PDA

View Full Version : NFL teams that have given up

Valuist
11-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I won't include Jax in here, because the expectations were so little, and its a first year coach. I'm talking about teams who've had fairly solid expectations; veteran teams who've disappointed, and are now ready for the season to end. Tampa also has played much better the last 3 weeks, and despite the rumors on Schiano, the team looks like they are still trying.

Houston- started 2-0 and have lost every game since. They had two very tough losses to Seattle and Indy where they managed to find ways to lose games they certainly should've won. Watching the Jennings 80 yard run against them last week provided visual evidence they've given up.

Atlanta- many thought they were a bit of a fraud last year, as they won a bunch of close games and had a shaky D. Take Julio Jones away, Roddy WHite and Stephen Jackson miss time and this team is in huge trouble.

Washington- This team was 3-6 last year before winning out to take the NFC East. This shouldn't have been hard to see, as much of their offensive firepower last year was based on a healthy, mobile RGIII. Now tons of finger pointing, terrible defensive play and Shanahan will likely be out at the end of the season.

Minnesota- a bit of a fraud at 10-6 last year, many felt they'd probably be last in the NFC North but its hard to imagine just how terrible their D has been. Josh Freeman certainly not the answer. Frazier likely out the day after the season ends.

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Useful angle the last few weeks of regular season. :ThmbUp:

Often doesn't matter how high they set the line against the dud teams.
Poor performance can always be excused by the desire to gain a higher draft pick next year.

Stillriledup
11-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I've done a lot of thinking in the past (and in the present of course) about teams who 'quit' on the year or have given up. I've determined that the toughest thing to do is hone in on a team who has literally quit like dogs and here's why. Players are essentially playing for cash, they're not playing for wins and losses. They're playing for their next paycheck, so, there arent too many players quitting on themselves. Those guys are all still playing hard because they know that every play they make (or dont make) is on tape and their next prospective employer, or even their current ones, are watching.

If you quit on a play or a game, they know it., They all know it, all the GMs and team presidents know which players play hard all the time despite the score and which guys don't.

From a TEAM standpoint, Houston is underachieving. In the fragile NFL, you have lots of teams who have worse records than they're supposed to and a handful of teams who are winning like crazy. (and then there's the Patriots who always seem to have a winning record no matter how many injuries they have).

Houston had a "quit on the season" type of game vs STL, and i thought to myself "those guys are done, they've given up" but low and behold, they came back the next week vs undefeated KC and played a whale of a game, fighting tooth and nail to the end, i saw that game and they were playing with a boatload of passion.

I asked myself "where was the passion the week before?" and i wasnt able to answer that.

Look at the Jets. They "quit" at Cincy losing 49-9 and then the same team beats the Saints the following week? Whoever said the Jets are "done" lost money the following week betting on Nawlins.

So, i think its a dangerous thing to just bet against these teams who supposedly "quit" there are a lot of examples of these teams who laid an egg and the following week, just when you thought they were finito, here they come playing like their hair is on fire.

its a TOUGH league to handicap, the teams are SO inconsistent that its almost better to bet on teams who got slaughtered the previous week, that seems to be an ok angle.

Jay Trotter
11-20-2013, 06:57 PM
I doubt too many team "give up". They may be ineffective and the result might become even more dire as they struggle to keep up with the competition. As mentioned people are playing/coaching for their futures. It would be a rare example to see a team that truly gave up.

Maximillion
11-20-2013, 07:03 PM
I won't include Jax in here, because the expectations were so little, and its a first year coach. I'm talking about teams who've had fairly solid expectations; veteran teams who've disappointed, and are now ready for the season to end. Tampa also has played much better the last 3 weeks, and despite the rumors on Schiano, the team looks like they are still trying.

Houston- started 2-0 and have lost every game since. They had two very tough losses to Seattle and Indy where they managed to find ways to lose games they certainly should've won. Watching the Jennings 80 yard run against them last week provided visual evidence they've given up.

Atlanta- many thought they were a bit of a fraud last year, as they won a bunch of close games and had a shaky D. Take Julio Jones away, Roddy WHite and Stephen Jackson miss time and this team is in huge trouble.

Washington- This team was 3-6 last year before winning out to take the NFC East. This shouldn't have been hard to see, as much of their offensive firepower last year was based on a healthy, mobile RGIII. Now tons of finger pointing, terrible defensive play and Shanahan will likely be out at the end of the season.

Minnesota- a bit of a fraud at 10-6 last year, many felt they'd probably be last in the NFC North but its hard to imagine just how terrible their D has been. Josh Freeman certainly not the answer. Frazier likely out the day after the season ends.

You were certainly right about Atlanta (and that division)
I picked Atlanta vs Houston for the SB :D
I guess it was too much to ask for them to even remain in contention until November.....and they just got lit-up by quarterbacks named Matt Mcgloin and Mike Glennon.

DJofSD
11-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Do what happens in the English soccer leagues: bottom 3 teams in the Premier league get relegated to the champions league -- a step down. And the top 3 in champions move up to the big time.

I guess for American football, they could be sent down and play in the Canadian league.

Phantombridgejumpe
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I think Tenn may make this list soon.

ManU918
11-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Do what happens in the English soccer leagues: bottom 3 teams in the Premier league get relegated to the champions league -- a step down. And the top 3 in champions move up to the big time.

I guess for American football, they could be sent down and play in the Canadian league.

This wouldn't work in the NFL. To many teams are horrible one year and pull it together the following year. Look at this year for example. The Eagles and Chiefs were two of the worst teams in all of football in 2012. Now they are in 1st place in their division.

Valuist
11-21-2013, 10:57 AM
This wouldn't work in the NFL. To many teams are horrible one year and pull it together the following year. Look at this year for example. The Eagles and Chiefs were two of the worst teams in all of football in 2012. Now they are in 1st place in their division.

Absolutely. It really comes down to turnovers and injuries. If you are on the wrong side of those ledgers, you have no chance.

Clocker
11-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Absolutely. It really comes down to turnovers and injuries. If you are on the wrong side of those ledgers, you have no chance.

I think that there is enough parity in the league, at least in the middle of the pack, that a few factors like these, and a couple of good or bad trades or draft picks, can mean making or not making the play-offs from one year to the next. And if you aren't playing for a power house team, the chance of squeaking into the play-offs next year can keep your hopes up.

DJofSD
11-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I understand why both responses are more or less correct.

I would just add one difference between soccer and football makes a relegation scheme a poor fit is the length of the season. The longer schedule for soccer would allow a key player a chance to come back and help his team at least stay out of the relegation zone whereas a football player may not.

But I still think there's a pucker factor for the football team and players that might motivate them. It's one thing to shoot for post season glory but it is another to keep your collective asses from being demoted.

Valuist
11-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I think that there is enough parity in the league, at least in the middle of the pack, that a few factors like these, and a couple of good or bad trades or draft picks, can mean making or not making the play-offs from one year to the next. And if you aren't playing for a power house team, the chance of squeaking into the play-offs next year can keep your hopes up.

One other factor: if you finish last in your division, you get a last place schedule. One of the big keys to the Colts big turnaround last year, along with the top pick in the draft, was capitalizing on an extremely kind schedule last year. OTOH, when a team like Minnesota makes a big rise up to go 10-6 last year, they had to play a 2nd place schedule this year. And that hasn't gone well for them.

Show Me the Wire
11-21-2013, 02:29 PM
One other factor: if you finish last in your division, you get a last place schedule. One of the big keys to the Colts big turnaround last year, along with the top pick in the draft, was capitalizing on an extremely kind schedule last year. OTOH, when a team like Minnesota makes a big rise up to go 10-6 last year, they had to play a 2nd place schedule this year. And that hasn't gone well for them.

Like horse racing, a drop in class can make you a winner and a big rise in class usually makes you a loser.

proximity
11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
OTOH, when a team like Minnesota makes a big rise up to go 10-6 last year, they had to play a 2nd place schedule this year. And that hasn't gone well for them.

the ONLY difference in schedule between the first and last place teams are the two conference cross division games. minnesota has lost both of those games this year (sea, car), BUT they lost both of them last year too (was, tb).

Valuist
11-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I think we can add Washington to the list. A complete non-effort in a Monday night home game. Maybe if Cousins starts. I'm a big fan of RGIII but he looks like he's still hurt.

RaceBookJoe
11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
I think we can add Washington to the list. A complete non-effort in a Monday night home game. Maybe if Cousins starts. I'm a big fan of RGIII but he looks like he's still hurt.

Redskins performance last night was probably the most pathetic thing I have seen in 40yrs of being a fan. From coaching down to special teams nothing but a steaming pile of monkey crap.

Robert Goren
11-26-2013, 06:41 PM
It look to me like the rest of the offense has a real dislike for RGIII.

RaceBookJoe
11-26-2013, 07:02 PM
It look to me like the rest of the offense has a real dislike for RGIII.

If you mean that the Oline is terrible and the wr's cant catch a cold..i agree, otherwise its a total lack of talent that is done with Shanahan. Also coaching, terrible gameplan from Kyle S, Haslett is a pathetic defense coordinator and Burns shouldn't even be allowed back in the stadium.

Relwob Owner
11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Redskins performance last night was probably the most pathetic thing I have seen in 40yrs of being a fan. From coaching down to special teams nothing but a steaming pile of monkey crap.

The trouble started last year in the playoffs against the Seahawks. How Shanahan let RG3 play is beyond me. His excuse was that RG3 wanted to....isn't his his job with his position and experience to tell him no? They had a capable backup who would have given them a better chance of winning that game and wouldn't have potentially ruined the career of the quarterback they mortgaged their future drafts to get.

Maximillion
11-26-2013, 10:23 PM
The trouble started last year in the playoffs against the Seahawks. How Shanahan let RG3 play is beyond me. His excuse was that RG3 wanted to....isn't his his job with his position and experience to tell him no? They had a capable backup who would have given them a better chance of winning that game and wouldn't have potentially ruined the career of the quarterback they mortgaged their future drafts to get.

For me,danger signals went up last year when RG3 "consoled" Tony Romo in the make or break game last year.I felt as a rookie he was out of line,and would have probably been served better had he just kept his mouth shut.