PDA

View Full Version : go figure

four m
12-07-2001, 05:59 PM
hi everyone,
p/u sat. racing form and liftin has a column about xtra heat and what a bad bet she may be, citing all reasons to bet against. go to his selections and who does he pick?? my $$ still on you guys.

PaceAdvantage
12-07-2001, 06:13 PM
Xtra Heat has been scratched out of the Garland Of Roses....she has apparently been affected adversely by the unseasonably warm weather here in NY and is off her feed....

==PA

Observer
12-07-2001, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a contradiction, but Litfin's job is to pick winners, despite their odds. Xtra Heat would have been a bad bet because her price would have been way too short .. from a betting perspective. But, strictly in terms of winning, regardless of odds, she's hard to look past, even if you find reasons why others might jump up to the challenge. So, seemingly a contradiction on the surface, it pretty much makes sense when you look a little deeper.

How many times do you look at a race and see one standout that just isn't worth betting because the odds have been pounded way below value?? So, instead you look to beat that horse with more justifiable value. That doesn't mean you like your value play from a winning prespective better than the other horse, it means the value play is a better betting move. Underlays, especially severe underlays, beg to be played against, but that doesn't mean their chances of winning are no good.

superfecta
12-09-2001, 12:36 PM
I would err on the side that Dave Liftin is a moron.
Not because of this one article,just on general principle.....
Here's an idea,how about writing a column about a horse you would bet on,that is not a favorite?
I am getting sick and tired of these column writers coming up with the same basic tripe.

Buckeye
12-09-2001, 01:18 PM
This is not something that just happened recently. Liftin's picks have been a joke for many years. I suppose this is not news to the Racing Form either. Liftin's job apparently is not dependent on the quality of his wagering advice. His picks are so bad that they are useful.

jennywilsonhrs
12-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Sometimes betting advice is good and sometimes it is not. For me, I have found that it is helpful to have a variety of perspectives; thus, I keep rotating the sites and writers that I read. To be honest, I have never read an article by Dave Liftin, but based on the comments here, I may avoid them when I come across them.

proximity
12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
2001?

without checking the sire and dam information, this almost HAS to be a full sister to stillriledup. :)

JustRalph
12-13-2013, 11:26 AM
2001?

without checking the sire and dam information, this almost HAS to be a full sister to stillriledup. :)

This threw me for a loop........I was scratching my head for a minute

Fingal
12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
2001 ? How some of these old threads are drug up is a mystery.

cj
12-13-2013, 12:38 PM
2001 ? How some of these old threads are drug up is a mystery.

Usually just new members using the search button and reading. It may be old, but it is still new to them.