PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making a change in the Ridersup contest

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
A fellow member, rgustafson, recommended that perhaps we change the Ridersup from a pick-4 contest, to a pick-5 contest, now that NYRA has a Pick-5 bet in place.

The reasoning goes that it would be a bit more fair for all involved, would eliminate the mistake of someone forgetting to specify whether they are playing the early or the late Pick-4, and would also eliminate the problem of a card being cancelled late in the day and eliminating the late Pick-4 from consideration (a rarity, but could happen).

If we were to move to the Pick-5, we would still have the $200 bankroll and also allow the $.50 minimum....

The poll will close Sunday night.

What say you all?

horses4courses
11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm all for it. :ThmbUp:
It's a very interesting wager that I should pay more attention to.

The main reason I like the sound of it, though, is that it levels the playing field.
It also make life a little easier for hard-working score keepers.

You think that I might like sticking to a PK4 - I won this contest two years ago.
I'm right behind a PK5 contest........ :ThmbUp:

098poi
11-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I would be for it but I am not sure about the 50 cent minimum. I just worry I will be trying too hard to include every horse now. But if that's the way most people want to go I'm game.

dylbert
11-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Traditionalist here. Like playing P4 contest. Voted for its continuation.

One big hit and you win contest I like that angle if P5 contest occurs. Come on weekend carryovers!

Robert Goren
11-28-2013, 05:38 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As it is, it is one of the best contest held. A case can be made for running separate contest using the pick 5 in some matter though.

mabred
11-28-2013, 08:02 AM
change is good !!!

maybe we will have a shot now against Joe Prunes

then again maybe not!!!

Ma bred

davew
11-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I voted pick-5 just because the early and late Pk4 pools are different. Catching the early for $80 5 times is different than catching the late once for $4k. Since nobody can predict with great accuracy which will pay-off more, there is more luck involved having 2 Pk4 choices than 1 Pk5.

PaceAdvantage
11-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Early voting shows a decisive lead for "leave it alone." I'm kind of surprised...still a few more days to go...

cj
11-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Early voting shows a decisive lead for "leave it alone." I'm kind of surprised...still a few more days to go...

You are the boss, change it anyway!

PaceAdvantage
11-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm a man of the people cj...you know that... :lol:

cj
11-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm a man of the people cj...you know that... :lol:

Yeah, it's ok, we all have our flaws! Happy Thanksgiving!

Mineshaft
11-28-2013, 04:41 PM
So can anyone get in this contest? Where do we sign up?

Track Collector
11-29-2013, 12:55 AM
So can anyone get in this contest? Where do we sign up?

This contest is free to enter, but one does have to be a registered user on PaceAdvantage (which you obviously are).

A sign-up (registration) thread is expected to be put up very soon under the Forum Contest sub-section. There is still some separate but related work going on behind the scenes that needs to be worked out first, so please be patient.

Chris

GaryG
11-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I like it the way it is, not just because I am a traditionalist but because you can choose which races that you want to play. I haven't played for a few years but will be in this one.

Bobzilla
11-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Voted to keep the contest as it's been over the last ten or so years as I prefer the continuity. I like to use pricey singles as separators, if I can, and it's more possible to find one over eight races rather than just the first five. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the P5 contest if that's the way the vote turns out and right now there seems to be a lot of support for both. I'd even support the idea of the RidersUp being a combination contest which cumulates the returns of both wagers with the P5 wager on odd dates and the P4 on even dates.

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Only 4 votes separate the two, with just about 20 minutes to go in the voting...

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Looks like keeping it a Pick-4 has won out this year...

Ted Craven
12-06-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.sartinmethodology.com/images/pa/PACS_2014_MD.png

The Riders Up Memorial Pick 4 Contest Rules and Sign-up page is now open --> HERE (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108919).

The Contest begins next Saturday December 14 (first Saturday of the Aqueduct Inner meet) and runs through March/April 2014 (conclusion of the Inner Track meet).

The Contest remains a Pick 4 contest. Different from previous years is the new requirement to play at least 10 different days, and a cap on daily winnings of $5000. This is to encourage that prize winners earn their standing by repeated participation, and to minimize the effects of a few 'lucky' hits - to emphasize persistence and skill over luck.

Thank you to our returning Contest sponsor: Gapfire. (2014 prizes to be announced).

http://www.gapfire.com/images/drpark.gif

Ted

jgcanuck
12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Pick 5 sounds good