View Full Version : Another new startup

upthecreek
11-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I received an email about this new site

https://thorobid.com

Looks like a lot of interesting info

letswastemoney
11-25-2013, 03:41 PM
I worked for them for a while. In fact, I wrote a blog post for them one time.

https://thorobid.com/post/breeders-cup-juvenile-fillies/934

The main point of ThoroBid is that it helps spot overlays and underlays, according to the percentages put in for each horse. For example if you think Goldencents has a 30% chance to win the Cigar Mile, that's what you put in and you keep putting in percentages until it reaches 100% for the race.

ThoroBid will tell what your fair value is for each horse after the percentage is put in, and that can be compared both to the real odds and the ThoroBid community by giving out real time updates of the actual odds, and giving out the average allocations of each horse and the "community" odds based on those allocations.

TJDave
11-25-2013, 06:33 PM
If I were a whale I could think of no better resource than the best of the best of crowd knowledge.

HUSKER55
11-26-2013, 11:49 AM
LOOKS INTERESTING. have you guys used it or are going to use it

Robert Goren
11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I really don't see the point. You can do the same thing with excel. I was hoping they had something new that help you come up with the %s. I didn't see that.

raybo
11-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I really don't see the point. You can do the same thing with excel. I was hoping they had something new that help you come up with the %s. I didn't see that.

I agree. Doesn't this approach depend on the skill of the people putting in the percentages? At least according to some, a smaller percentage of the public will never do better than the public, if that smaller percentage has average skill. Law of large numbers right? If one has only average skill in assessing a horse's probabilities of winning a particular race, then final tote odds would be at least as good as yours, and probably much better. If you are above average then why would you look for confirmation from any group, smaller or larger? Remember, the public odds are, according to many here anyway, superior to what any individual can produce. However, one must remember also that those public odds are based on the universe of races, not just the ones you personally are involved in. So, if you are above average, in the races you analyze, likely the public will be below average in those races as a whole.

The key to all this is your own skill in assessing win probability, you are either good, average, or poor in that regard. The trick is in determining which category you fall into. Serious looks in the mirror will tell you that. After all, most of the "really good" analysts' money won't be seen until after you have placed your bets.