PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Qualifying

PhantomOnTour
11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Some massive games in Europe tomorrow.

Portugal v Sweden...either Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo will not be going to Brazil
France v Ukraine...down 2-0 after leg 1, France needs a huge performance or they will shockingly not qualify for Brazil 2014.

After a subpar performances in the last World Cup, French soccer is in big trouble if they fail to make it to Brazil.

TJDave
11-18-2013, 06:14 PM
French soccer is in big trouble if they fail to make it to Brazil.

Even without the WC. The new government imposed a huge tax on player salaries payable by the teams.

PhantomOnTour
11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Even without the WC. The new government imposed a huge tax on player salaries payable by the teams.
Their domestic league isn't among Europe's elite.
Their best players are playing abroad, like
Ribery
Nasri
Clichy
Koscielny
Sagna
Giroud
Varane

and surely some others i'm not aware of...just shocked that a squad with those above names may not qualify.

horses4courses
11-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Their domestic league isn't among Europe's elite.
Their best players are playing abroad, like
Ribery
Nasri
Clichy
Koscielny
Sagna
Giroud
Varane

and surely some others i'm not aware of...just shocked that a squad with those above names may not qualify.

Patrice Evra

You're right. The French League is well down the ladder in Europe.
A hefty salary tax on it's players will only make it worse,
although it's hard to see most of them getting work in another country.

Paris St. Germain has been trying to purchase marquee players (not including Beckham).
They will probably have to ease off on that now.

World Cup qualifying?
It's not that huge a shock if France don't make it - the Ukrainians are useful.
If Ukraine can score tomorrow, they are nearly certain to qualify.
Just don't see France scoring four goals.

Sweden/Portugal is fascinatingly poised, but I think it's advantage Portugal.
They have the ability to score away from home, and that is huge now.

I watched the Croatia/Iceland game last week.
Rooting for Iceland (just for kicks) - but they look overmatched here.
Croatia should have scored in Iceland, but game ended without a goal.
Iceland aren't bad, but they lack an impact player such as Modric.
But, you never know....I'd love to see a small country like Iceland make Brazil.

Greece/Romania? Greece should hold on, unless they self-destruct.

Interesting games.....and we will know all qualifiers this week :ThmbUp:

cj
11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Some massive games in Europe tomorrow.

Portugal v Sweden...either Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo will not be going to Brazil
France v Ukraine...down 2-0 after leg 1, France needs a huge performance or they will shockingly not qualify for Brazil 2014.

After a subpar performances in the last World Cup, French soccer is in big trouble if they fail to make it to Brazil.

Ibrahimovic!

horses4courses
11-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Ibrahimovic!

Huge final 10 minutes for these countries.
Sweden needs a goal, Portugal needs to hang on.

France/Ukraine is dead level now with 30 mins to go.

cj
11-19-2013, 04:22 PM
...and then Ronaldo!

horses4courses
11-19-2013, 04:24 PM
...and then Ronaldo!

Hat trick for Ronaldo.....brilliant

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Great action today...forgot about Evra and Benzema on the French team.
How could that group not make it to Brazil?

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Great action today...forgot about Evra and Benzema on the French team.
How could that group not make it to Brazil?
...and the French have made it with a 3-0 win over Ukraine.

Just imagine - we almost had a World Cup without Mexico, France and Cristiano Ronaldo & Portugal....they will all be there next summer.

Now - who's gonna win?
Will have a firmer opinion when I see the draw, but it's basically going to be Brazil or Argentina and nobody else.
Euro teams have never won a WC held in the western hemisphere, and I expect that to hold once again.
Obviously, Brazil will have a huge lift by playing on home soil, but I am kind of leaning towards Argentina and the best player this game may have ever seen in Lionel Messi to win it all !

horses4courses
11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
32 teams are known now, barring monumental folds from Mexico and Uruguay.

I wouldn't rush to crown Brazil, or Argentina, just yet.
There's a long way until June, and at least a few other teams with a shot.

precocity
11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
mexico game tonight at mid night? :rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2013, 07:18 PM
The game is in New Zealand

cj's dad
11-19-2013, 10:44 PM
1 AM EST on ESPN

NZ sux- they have no chance to overcome their deficit

mexico game tonight at mid night? :rolleyes:

precocity
11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Hat trick for Ronaldo.....brilliant

Ronaldo was in beast mode!!!!!

precocity
11-20-2013, 09:14 AM
well mexico kicks azz, pernalta had a hat trick now what? what about the players that play overseas? and what the hell is going on with vela and the mexican national team? too much corrupt crap going on over there. chicharito?
giovanni, aquino, guardado,

if there so called super stars can't play together keep it the way it is.

Dave Schwartz
11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
The name "Ronaldo" brings back memories. As I recall, Brazil also had a guy with a similar name on the team.

Fell in love with Soccer when I was in school in the U.K. George Best was our "local" hero, coming from Belfast.

Hard for me to believe that I used to watch the World Cup games, considering how little I pay attention these days. Actually attended the finals in 2002.

Are Brazil and Germany still the powerhouses they were back then? French still doormats?

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 09:24 AM
well mexico kicks azz, pernalta had a hat trick now what? what about the players that play overseas? and what the hell is going on with vela and the mexican national team? too much corrupt crap going on over there. chicharito?
giovanni, aquino, guardado,

if there so called super stars can't play together keep it the way it is.

It's a bizarre situation, alright.
Leave your best players out because they earn big salaries abroad. Nice.

Many will now think that because they hammered NZ, they are better off with only Mexican league players.
That can't be true. Those players will have to be in the squad for Brazil, or they are shooting themselves in the foot.

At the end of the day, though, it really doesn't matter.
Whoever Mexico selects for Brazil, they have little chance of making the second round. :ThmbDown:

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 10:32 AM
The name "Ronaldo" brings back memories. As I recall, Brazil also had a guy with a similar name on the team.

Fell in love with Soccer when I was in school in the U.K. George Best was our "local" hero, coming from Belfast.

Hard for me to believe that I used to watch the World Cup games, considering how little I pay attention these days. Actually attended the finals in 2002.

Are Brazil and Germany still the powerhouses they were back then? French still doormats?

Yes, Dave - there was a Brazilian Ronaldo playing in recent years.
Both of them are very talented.

Brazil and Germany are constants in the top-5 world soccer powers.
Next year, Brazil are favored to win the WC as host nation.
With a young, very talented squad, they are the team to beat.

France has had much success since their weak teams of the 1960s, 70s.
Players such as Platini and Zidane improved their fortunes, the height of which was a WC win as hosts in 98.

You had to mention George Best :) - my favorite player.
I, too, grew up in Ireland, but down south in Dublin.
In 68, aged 10, I first attended school there. Every boy followed a soccer team in the English leagues.
I knew only US baseball, having come from Chicago, but had heard of two players - Bobby Charlton and George Best.
Which teams do they play for, I asked? Both play for Manchester United.
Supported MUFC ever since, and it's been lots of fun.

Few players can equal George Best's raw talent.
Messi and Maradona, for sure - the rest? well.......
Loads have been fitter and more accomplished, but George Best was a genius.
Watching him on the ball could put you in a trance.
Brings back great memories.

FKBEL29P2Lc

DeltaLover
11-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Greece is already in BRAZIL..

1ExL_cvh7ks

In the begining it seemed to me off side... Of course I was wrong (thank God!)

Dave Schwartz
11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
horses4courses,

So, different Ronaldo? (I told you that I don't follow any more.)

Players such as Platini and Zidane improved their fortunes, the height of which was a WC win as hosts in 98.

If memory serves, France was eliminated in its first 3 games in 2002, the year after they won.

We got our tickets from the French delegation (gray market), who, three days before the finals packed up and left town. That's how we wound up in the 6th row. :jump:

That stadium was just nuts for the Brazilians in that game.

George Best: I remember that every time he played in Belfast, when he'd get the ball the whole stadium would stand up. Of course, he couldn't score... he was always triple-teamed. LOL

I also remember hearing people say, "Pele? Who?"

Dave

PS: Loved Dublin back then. My first trip to Dublin on the train from Belfast, there was a fight and a guy went halfway out the window. Bled to death on the glass. Wild time.

PPS: Great video. He was the Mickey Mantle of soccer.

PPPS: I just watched that video again. I just love that 6-goal game. I recall living in Belfast at the time and people just went nuts.

TJDave
11-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Players such as Platini and Zidane improved their fortunes

Zindane was a great player but arguably cost France the cup in '06.

TJDave
11-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Many will now think that because they hammered NZ, they are better off with only Mexican league players.
That can't be true. Those players will have to be in the squad for Brazil, or they are shooting themselves in the foot.

At the end of the day, though, it really doesn't matter.
Whoever Mexico selects for Brazil, they have little chance of making the second round. :ThmbDown:

Mexicans are resigned to the fact that TRI can't win. Mexico has had the talent to win the cup several times over. There are Mexican psychologists who specialize in explaining that Mexican star players can't function as a team and the half-serious joke is that club Chivas (which only fields Mexican players) would better serve as their country's representative.

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 07:09 PM
So, different Ronaldo?

Yep.

Both are (were) great players, so it's easy to get confused with their names coming up so often.

Brazilian Ronaldo (played 1993-2011)

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/D/Ronaldo-de-Lima-9463212-1-402.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo

Christiano Ronaldo (Portugal - active player who started in 2002 as a pro)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/audio/video/2013/11/20/1384943813871/Cristiano-Ronaldo-and-Zla-016.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo

horses4courses
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
If memory serves, France was eliminated in its first 3 games in 2002, the year after they won.

We got our tickets from the French delegation (gray market), who, three days before the finals packed up and left town. That's how we wound up in the 6th row. :jump:

That stadium was just nuts for the Brazilians in that game.

George Best: I remember that every time he played in Belfast, when he'd get the ball the whole stadium would stand up. Of course, he couldn't score... he was always triple-teamed. LOL

I also remember hearing people say, "Pele? Who?"

Dave

PS: Loved Dublin back then. My first trip to Dublin on the train from Belfast, there was a fight and a guy went halfway out the window. Bled to death on the glass. Wild time.

PPS: Great video. He was the Mickey Mantle of soccer.

PPPS: I just watched that video again. I just love that 6-goal game. I recall living in Belfast at the time and people just went nuts.

Dave,

You must have had a great time at the WC in 2002.
Japan/S.Korea would have been a soccer haven for that month.
I remember it for all the wrong reasons - star player Roy Keane bailing out on the Republic of Ireland team just before it all started. Last week he was hired as assistant coach for Ireland - sometimes memories are very short.
But that's a whole different story....... ;)

I took that same train trip from Dublin to Belfast many times, but none as dramatic as yours (thank goodness!).

The video clips of George Best really are a memory jogger.
He played in different jerseys over the years, but all those clips in green were from games for Northern Ireland.
You're right - he was always a huge target for opposing defenses when he played for his country.
He was practically a one-man team in those days. Great stuff.

DJofSD
11-20-2013, 08:02 PM
The best match I watched yesterday was not for WCQ. It was the international friendly between Honduras and Ecuador. Intense.

Right now, my dark horse for WC is Chile despite the loss to Brazil.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but the excitement is building, building, building. I just hope they ban those damn horns they had in South Africa.

P.S. Just saw this, speaking about intense:
Preparations will begin in January, and ESPN's John Sutcliffe reported during Wednesday's broadcast that one of Mexico's friendly games will be against the USA in Los Angeles in January.

Dave Schwartz
11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Horses4C,

Yes, it was a great time. I was actually there for the horse racing; working with a new client. (That did not work out. The worst human being I ever met. Westerner, BTW.)

He purchased the tickets for us to go. $2k a pop as I recall. On the way into the stadium, people had signs: "Will 2 buy tickets for $4k," "2 tickets for $6k." I asked, at what point will you sell? He said, "I guess I would take $10k."

Sure enough, there was a guy holding a sign that said, "Will buy 2 tickets for $10k." But he decided not to sell.

BTW, here is a picture of my ticket: Note the sticker price of $800 USD.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/WorldCup2002/WC2002-1.jpg

DJofSD
11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
And, Dave, that was back when a buck was worth something!

This just in: Luis Suarez and Uruguay are going to the WC.

thaskalos
11-21-2013, 12:00 AM
You had to mention George Best :) - my favorite player.
I, too, grew up in Ireland, but down south in Dublin.
In 68, aged 10, I first attended school there. Every boy followed a soccer team in the English leagues.
I knew only US baseball, having come from Chicago, but had heard of two players - Bobby Charlton and George Best.
Which teams do they play for, I asked? Both play for Manchester United.
Supported MUFC ever since, and it's been lots of fun.

Few players can equal George Best's raw talent.
Messi and Maradona, for sure - the rest? well.......
Loads have been fitter and more accomplished, but George Best was a genius.
Watching him on the ball could put you in a trance.
Brings back great memories.

How quickly they forget...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8M23dsMKY

DJofSD
11-21-2013, 12:35 AM
And France punches a ticket to South America but only because Ukraine had an OG. Ouch.

PhantomOnTour
11-21-2013, 12:52 AM
A dark horse I am looking at is Belgium.
They can score goals, and may surprise some people & get to the knockout round or even the quarters.

thaskalos
11-21-2013, 01:11 AM
Zindane was a great player but arguably cost France the cup in '06.

"The Maestro"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mXGMcpA0g

precocity
11-21-2013, 07:35 AM
And France punches a ticket to South America but only because Ukraine had an OG. Ouch.

ehh last time it was a handball ticket to south africa!