended up getting shot/robbed. no thanks

jerry-g
11-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Guy here in vegas had just left a store with a tv he bought and ended up getting shot/robbed. no thanks

I feel sorry for that fellow. The retailer should be charged with creating a
dangerous situation. Last night, in Orange County, a father left his infant
in a car seat while he went inside to shop. At the same time, his wife was
in line to get a bargain. Authorities had to break the glass on one of the
windows to get the infant out. They booked the father into the Orange
County Jail. It's just wrong that parents place a bargain over the life of
their child. It was a cold night in Orlando last evening.

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2013, 06:23 PM
You can add a fatal stabbing in San Diego to the disturbing list.

Robert Goren
11-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Black Friday has got to be America's yearly scheduled Insanity Event. Akin to the running of the buffoons at Wally-Mart. In 46 years of crossing the border and over 30 years of trips to the Outlaws in Pa, I never ONCE participated or even remotely had the slightest interest in lowering my mental capacity for the day.

When I shop now... And within 2 months I'll be retired, I want to enter a store when I can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone. I want to go from 10-11:30 a.m. and not on Senior (although I now qualify :lol: ) or any other special day or 1:30- 3:00 p.m.

The day the Spa allowed every doofus from the surrounding 9 counties to line up hours for a synthetic blanky, was the day we tok a pass on going! I don't wait for anything, timing most trips, work, etc to meet down times in the hassle department.

Why people would get into brawls for a $200 TV and line up forever is waaaay beyond me.Because that is the only way they can afford that TV.

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Looks like a Long Island walmart worker was trampled to death too

so.cal.fan
11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
http://www.blackfridaydeathcount.com/ :rolleyes:

Grits
11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Because that is the only way they can afford that TV.

RG, I don't agree with this at all. There are people who simply want "the deal" and they'll roll over anything or anyone to get it.

On Tuesday evening, I watched young men in their late 20s, early 30s who've been camped out in tents for days outside of Best Buy for ELECTRONICS. All were friends, who look upon "the deal" as a "rush". They've been doing this for NINE years. One said, "I'll save $1200.00 Friday." It was cold as sin out--dummies!

Seriously, how much new electronics does one have to purchase per year? If you NEED electronics so high priced that they will garner you $1200 in savings each year ... I've got a bridge I'll sell you. This is NOT the only way someone can afford to purchase that TV or any other item. I'm sorry, it just is not.

PhantomOnTour
11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
What's that they talk about in horseracing all the time?
The wisdom of the crowd? :D

After seeing this ridiculousness I will try to beat even more favorites at the track :lol:

OntheRail
11-29-2013, 08:49 PM
The TV's and other electronic gadgets the push as DEALS are lower quality junk inserted into the spot where the normal quality junk sits. And they are still making a huge profit on these "SALE PRICES". The crap will not likely make it thru till next years BIG SALE DAY.

I will never inject myself into such insanity.

so.cal.fan
11-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Good point, Phantom on Tour.;... that said, most horseplayers, good ones are much smarter than the average citizens. They really are. Even you liberals on board here, are sharper than the average Black Friday. You're mistaken of course.....LOL, I'm sure no one here gets involved in this insanity....not when there are races to bet. ;)

boxcar
11-30-2013, 11:54 AM

Why people would get into brawls for a $200 TV and line up forever is waaaay beyond me.

Black Friday is just a prelude of what the full blown Purge will look like one day.

Boxcar

Tom
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Boxcar, a prelude to Obama-Zombies?