PDA

View Full Version : Ostrich races at the Fair Grounds opener

Quagmire
11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Anyone know the reason for the ostrich and camel races?

http://www.drf.com/news/fair-grounds-opening-day-comes-early

The last of the nine races, however, won’t be run until almost 10 p.m., since the program is enhanced – or burdened, depending on your take – by “exotic” animal races, two for ostriches and one for camels. There are three 1 1/2-hour gaps between actual horse races to allow for the non-wagering contests to be conducted.

HPFridays
11-20-2013, 11:32 AM
They're a gimmick used to attract a non-racing fan to attend the races, much like the weiner dog races. I went to the ostrich race night at PRM a few years ago and attendance was way up from a normal Saturday night. If FG is going to resort to ostrich races I'd say schedule them on a day that isn't likely to attract many attendees, not opening day.

precocity
11-20-2013, 12:17 PM
what are the odds? :cool: screw it I will bet the :1: :D

Lasix67
11-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Is there ever any good news about this sport anymore?

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
what are the odds? :cool: screw it I will bet the :1: :D

If they slashed the takeout on the feathered bird races, would people bet it?

Please, don't anyone answer that.......... :faint:

Quagmire
11-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Will there be a double on the 2 ostrich races??

Robert Fischer
11-20-2013, 09:00 PM
an ostrich on my watch list

ROAD RUNNER :ThmbUp:

appistappis
11-20-2013, 09:37 PM
stupid camel race, i got beat by a hump.

precocity
11-21-2013, 07:33 AM
an ostrich on my watch list

ROAD RUNNER :ThmbUp:
:D

stuball
11-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Rosie tweeted that she worked 6 horses she said she is baaaaack and
looking forward to FG. ;)

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2013, 11:11 AM
They do this at TuP just about every year and sadly, it's the one day in a long meet when people actually show up. Of course, it's also one of the only days they actually promote. Admittedly, it can be pretty entertaining most of the time if you go to the track.

Quagmire
11-21-2013, 11:27 AM
They must love them in New Orleans too:

Other highlights of Nov. 22’s opening night schedule include exotic animal racing featuring camels and ostriches (slated for early in the evening to accommodate families) and a Mascot Race, pitting the track’s “Gentilly Billy” against other New Orleans area mascots. The exotic races are especially popular, Conner says. Last year more than 10,000 people came out for them.

I would just hate to go to the track and see only four horse races in 4.5 hours.

shouldacoulda
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
They must love them in New Orleans too:

Other highlights of Nov. 22’s opening night schedule include exotic animal racing featuring camels and ostriches (slated for early in the evening to accommodate families) and a Mascot Race, pitting the track’s “Gentilly Billy” against other New Orleans area mascots. The exotic races are especially popular, Conner says. Last year more than 10,000 people came out for them.

I would just hate to go to the track and see only four horse races in 4.5 hours.
Or 4 Ostriches. That would be worse. :D