PDA

View Full Version : What's up at Fairgrounds? 90 mins between races???

horses4courses
11-22-2013, 07:17 PM
There has to be a reason for this, but I can't think why it is.
Fairgrounds has a 90 minute gap between posts for the 5th and 6th races.
Someone please fill me in........

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Probably the "alternative race day" thing with the camels and ostriches. Today is Friday, right? Opening day?

Edited:

Guessing so:

Opening day qualifies as a Starlight Racing card although first post is 3 p.m., a couple hours earlier than the regular Friday night programs. The last of the nine races, however, won’t be run until almost 10 p.m., since the program is enhanced – or burdened, depending on your take – by “exotic” animal races, two for ostriches and one for camels. There are three 1 1/2-hour gaps between actual horse races to allow for the non-wagering contests to be conducted.

http://www.drf.com/news/fair-grounds-opening-day-comes-early

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Good god.

:bang:

You can't make it up!

horses4courses
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks.

I saw a thread here before on the ostrich races.
Little did I know that they were being paraded through the paddock, and in front of the grandstand, as well. :faint: :eek:

Imagine being a serious horse player at the track, and having to endure that?
I hope they brought in bus loads of ornithologists........

Beachbabe
11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I would think the ostriches are sprinters, maybe going 4 furlongs, tops. The camels are definitely marathoners. After all, they've been known to cross the Sahara, so I would imagine you couldn't get a good handle on their talent till they've had a few 100 furlong works.

horses4courses
11-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I would think the ostriches are sprinters, maybe going 4 furlongs, tops. The camels are definitely marathoners. After all, they've been known to cross the Sahara, so I would imagine you couldn't get a good handle on their talent till they've had a few 100 furlong works.

Do these fellas have one hump, or two?
I figure if I'm a camel jockey, I'm looking at two.

Clocker
11-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks.

I saw a thread here before on the ostrich races.
Little did I know that they were being paraded through the paddock, and in front of the grandstand, as well. :faint: :eek:

Are they using ostriches as stable ponies also?

horses4courses
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Are they using ostriches as stable ponies also?

I believe they can choose between an emu and a kangaroo :liar:

Robert Goren
11-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Who says they aren't in the entertainment business?

Clocker
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
I believe they can choose between an emu and a kangaroo :liar:

Will the choice between the two be included in the past performances?

Handicapping ostrich races is hard enough without critical information like that.

burnsy
11-23-2013, 01:45 AM
c'mon......Shake Your Tail Feather...

Tom
11-23-2013, 11:53 AM
So, is it the track's marketing strategy to use t-bred races to draw in the ostrich and camel crowd? :D

PhantomOnTour
11-23-2013, 02:25 PM
So, is it the track's marketing strategy to use t-bred races to draw in the ostrich and camel crowd? :D
A sleeping giant, a veritable untapped gold mine in the pari mutuel world