PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1

pandy
11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Windows gave me a big update to version 8.1 today, took hours. Just a heads up, make sure you know your password because you need it to get back into windows after it reboots.

MJC922
11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Are you running it on a tablet? I'm kicking around the idea of jumping at the Dell that's on sale at WM today. I really don't need it but full Windows 8.1 on an 8in Dell tablet for $230 is really tempting.

pandy
11-26-2013, 04:15 PM
I have Windows 8 (now 8.1) on my Dell desktop. I assume all Windows 8 will receive this update eventually. I see that a few things are different but I'm not sure exactly what the update entailed, but it must have been a fairly substantial update, certainly the first big update for Windows 8. I'm going to look it up when I have more time. The only problem I can see people having is if they don't know their microsoft password because you have to log back in when it reboots and you can't access any files until you do. This is my first Dell. It has frozen up on me several times and I had to unplug it but it came back on fine. Customer service seems better than average.

MJC922
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
8 is a bit kludgy to use on a desktop IMO. I don't like having to hover corners of the screen with a mouse to get various menus to show up, but on a tablet it seems to be a nice enough OS. For the desktop I've heard some decent things about the free add-on known as Classic Shell which restores some of the old style start menu. It's interesting the 8.1 was a big download, they didn't change much as far as I know, they restored the start button but it's still not a start menu, it's just a toggle back to the tiles.

FiveWide
11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
I upgraded my tablet to 8.1 and too was asked for my Microsoft password. I didn't remember it and so just kept hitting don't remember or something like that. You'll still be able to log on with your local account and then can go online and reset your Microsoft password. Technically you don't even need a Microsoft password to login to Windows. You will need it if you download apps etc from the Microsoft store.

I need to read up on the changes some more. They added back the Start button which all it does that I can see is put you in Metro mode which can be done easier by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. And I also believe you can split apps 50/50 now instead of 75/25. You're supposed to be able to boot to desktop too but I've not looked into it yet.

-Five

MJC922
11-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Ahh, now I understand what you guys are talking about, you have the windows live account set up. My only experience with Win8 so far at work has been using traditional local user accounts, haven't done anything with app store etc.

DRIVEWAY
11-26-2013, 10:16 PM
I have Windows 8 (now 8.1) on my Dell desktop. I assume all Windows 8 will receive this update eventually. I see that a few things are different but I'm not sure exactly what the update entailed, but it must have been a fairly substantial update, certainly the first big update for Windows 8. I'm going to look it up when I have more time. The only problem I can see people having is if they don't know their microsoft password because you have to log back in when it reboots and you can't access any files until you do. This is my first Dell. It has frozen up on me several times and I had to unplug it but it came back on fine. Customer service seems better than average.

Do you know the maximum memory your Dell can support? How much memory do you have? What will it cost to max out? The Microsoft OS tends to be a memory hog.

Check with Dell about freeze-ups. If you have stretched your memory to it's max during usage that may be the cause. I'm quessing that you're a power user so configuring max memory is a reasonable upgrade.

Ask Dell what system improvements you'll get with a memory upgrade?

Just food for thought.
Happy Computing.

pandy
11-26-2013, 10:36 PM
My system has 8 GB of Ram and an Intel 3Ghz i5 processor so it shouldn't freeze up. I haven't contacted Dell about, but you're right, I should and see what they say.

pandy
11-27-2013, 07:59 AM
My Dell one year warranty is up, just noticed that now if you want customer service you have to pay for it. I always bought HP computers, but I can't remember if they have free customer service. Then again, I never needed it.

headhawg
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Check with Dell about freeze-ups. If you have stretched your memory to it's max during usage that may be the cause.Possibly, but that's what the pagefile is supposed to be used for. Power users typically run multiple apps at once, but even with that, 8GB should be enough. I agree that more is better, but it's the exception that normal users need more than 8GB.

I'm lucky that I know enough to build my own boxes. I don't have nearly the same issues that others report when they buy off-the-shelf stuff. That said, I'm using Win7. Win8 makes no sense to me unless you have a touch screen, and that's still pretty useless unless we are talking about a tablet/smart phone.

pandy
11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Possibly, but that's what the pagefile is supposed to be used for. Power users typically run multiple apps at once, but even with that, 8GB should be enough. I agree that more is better, but it's the exception that normal users need more than 8GB.

I'm lucky that I know enough to build my own boxes. I don't have nearly the same issues that others report when they buy off-the-shelf stuff. That said, I'm using Win7. Win8 makes no sense to me unless you have a touch screen, and that's still pretty useless unless we are talking about a tablet/smart phone.

Dell has been heavily discounting their machines and I would imagine that leads to using cheaper components. The profit margins in that business are small compared to years ago, which is one of the reasons why Dell had to go private again. HP is also struggling with low margins.

judd
11-28-2013, 06:10 AM
My Dell one year warranty is up, just noticed that now if you want customer service you have to pay for it. I always bought HP computers, but I can't remember if they have free customer service. Then again, I never needed it.

like my lenova

SchagFactorToWin
11-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Build your own. It's not hard and you get better components w/o spending more.

TJDave
11-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Build your own. It's not hard and you get better components w/o spending more.

That hasn't been my experience. Show me.

DRIVEWAY
11-29-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/help-me-choose/hmc-memory-consumer?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Maybe this will help clarify your memory needs.

SchagFactorToWin
12-01-2013, 03:03 PM
That hasn't been my experience. Show me.

I used this site for my first build: http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_parts_list.shtml

After that, it was easy. Just completed another build last year.

headhawg
12-01-2013, 05:49 PM
TJDave may have been referring to the fact that it doesn't cost the same or less to build a box with better components, and I am inclined to agree. Maybe compared to a boutique manufacturer like a Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, or Alienware it's a little cheaper. Maybe. But for most people it isn't practical to do a build anyway, mainly because of customer service and warranty issues. If you build it, you are your own tech support and you have to deal with any warranty issues yourself. I just like the idea of being able to choose what components that I am using for the build. Staying away from buying unknown crap -- like the components in a Dell or HP 'puter -- gives me better piece of mind. And a better performing box.

judd
12-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Windows gave me a big update to version 8.1 today, took hours. Just a heads up, make sure you know your password because you need it to get back into windows after it reboots.

yesterday mine was updated(tried to) but after 20 mins or so said had to re-install windows 8 because couldn't update windows 8.1 but gave no explanation
anybody know why couldn't ??